Samsung forum

General discussion

Unable to connect network interference

by mikethecpa / March 14, 2011 12:33 AM PDT

I've seen where others have had this issue and different suggestions to fix. If somebody has a solution please help!

I have a Samsung 52" LED TV (series 7)and a Samsung BD player (BD-C5500C). The tv is in my home theater in the basement and the player is in my 1st floor family room. They each have a CAT5e cable connecting them directly to my linksys router (each has its own connection on the router.)

The TV had been working great with internet@TV and netflix. So, I bought the Blu-Ray player to have Internet@TV in my family room.

Since that time I have been having the trouble. At first I could not get the Blu-Ray player connected because of network interference. Finally one day I got it connected. Just following the instructions and using the "auto" settings. After that the TV didn't want to connect all the time? Network interference!

For example, I went down to the basement to watch some the basket ball tournaments. I decided to give the youtube app a try while I waited for the game to start. Wow, it worked like a charm. I watched the first half of the basketball game and decided to watch some more Youtube at half-time. "unable to connect due to network interference". What!!!

I hope Samsung can solve this. I logged on for Chat support and was told none of their other customers where having this problem. I ended the chat because I know based upon the various forums this is not true and if this person doesn't even admit it is reality then they don't have a solution.

Somewhere in the hardware and software that allows the Samsung TV's and Blu-Ray players to connect to the internet a programmer put in some code that says if "this" happens (whatever "this" is?) Display the following error message on the screen...."unable to connect due to network interference". If some technician or engineer could determine what "this" is maybe they could offer a real solution?

Maybe you can't have both Samsung devices on the same router because they both utilize the same IP address and it is first come first serve on my router?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to connect network interference
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to connect network interference
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unable to connect network interference
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 15, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

While there might be a device that is interfering (such as a wireless phone, or other electronic wireless device), it's also possible to receive that error when you go directly to the app immediately after starting the unit. If you're powering on the unit, give the unit about a half a minute to connect to the Internet before launching apps.

In most cases, network interference is simply the result of people immediately starting an App before the unit is connected to the Internet. Since the player wouldn't recognize that it is connected, is displaying a message that it can't connect.

Does that help?

Collapse -
Unable to connect network interference and Netflix
by keotters / March 15, 2011 4:51 PM PDT

I've been getting a very similar issue while trying to get Netflix working wirelessly using the following model TV - UN46C6500VF with the latest firmware installed. I have repeatedly verified that all wireless network settings are correct and everything is working correctly (tv network speed check work fine). I've even tried replacing the router with no luck either.

When I start up Netflix it works fine for about a minutes and then locks up. I hit the exit button, it takes several minutes to exit out (none of the buttons on the TV or remote work at this point), and occasionally the TV shuts off for no apparent reason. When the TV does stays on, if I check the wireless network settings they come up as not working and if I try to access netflix again I get the "unable to connect due to network interference.

If I shut the TV off, wait a minute or so, turn it back on, check the network settings, and everything is fine again. I've spent hours trying to resolve the issue...very frustrating since the wireless internet access and the ability to watch netflix was what got me interested in the TV in the first place.

ISP - Comcast
Router - Cisco Linksys e4200 with the last firmware

Collapse -
Unable to connect network interference and Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2011 5:04 AM PDT

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a problem getting Netflix to plan your TV.

There are two suggestions I have to try to remedy this:

The first one is to deactivate your television on the Netflix account. In some cases, deactivating and then reactivating your account can fix some issues. By deactivating the account, it may trigger a reset for the television and how it connects with your account.

The other option is to run the plug-and-play option in the Setup menu. This will effectively reset the television, including the picture and audio settings, but will give you a fresh start with the Internet@TV interface. To do this with your remote, press the following buttons:

Menu > Setup > Plug and Play > [Enter]

If that still doesn't help, the unit may need further troubleshooting with a Samsung customer service agent. To reach Samsung for additional assistance, they can be reached at 800-SAMSUNG.

Keep me posted.

Collapse -
Same problem, then new one
by cmorrow50 / July 9, 2011 12:48 AM PDT

We had the identical problem with our Samsung using a wireless setup, the internet would frequently freeze up, then just as described as above, nothing would work for a bit, then we could back out of the internet back into the cable mode, although sometimes the only way out was to turn off the tv then start all over. HOWEVER, we never got the 'network interference' message.

We had a CAT-5 line installed. It worked great for about two days, especially nice that we didn't have any freezing problems. THEN we started getting the 'unable to connect due to network interference' while trying to access the internet -- Netflix, Yahoo widgets, all the same.

Why with the CAT-5 line and not with the wireless?? AND, the problem is not limited to just Netflix - it is anything that we have installed on the internet.

Help please.

Collapse -
Odd that internet freeze up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2011 3:59 AM PDT

Last time I heard this story it was a failing router or modem. But the story is incomplete so I can't look into if the router or modem is known to give trouble.

Collapse -
I have a similar problem too. very frustrating.
by jhesch100 / September 6, 2012 10:15 AM PDT

It only does it once and a while. Not sure if it is the tv or blue ray player.

Collapse -
Make the call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 1:25 PM PDT

And if it continues to fail, consider the usual option of returning products that don't work out for us. I know this is unpopular with the makers but it helps correct the problems.

Collapse -
"Network Interference" message on Samsung TV 2 days ago
by glass50 / April 8, 2015 2:27 AM PDT

Wired internet connection. Uverse worked fine, viewing pics and videos on my LAN worked fine, viewing Netflix with a WiFi connected iPad on 2nd HDMI worked fine. So I called Samsung this morning. They solved the problem with Samsung remote->menu->network->network settings->start->wired->next->(Runs a test which showed red X between LAN and WAN)->IP settings->DNS mode (Change Auto to Manual)->DNS server (change to four "8"s.
All was good.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Thallosu / April 11, 2015 8:11 AM PDT

Worked perfectly! In laws think I'm a genius, thanks to this post!

Collapse -
holy crap, it worked!
by BridgetJonesing / April 24, 2015 2:54 AM PDT

Thanks so much, soooo glad this was the first thing I tried! (After all the manual tinkering with wires, rebooting the router, cussing, ignoring it for two days, then finally getting online to look for an answer.) Four 8's? Well I'll be good goshdamned if it didn't work like a charm. Thanks so much for taking the time to post that info here!

Collapse -
DNS Server: Four 8's
by Gobears84 / May 5, 2015 12:08 AM PDT

Network interference problem started when we installed a new wireless thermostat. I reset the modem, unplugged the TV and nothing changed. Entered in the four 8's as described above and we immediately had network access again.

Collapse -
Excellent Solution to Network Interference
by sdomfe / July 11, 2015 2:36 PM PDT

This solution perfectly worked for me on my Samsung Blu-Ray. My Blu-Ray was able to connect to my NETGEAR router, but I could not pass the DNS to connect to the Internet. After manually changing the DNS address as described above, the system connected. I'm now able to use all my Apps. Thanks for the posting.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.