Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Unable to access using firefox or IE8

by Lion D / October 25, 2009 1:10 AM PDT

I'm running XP SP3 on a Toshiba laptop, had a major crash and had to use recovery disc. After reloading everything I can not connect to google using the latest version of firefox or IE8. I can use yahoo, bing or anything else except google. Firefox message says google taking to long to respond. IE8 message just can not open site.

I'm assuming it is probably a setting is not correct but do not know what to look for. if you have answer please be specific as I'm not real versed in changing settings.
I'm open to trying anything to correct problem!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unable to access using firefox or IE8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unable to access using firefox or IE8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try a Ping test
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 6:23 AM PDT

Open a Command Prompt, (Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

When the black window appears, type the following;

Then press Enter.

Does the Ping work? It sends a data packet called a ping to Google's servers and waits for a reply.

Let us know what the results are.

Collapse -
Re:ping test
by Lion D / October 25, 2009 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Try a Ping test

when tried ping test results were request timed out

Collapse -
OK, now test Google's IP address
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:ping test

which for me shows as

Open the Command Prompt window again and type in;

then press Enter.

This also pings, but uses the IP address instead of the host name. If that succeeds then I suspect your Hosts file is blocking

I should have said, to close that Command Prompt window, just type exit at the prompt, but if you didn't do that, no harm done.

Tell us the results.

Note, I am out of my comfort zone here, so I may not be of much help.

Collapse -
Google ping
by Lion D / October 26, 2009 6:59 AM PDT

when I used the IP address here is what I saw
bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=51

Collapse -
Well that could be significant.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 26, 2009 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Google ping

Did the ping just show the one response? Usually there is a list of 4.

If you see all 4 with similar response times, then that means your computer can resolve IP addresses.

Do you use any security software like Spybot Search & Destroy, or security suites like Nortons or McAfee? Any browser add-ons?

Try this;

Open My Computer, highlight your C drive, and expand it, (click the + sign next to the C drive).

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Etc, (the sub-folder is called Etc), and highlight that Etc folder. It should list a number of files in the right hand pane. There should be a file there called Hosts. If you cannot see it, it may be hidden, so goto Tools > Folder options, then in the View tab select "Show hidden files and folders". Whilst you are there, de-select "Hide extensions for known file types".

The Hosts file is a file without a file extension. It is what every browser checks through first whenever the browser attempts to connect to the internet to search for a web site and it resolves web site names into IP addresses which allows for a quicker connection. This file can be used to either redirect the browser to different web sites, or it can be used to block access to web sites.

Open your Hosts file by right clicking it, and selecting "Open with". You want to select Notepad, but please make sure that the option to "Always use this application to open this type of file" is not selected.

When the file is open, search for anything that has, or, or similar. If you find an entry does it look like, ""?

If so, then any browser trying to connect to Google will fail, as it will loop back to your own computer, (that is what the is, your own computer). If you find an entry, highlight the whole line, and delete it.

You then have to save the file, but you must use File > Save As, and not just Save. This is because Notepad will attempt to save the file as a .txt file, eg Hosts.txt, but that won't work. Select Save as, then change the "Save as type" to "All files (*)"; make sure the file name only says Hosts. Click Save.

Restart your browser and try to connect to

Let me know if that works.

Collapse -
Google problem
by Lion D / October 27, 2009 6:59 AM PDT

Yes the message appeared 4 times I found several google refernces in the host file but none like www. What I found were, etc

Collapse -
Those google entries
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 27, 2009 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Google problem

What were they directed to?

Also, what security software do you use?

Collapse -
unable to access any of the google services
by jonnycage86 / April 17, 2010 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Those google entries

all the google.en, in hosts file were directed to my IP address the google beside was directed to local host.

Collapse -
(NT) This solution worked perfectly TY very much!!
by kkxtcc / September 23, 2011 8:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Glad it helped
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2011 10:04 PM PDT

and thanks for telling me.

Collapse -
Excellent directions, with one slight addition...
by JosephGPhD / November 3, 2014 6:25 AM PST

My friend has a PC that runs Windows 7, and he had this problem of not being able to access Google. Everything was fine until I attempted to save the edited file - Windows 7 Notepad didn't have the "All files (*)" option under "Save as type". So, what I did first was to make a copy of the file and put it into a "Temp Files" directory under C:\. Then I looked at Properties for the Hosts file and unchecked the "Read-only" and "Hidden" boxes. After that I put up the Command window (Start>Accessories>Command Prompt, and changed directories, as necessary, until I reached the Hosts file. Then I used the Edit command to remove the respective lines that redirected Google and Bing, and then I saved the file using "Save as..." and overwrote the original file. Finally, I clicked on the Google icon and, voila! Google came up.

Thank you, MarkF;ax/

Collapse -
plz help
by singhaltushar195 / March 11, 2015 2:50 AM PDT

Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# # source server
# # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# localhost
# ::1 localhost
this is a part of my host file.what I have to do with it. plz tell me.i am in big trouble.plz help says u don't have permission to save in this folder contact administrator.would u like to save in MY DOCUMENTS Folder instead?
plz help
I would be very grateful to u.
Thank You

Collapse - (a malicious website, which attempts to force
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2015 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: plz help (a malicious website, which attempts to force computer users into completing online surveys) was easy to research.

You should delete those entries and complete the scans noted by GRIF AT ...;msg5509131

As to the PERMISSIONS, that's been discussed hundreds of times. Here's just one of many.

" This thread is more than 1963 days old. "

Collapse -
unable to opne in firefox
by basim1366 / January 25, 2013 9:20 AM PST

When I tried to ping, it said request timed out.

Collapse -
unable to open in firefox.
by basim1366 / January 25, 2013 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Try a Ping test

Hi there,

The ping worked but when I try to open from firefox, this is what I get. File not found. Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Documents and Settings/basim/Application Data/Google_Toolbar/Google_Toolbar/ Please help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.