Computer Help forum

Question

Unable to access MSN.com without signing in

by Spark1e / January 5, 2013 1:51 AM PST

This may be a real stupid question, but this has never happened to me before. I turned on the computer and instead of seeing my MSN.com homepage as I normally do, there is an MSN sign in page. I have tried everything to get the MSN.com page and am unable to do so. Also, the sign in page looks odd to me, I went to Page-View Source and this is part of what I got:

<!DOCTYPE html><!-- ServerInfo: BAYIDSLGN1K22 2012.11.28.00.36.29 Live1 Unknown LocVer:0 -->
<!-- PreprocessInfo: BTSA007:RR1BLDA080, -- Version: 14,0,21184,0 -->
<!-- RequestLCID: 1033, Market:EN-US, PrefCountry: US, LangLCID: 1033, LangISO: EN -->

I can get to MSN games....but I can't go to MSN money, weather, entertainment without the "sign in" log displaying.

Do I just need to "sign in" or is something wrong with my computer????

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to access MSN.com without signing in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to access MSN.com without signing in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you EVER sign up for a "Live ID"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 1:54 AM PST

If so there are reports this happens. Maybe you can get around it by using other than IE?
Bob

Collapse -
Don't think so, but not sure...
by Spark1e / January 5, 2013 2:17 AM PST

Not sure...checked my program file and shows Windows Live Essentials...so does that mean "yes".

I don't mind signing in with my password, just don't want to do it if I have some kind of "virus or whatever".
I did run my AVG security and Superanti-spyware program and removed whatever was there and rebooted.

Sorry I'm not very computer literate, still in the learning process.

Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
Try it with some other browser.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 2:21 AM PST

The quick look into this seems to find that it remembers you signed in and wants you to sign in again and again.

Maybe you can make it forget by deleting cookies and such associated with this site but how to do that varies with which browser so I have to stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Browser is...
by Spark1e / January 5, 2013 3:12 AM PST

Internet Explorer 9...

Also, I've had MSN.com as homepage for years and have never had to sign in. Would only enter
password when I signed in to hotmail and then did not save password.

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
And do other browsers work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Browser is...

I'll not duplicate the web on how to clear cookies and content on IE9.

Google these.

1. How to clear cookies on IE9?
2. How to clear temporary files on IE9?

Collapse -
Clearing cookies
by Spark1e / January 5, 2013 3:48 AM PST

Thanks....I usually clear through "internet options", but will try again.

Collapse -
Answer
can't access MSN
by b_samms / January 5, 2013 8:19 PM PST

to Spark1e, I have had a similar problem with MSN.COM. We had an MSN e-mail for years, until about 4 years ago, they denied us access due to a "security" issue. They then ask for ''subject"s of recent e-mails you've sent or received, to verify your identity. Apparently MSN.COM doesn't understand, that as occasional home users, we don't care about, or PAY ATTENTION to the subjects of our e-mails, SENT OR RECEIVED. Needless to say, this important little tidbit of information seems to be lost upon the GENIUSES at MSN.COM. Ever try to talk to one of them ? If you have found a way, please, let me know, because to this day, over 4 years later, we still need access to that account. I'd love to talk to one of their "experts", but who do you call ? Please, somebody, make me look stupid !!! Give me a number to call, I will be forever grateful. And to you, Spark1e, good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.