Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Unable to clear some e-mails from Windows live.

by Akey57 / September 3, 2012 4:33 AM PDT

Dear All, I have a batch of about 30 emails I received sometime last year, from a wide range of sources, that stubbornly refuse to disappear from the "unread email" folder of Windows Live Mail on my computer. I am unable to open them and they will not respond to being tagged as "read". I get the message: "A problem has occurred - try again." I try again to no avail!

I think that they are all messages that came via Hotmail, but I cannot be sure - I several email accounts that I use thro' Windows Live Mail.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. It is an irritation!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to clear some e-mails from Windows live.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to clear some e-mails from Windows live.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the old trick?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 4:36 AM PDT

That is you select some other email that you can delete then CONTROL + CLICK to add the one that does not. TWO EMAILS are highlighted then you tap the DELETE key.

It's an old school trick but I find today's owners rarely know it.
Bob

Collapse -
Did you try the old trick?
by Akey57 / September 3, 2012 7:26 AM PDT

Bob, Many thanks for this. I tried it, but they still will not shift!

Thanks

Adrian

Collapse -
Next up? Kees notes the other method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

It's a play of a different type but you get the idea. Since you can't delete the one or two, you toss out the container or folder.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: deleting
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 8:16 AM PDT

Move all other mails from that folder to a new one, then delete the whole folder. Either inside WLM or, if that fails, delete the dbx-file in Explorer.

Kees

Collapse -
Still no joy..
by Akey57 / September 3, 2012 6:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: deleting

I have tried to do this, but the emails still appear as unread in the unread emails folder. I am not given the option of deleting this folder. The emails do not appear unread anywhere else. Is this a problem with headers????

Adrian

Collapse -
Re: deleting
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: deleting
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.