Samsung forum

Unable to connect samsung smart tv to laptop hotspot.

by w600i / April 30, 2013 12:31 AM PDT

I bought a samsung smart tv and i dont have a router but i made my laptop as hotspot wi fi router.When i connect my tv to wireless network it says it cant connect to the network.What is the problem.But i can connect my iphone wi fi to the internet.I am using win 7.

It says Connected to wireless network but not to the internet.What should i do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to connect samsung smart tv to laptop hotspot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to connect samsung smart tv to laptop hotspot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I don't think that's supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

There are so many reasons for this to not work beyond it being outside a supported setup. In parting try Virtual Router and let's hope you didn't use any "bridge" setting. Again, good luck in getting this to work but I fear you won't get much support.

Collapse -
May be
by w600i / April 30, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

But i am able to use iphone wi fi with this,so should i buy a router to make this work??

Collapse -
Can't tell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: May be

But let's get the details out so folk can comment. The supportable setup is the usual internet (cable, dsl) and your common router but I can't tell what you have or what you did to make a hot spot.

I did drop a hint about what software to try.

Your questions make me ask this question. Do you feel it's time for the TV makers to provide a full service? That is, to come out and not only do repairs but setup internet and more?

Collapse -
you are right some how..
by w600i / April 30, 2013 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't tell.

I just created a hotspot to use wi fi with my iphone.I have a cable modem connected to my laptop.I thought that as i am accessing wi fi in my mobile so that i can access it in my smart tv but dint worked :\

Collapse -
I don't think I can help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:55 AM PDT

I asked for details and got partial information. I supplied a name of the software router to try and can't see where you tried it. I fear you may need to call in some support to have them fix it or install the router.

Collapse -
Did that
by w600i / April 30, 2013 1:42 PM PDT

I already installed virtual router manager v1.0 and whenever i enter the details and click start virtual router it says

An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers(Exception from HRESULT:0x80040201)

Dont know what to do?

Collapse -
How to research that error.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Did that
Collapse -
Connect smart TV to laptop/PC
by JonesyBrown / April 30, 2013 3:23 PM PDT

There is program which lets you turn your PC/laptop into hotspot to share internet either via ethernet or wi-fi. It is called connectify. I use it to share internet from my laptop to my android phone.
There is a slight problem however, not all devices work with the program so there is no guarantee your TV will get internet and also the version which allows you to share 3G internet isn't free. I'd test it on another internet connection if you can or try and find a trial version just to make sure it works.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.