Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unable to boot

by snsk / November 23, 2005 2:54 PM PST

Safe Mode boot stops with the BTHidMgr.sys driver, then the system reboots automatically, and repeats. Disabling automatic restart on failure yields the following message:

Stop: C000018 {Registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\system root\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent or not writable
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump completed
Contact your system adminstrator or technical
support group for further assistance

Is there a way to determine what file/driver is causing the problem? Is it the registry file itself?

I have a second Windows XP installation on the D: drive (the unbootable installation is on the C: drive) that boots normally, however almost all of my programs are installed on the C: drive.

Any assistance in making the C: installation bootable would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You have a corrupted registry
by retired / November 24, 2005 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Unable to boot
Collapse -
Did you try
by mrkhlp / November 24, 2005 9:54 AM PST

booting from the system from XP cd and doing a repair of the installation on Drive C:?

Mark

Collapse -
Very Strange
by snsk / November 25, 2005 6:44 PM PST

Can't say what prompted the problem because too many changes/variables were going on at one time, but it's back up and running, not sure either just what I did that got it going.

I'm visiting my brother-in-law (its his computer) trying to establish a dial-up internet connection for the first time. Before I can figure it out, an "expert" friend comes in and decides he needs to install a fresh XP on the D drive. (I later learn from a nephew that the original XP was sp2, the D drive XP had no SP.)

It seems that following a sudden power outage, the C: didn't boot anymore. Not sure if that was the problem, but due to timing of events it seemed as so.

Nephew gives me a XPSP2 CDrom (I'm not at home). After reading and studying the MS instructions for recovering from corrupt registry (can't print, D drive has the internet connection, but no printer installed), I tried checking to see if I could get to the Recovery console while booted to the D drive and running setup on the CDrom.

Figuring it would inspect the hard drives for previous installations and ask if I wanted to repair one I proceeded until I relized it was doing an installation (which drive, I couldn't tell). Upon completion and reboot, I chose the the C drive XP, got the Safe Mode menu and chose use last known good configuration (which I had tried before without success) and lo and behold it boots and everything is working.

When I boot to D drive, I get prompts for the "new" instatllation configuration. So I figure it had upgrade the D drive from Base XP to SP2.

Why that made a difference and permitted the C drive to be able to go back to the last know good config I don't know. Could be Base XP and SP2 on the same machine interact badly; could be dumb coincidence that the last know good config didn't work previously and just happened to work this time.

I'm not complaining. Thanks for the assistance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.