Android forum

Unable to connect Samsung Galaxy S2 to PC using USB

by bcadej / January 10, 2012 6:06 AM PST

When I connect SGS2 (Samsung Galaxy S2) to PC using USB the PC just gives me a yellow triangle and says that it does not recognise the device.

I had Kies. Uninstalled it. Reinstalled it. It didn't solve the problem.

What does MTP mean on SGS2? How do I run/stop it on phone? Where can I find it (system services?)?

What driver do I need to reinstall or remove on PC?
PC: Win7 64 bit

Samsung Galaxy S2: not rooted
Model: GT-I9100
Android: 2.3.3

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove broken HTML due to forum submission bug on 01/11/2012 at 5:19 AM PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to connect Samsung Galaxy S2 to PC using USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to connect Samsung Galaxy S2 to PC using USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
sprint galaxy 2 recent android update
by aadler954 / August 16, 2012 3:16 AM PDT

recently sprint updated my galaxy ....lost all my playlists and settings..... BUT when i hook up to my pc it wont recognize my phone in MTP? it now ha two options one for photos and one for movies music ect..... how do i get my pc to recognize my phone in MTP so i can tranfer music ect?

Collapse -
by kevinchen1102 / September 24, 2012 6:43 PM PDT

reset ur phone,does it help?

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you install the USB driver for this device?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2012 6:45 AM PST
Collapse -
not connect to pc
by suri977 / December 25, 2012 7:22 PM PST

your usb cable is defect,,,

Please check it and again connect

Collapse -
My USB cable is fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: not connect to pc

Watch which post you reply to.

Collapse -
download link
by jujukoja / January 24, 2012 3:51 AM PST
Collapse -
I had the same problem for weeks
by Uro_Ben / January 24, 2012 12:35 PM PST

Collapse -
by tyrfenrir / March 16, 2012 12:50 PM PDT

So yeah, I was having trouble with my cable, used to work then it would only charge not transfer files. Tried shooting it up with some compressed air and bingo, everything is working fine again.

Thank you!

Collapse -
really helpful thanks Ben!
by dave_berwyn / May 22, 2012 8:30 PM PDT

I have been trying to install new drivers, change settings etc for 1 hour +

I then saw Ben's post...

I didn't have compressed air or alcohol, instead i used the edge of a piece of paper to get into the narrowest gap of the phone's usb recepticle, plus blew hard into it and straight away the phone connected!

Collapse -
by victorsaunders / July 10, 2012 6:45 PM PDT

I changed the cable, that worked fine.

Collapse -
This works for me..!!
by frozenluv2002 / July 19, 2012 3:17 AM PDT

I have tried many things but at last when i cleaned the phone's usb receptacle with tiny paper its working like charm. But do it little carefully while cleaning with paper as it might get struck inside the port.

Collapse -
usb cable not working..
by aish_________ / January 2, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: This works for me..!!

hii... i ve tried cleaning with a still my usb is nt working.. wenever i try to transfer files it gets freezed..its not creating any probs in chargin bt only in data transfer..wat should i do?? I m fed up like hell since this cable wen connected reads the phone and card bt donot transfer any files.. i attempt around 15-20 times removing and restarting the phone and lapi then by chance it works hardly once...

Collapse -
This old discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 1:48 AM PST

Is going to be closed today.

Try what others have noted and be sure to include the items noted (other cable, PC and using the memory card or wireless/WiFi/Bluetooth for transfers.)

I'm encountering more and more PC and cable issues and rarely a phone issue. But that's here so that's what I'm seeing.

As this post nears it's 1 year old date, it's now closed. Start a new discussion to get the best results.

Collapse -
same problem
by victorsaunders / July 10, 2012 6:43 PM PDT

Yes, me too. The phone charged fine, so I had exactly the same problem.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for posting this solution.

Collapse -
by eddo85 / December 16, 2012 11:40 PM PST

you just saved me a lot of time Grin

Collapse -
this is how you transfer files between your phone and PC...
by 7moon12 / January 24, 2012 1:41 PM PST

i have the sprint galaxy s2 epic 4g so these steps should work for you ...
plug the USB cable into your phone.
click 'settings' on your phone then click on the 'wireless and network' option
scroll down to and click on 'USB utilities'
a box should pop up on your phone saying 'connect storage to PC' so click on it
now plug the other end of the USB into your PC
a box should pop up on your phone saying 'connect USB storage' so click on it
2 boxes should pop up on your PC that now allow you to see your phone's files. On my PC
'k' is my phone's memory and 'L' is my phones memory card. When you're done moving files between
your phone and PC, just click on the 'diconnect storage from PC' box on your phone and you can
now diconnect the usb cable from the phone and PC. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks 7moon12, worked!
by Shaunmartina / February 17, 2012 6:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Still not able to connect
by punti1980 / March 5, 2012 2:02 PM PST

HI Guys,
I am using Samsung Galaxy SII EPIC 4G.I had done the same as mentioned above and was able to transfer files for just one time. Now wenever I connect the phone to laptop, it shows only camera reader. It doesn't shows the mass storage options with drive names.
Wenever, I click on the "Connect USB storage" after attaching the cable, it shows that "USB is coonected, Remove the cable"
Pls help how could I easily connect the phone to the laptop using usb cable

Collapse -
using keis and trying to use your phone...
by 7moon12 / March 6, 2012 1:14 PM PST

as a mass storage device are 2 completely different applications. you don't have to be running one of these apps to run the other. when i first got my galaxy, i plugged the usb into the phone and my pc expecting my computer to correctly read my phone's memory and memory card-but instead got the camera reading box you reffered to. i got the correct instructions for using the galaxy s2 as a mass storage device directly from and choosing the 'support' tab at the top of the page.
this is the link...
i do remember the first couple of times i used the instructions that if i plugged the usb cord into my PC without pressing the correct instructions on the phone first that the camera reader icon popped up on my PC. i had to close the camera reader window, unplug the usb cable from my PC so that it didn't read it anymore and start over again. if you're still having issues, maybe your local sprint store will show you how to do it in person. mine offered to show me until i figured out how to do it myself.

Collapse -
an addition to my above post,
by 7moon12 / March 6, 2012 1:26 PM PST

punti80, if you click on the link in my above post you'll see that the instructions are pretty straight forward. but if you want to see screenshots of the instructions, click on the underlined 'click here' which is under the 'mass storage mode' heading towards the top left of the page! hope this helps.

Collapse -
"Page Not Available"
by jimbofla / August 22, 2012 5:36 AM PDT

Comes up "Page Not Available".

Collapse -
by punti1980 / March 20, 2012 10:31 PM PDT

This is perfect....

Collapse -
I used this idea!!
by RawrzBabi / April 3, 2012 12:11 PM PDT

Hello, I have just got my samsung galaxy sII today and I read your instructions and would you believe that it works!! Omg! thanks so much!

Collapse -
mine dosent work
by j488l3 / April 5, 2012 6:46 AM PDT

hi there i have tried wat you sed and a box pops up on mine saying usb is connected remove the cable butt wen i remove it nothing happens i want to transfer all my files lyk photos and videos music etc on to my laptop that doesnt have bluetooth or i want to transfer all the files onto my sd card but no option is available

Collapse -
About using the SD CARD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: mine dosent work

Many are put off by nothing that looks like Windows Explorer on Android but we do have ES FILE EXPLORER (see google marketplace) that is free and lets me copy files from one folder to another and of course the memory card that I can pull and get at on my PC.

I am finding more and more folk overly challenged with PC's, drivers and more so don't feel bad. Also the cell phone makers are not doing PC Windows support so find a good guru to sort it out if your android won't connect up.

Collapse -

I have been fiddling with my Galaxy SII for weeks now, trying to figure out how to connect it to the computer and transfer files between the two. I even tried downloading the compatibility software, but nothing I tried worked. Thanks for this!

Collapse -
Thanks, 7moon12. Your solution worked, and 2 thoughts.
by jnplatt / July 2, 2012 8:28 PM PDT

I have owned my S-II for only two weeks, AND SO FAR I LOVE IT !!!!!! I have moved beyond the "what is a home page" phase to downloading apps, populating pix on the contacts, migrating legacy music/pix, etc. To do the latter, we of course could use USB connectivity. And just like on my prior cell phone, per your instructions, we have to tell the phone to go into USB connection mode. After spending hours trying to figure it out, I found your instructions, and they worked flawlessly. Thanks for that. Nicely done!

Note: My PC is running Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

Two thoughts:
1. Just as I got your way to work, my son (who has owned his S-II for a couple of months), came home and pointed out another easy way. When we plug in the USB cable, a notice is displayed in the top bar saying "USB Connected." When we drag down the Notifications window we can click on the "USB Connected" line item, and that takes us to the screen where we can click on "Connect to USB Storage". Right after that, the PC recognizes the phone as a "Removable Disk" and we can "Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer". Easy! (The PC still tries to install drivers, but I cancel out of those).
2. *** VERY IMPORTANT! *** Part of my original problem was that I was connecting the USB cable to an unpowered USB Hub. For me that does NOT work! The phone and the PC get in a deadly embrace, repeatedly connecting and immediately unconnecting. I don't have a powered USB Hub, so I cannot comment on whether that works. For now, I am connecting directly to the USB port on the PC. Hope this helps! Happy

Collapse -
Unable to connect Samsung Galaxy S2 to PC using USB
by Sabinelong / July 7, 2012 8:20 PM PDT

I followed these steps but it still refuses to connect.. the PC refuses to see the samsung galaxy SII 4G

Collapse -
(NT) Other PCs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2012 12:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Awsome Post...
by vj_aswath / July 21, 2012 2:07 PM PDT

I jus did wats said above....
Everything worked fine...
Thank u very much....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.