Android forum

Question

unable to charge non-supported battery see user manual

by Lil_Red_Pony / June 6, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy Prevail from Boost Mobile. Sometimes when she plugs the phone into the charger she gets the following message: unable to charge non-supported battery see user manual. I downloaded the user manual from the Samsung website, but it does not say anything about the message. This is the same battery that came with the phone. I checked the battery part number (EB504465VA), and did some research. From everything I can find it is the correct battery for the phone, so why does it still give the message? How can we fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unable to charge non-supported battery see user manual
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unable to charge non-supported battery see user manual
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

If it was some other charger I can see from an electronics angle why this might happen.

I doubt it is fixable unless a new battery will help. The problem with Boost is there are no known service centers. When a Tracfone dies my advice is to get another (same service problem.)

Find those receipts and call Boost for support.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
unable to charge non-supported battery see user manual
by jphm1962 / July 17, 2011 5:59 AM PDT

I have the very same problem with an android Samsung Charge.
Along with the phone i bought the car cigarette lighter adaptor to recharge the phone while driving. I was very surprised to get the same message.
Therefore I don't think there is anything wrong with the charger, the problem must be coming from the phone itself.
I would have liked to think that my phone was just a bad number, but considering the number of people complaining about this problem is very worrisome.
<div>Also, the fact that a message says: "see user manual" but there is absolutely nothing about this message in the user manual shows a lack of seriousness in Samsung products. While we are not expecting a product to be perfect, we could at least expect it to be coherent.
</div>

Collapse -
Here's why no one supports other chargers and batts
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 6:23 AM PDT

Look back to the BATTERY FIRE days. It spooked all the makers and sometimes you get to use only the chargers by the company that made the phone.
Bob

Collapse -
clueless
by jphm1962 / July 17, 2011 9:26 AM PDT

forgive me, Bob, I tried very hard to understand what you meant, but in spite of the searches I did on the battery, on the phone, and on the Internet for both "Battery fire days" and "it spooked all the makers", I still don't know where to start.
Thank you. <div>JP
</div>

Collapse -
The battery fire days does not help fix this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: clueless

It only explains why the makers locked down batteries and chargers. Some folk get upset when we explore why this all happened. Many don't care, they just want it fixed.

If using the maker's battery and charger fails, you have a warranty issue.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/28/tech/main652128.shtml for example was 2004 and I find many to have a short memory about this. Companies can not afford to forget.
Bob

Collapse -
Less clueless, but still without a cell phone
by jphm1962 / July 17, 2011 3:26 PM PDT

Thank you bob. I understand your point. It is very unfortunate that counterfeit batteries caused injuries, and like everything in life, accidents and incidents create new rules and life becomes more and more complex . For instance, I bought my cell phone at a reputable Verizon store 3 days ago. It came with an original battery, the one described in the manual. The package did not look like someone had ever touched anything inside. The first time I plugged the phone to fully recharge the battery, I got the "non supported battery" message. But after 3 trials, the phone finally complied and fully recharged. This, however, was the first and very last time it accepted the charge. And let's not forget that I also bought a car lighter adapter to charge the phone while driving, and that too didn't work.
I'll return the phone all together tomorrow. The big companies cannot afford to forget? Then they should make sure that the problem does not exist with genuine batteries! Now, I am upset, and i have all rights to be.

Collapse -
Don't forget....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 10:15 PM PDT

............that it is the manufacturer to blame for such issues and not the carrier who sells the phone. After all, warranty work is technically done by the manufacturer, not the carrier.

Collapse -
At 3 days, back to the store.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2011 1:57 AM PDT

To get them to correct what's gone wrong.

Let me tip my hand here. The last few years part of what I do is troubleshoot overseas manufacturing troubles. I'm finding substituted parts about half the time when there is an issue. The company ordered the right stuff, the company checked out the first article and the first runs down to the last bolt but someone tries to cut corners and the substitute part sneaks in.

You have a clear warranty issue.

My reply was more about why we see the message and a little history about it.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Reality
by ryorbskog / August 3, 2011 8:33 AM PDT

I had the SAME prob. with my samsung reality whenever I would turn on my phone it would beep then say entering service area then it would say non supported battery see user manual. I tried the phone like 10 times turning it back off and then on again and eventually it worked! so have your daughter do this if turning it back on and off does not work or it keeps happening then I suggest that you get a new battery for your phone. They are not very expenisve either mine was 5.76 for the battery and shipping;) Good Luck!

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem
by wes675 / August 9, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

My galaxy prevail does this also. I had it for about 3 days using only the provided charger before it started. I found that turning the phone off and then connecting the charger and letting it charge while the phone is off is the only way to get it to take a charge when its being moody and displays that message

Collapse -
Same 3 days?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2011 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

It's a warranty issue plain and simple.

Why do folk keep such things?
Bob

Collapse -
Trouble is...
by UncleOxidant / August 21, 2011 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Same 3 days?

I suspect this is an intermittant problem with all of these phones. In other words, it's a design flaw somewhere. Samsung support said my options were to return the phone to Best Buy or send it in to Samsung (and wait who knows how long)... When I went back to Best Buy they tried several batteries and had the same problem.

Collapse -
Then it's clear what to do next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Trouble is...

If they can't show it working, then it's a clear dud and something you should wait till it's fixed.

In other words, get your money back and keep shopping.
Bob

Collapse -
Turning it off doesn't work
by R2D2Lover / June 13, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I am using the Samsung charger to re-charge a Samsung battery that came with my Samsung Galaxy Prevail droid cellular phone. I have tried charging the phone with the power off. No dice, the same message appears. My only solution is to ignore the beeping and trills until the phone is charged. Has anyone solved this problem?

Collapse -
Yes I have
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 2:56 AM PDT

But I had to swap the unit at the cellular service counter. Now it works fine.

Collapse -
Answer
Same exact problem - Samsung definitely has a quality issue
by UncleOxidant / August 21, 2011 8:35 AM PDT

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Prevail Yesterday at Best Buy. Took the phone home and after a while I plugged in the charger for the first time. After a couple of minutes I hear a tone and go investigate and saw the "not gonna charge your unsupported battery" message. Turned off the phone and then plugged in again. This time it charged (without the android running) - I could see a battery icon with a level indication... but when I came back a couple of hours later I noticed that there was an "!" icon next to the battery so apparently it decided that it wasn't going to charge it even outside of Android. By morning the phone was completely dead (it was displaying that battery icon all night ).

Took the phone back to Best Buy this morning and the guy opened up several phones and tried several batteries. He mentioned that he had seen this problem before a few times. He finally found one that seemed to work. I took it home, used the phone for a bit and then plugged in - so far so good. It completely charged. Then I used the phone for a while again until it got down to about 65% so I plugged it in again and immediately got the "non-supported battery" BS. Called Samsung support they suggested that I remove the battery and then put it back in - that worked. But I suspect I'll be needing to do that a lot. I checked Samsung's support pages and did not see this question asked, but I suspect it's either because people aren't able to figure out how to use their support system (not very user friendly) or Samsung is removing these questions? They definitely have an obvious quality issue here.

Collapse -
No removal zone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2011 9:06 AM PDT

Quality or bug. Does not matter. Vote with your wallet.

Collapse -
Answer
unabnle to charge
by CatherineBoettcher / August 29, 2011 4:26 AM PDT

I just got this message on my phone so I took the battery out and then back in and now it's fine again. It's an easy fix.

Collapse -
Answer
solutions
by alexy1234 / September 8, 2011 10:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Easy Permanent Fix
by Johnny_Premier / September 9, 2011 11:15 AM PDT

This is a software issue. Taking the battery out and putting it back in will solve the problem temporarily but it will return. And that can get very annoying.

To fix this issue completely you must do a master reset. Fortunately, all android phones give you the option to back up your data online in your Google Account so make sure it's all synced up before proceeding.

Each phone has different master reset processes so if you need help send me an email and I'll be happy to help.

Collapse -
also...
by Johnny_Premier / September 9, 2011 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy Permanent Fix

a software upgrade also works equally well... often better

Collapse -
I've heard this before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2011 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: also...

"It never happened." for Windows.

Collapse -
unable to charge non-suported battery see user manual
by lildip70 / February 13, 2012 7:16 AM PST

factory reset fixed it! thanks a bunch

Collapse -
galaxy prevail
by notary4nola / March 12, 2012 6:27 AM PDT

Can't believe there is someone out there willing to take out his time to help an unknown ! For months I've been getting the "non-suppoeted " message and even the Boostmobile store didn't know the answer! So what do I need to do???
Lisette

Collapse -
Answer
It is the car charger!!!!
by Toadill / February 11, 2012 11:58 PM PST

I have had the same problem, my wife has a car charger that works fine for her non android phone. Unfortunately I do own an android, and have found that each time I use her car charger(very rarely) it gives me the same error you all have described in this thread. I believe that the error comes up not because you used your manufactured charger, but because over time the car charger voltage is not correct which, destroys your batteries charge.

The fix I found for this is to simply remove the battery for a few minutes and try again with your original charger. It may not work the first time just keep doing it until it does, it worked for me.

Also if you need a car charge try to find one made for an android phone only, as I think this would solve killing your battery as this relates to what Bob said about how some companies only allow there batteries and chargers.

Collapse -
Answer
have you tried..?
by Caitylee / March 10, 2012 5:24 PM PST

I just got this error on my samsung Vitality/Admire.
I was on the phone and it was charging, then I hung up to send an email off my phone's email.
So I turned it off and plugged it in and it worked.

try this:
COMPLETELY turn your phone's power off.
plug in the charger,
turn it back on
and it should work (at least it did for me.)

Collapse -
Answer
Likely the connection
by cyantist1 / May 16, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

I ran into this problem after changing a battery in my Samsung Charge (Verizon). I tried both Samsung batteries I have and received the same messages. I tried several charges and all gave the charging error. I looked on these sites and found nothing definitive. I then turned off the phone, removed the battery and wedged a folded piece of paper against the bottom of the battery and reinserted. Now I have no problem. I suspect it is the contacts somewhere. there are three brass ones and an odd paper contact (white with red hatching) that may be RFID to identify battery.

Collapse -
explanation
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 30, 2012 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Likely the connection

The white paper with the red lines is the water damage indicator. If it comes in contact with water it turns pink.

Collapse -
Answer
Erase battery stats to fix
by racinmason001 / June 5, 2012 4:28 PM PDT

If you are rooted and have clockwork mod installed on your device all you gotta do is boot into recovery and wipe the battery stats. I did it and I'm back to charging. Samsung Admire

Collapse -
samsung galaxy
by jroback / August 4, 2012 5:11 AM PDT

can you please explain in detail the easiest possible way for me to "ROOT" my samsung galaxy prevail (boost). And furthermore explain how to erase battery stats.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.