Samsung forum

UN55F6300 NOT fit for web browsing

by doc605 / June 12, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

This tv is NOT compatible with the Samsung keyboard/trackpad. The supplied remote makes using the web browser and other Smart functions almost impossible. I am hoping a firmware/software update solves this problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55F6300 NOT fit for web browsing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55F6300 NOT fit for web browsing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you comparing a TV browswer with a PC based browser?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

As to the keyboard, be sure to supply model numbers. Some of those TVs can't use some Samsung keyboard with that trackpad. The Ambassador can check this on most US models so add the model number of this Samsung keyboard/trackpad.

There are other discussions about the limitations of the TV web browser. It seems OK as a browser but for many sites such as video sites, it's not compatible.

Collapse -
VG-KBD2000 or VG-KBD1500
by doc605 / June 12, 2013 4:06 AM PDT

VG-KBD2000 or 1500 are not compatible as far as I have found.

Collapse -
Hopefully the Ambassador will confirm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 4:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Confirming
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2013 4:28 AM PDT

Hi Doc and Bob,

I can confirm that those two keyboards are not compatible with this model TV. Those models use Bluetooth to connect, and this model doesn't have that hardware in it. However, as Bob suggested, you can look at 3rd-party keyboards that are USB, HID-compliant.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Link comment. Bargain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
by doc605 / June 12, 2013 4:34 AM PDT

I am absolutely SURE that Samsung could upgrade the firmware for this tv to accept IT'S OWN keyboards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Since the keyboards are Bluetooth and the TV doesn't have Bluetooth (hardware) there is no firmware I've seen that adds hardware like a Bluetooth radio.

Collapse -
Not Acceptable
by doc605 / June 12, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

I can't believe that Samsung wouldn't provide support for these peripherals on ALL of the SMART TV line.

Collapse -
So a tax on all products?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Acceptable

I've heard such before and since many don't need/want Bluetooth at all, what you are asking for is that the makers tax us all so your set gets Bluetooth?

I think I'll take the discount and use the k400 next.

Collapse -
by doc605 / June 12, 2013 6:34 AM PDT

If you look at the Samsung Techs post it seems that there will probably be NO keyboard that will work. You can't just start buying keyboards to TRY out and return it when you find it doesn't work. It wouldn't have cost much to make the tv work with THEIR OWN KEYBOARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Or they could cut a deal with Logitech.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 6:39 AM PDT

And to make the existing models work would further increase the cost as they add some dongle to add a bluetooth to USB HID component.

I hear you but why would you add a tax on all products or increase the cost of the Samsung keyboard further?

-> Why not the k400?

Collapse -
by doc605 / June 12, 2013 6:43 AM PDT

I even went as far as buying the trackpad remote from the UN55F7100, it pairs to the 6300 but the only button that functions is the ON/OFF button. That is why I DO NOT believe that they can't upgrade the firmware to make ALL the buttons including the trackpad work.

Collapse -
At this point why did you continue at all?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI

If you are finding out that such is not supported and well, the maker doesn't make what you want, why not do the consumer walk back to the returns counter?

That is, I don't think I know of any maker that is doing any better. That's no excuse but the entire parade of Smart TVs is something of a misnomer. That is, you have the consumers comparing TVs to PCs when it comes to browsing but it's not even close.

And you have a fine example where not all accessories from a maker are compatible.

Care to step into my WayBack machine? Years ago we were taken aback when a tape from one HP computer could never be read on another HP computer. This was in the days before the PC. Times change but the story doesn't.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 12, 2013 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI

Hi Doc and Bob,

The On/Off button uses IR (infrared), not Bluetooth. And yes, as Bob has said, this is a hardware thing; this model simply doesn't have the Bluetooth radio installed to receive signals. Others do, but this one doesn't.

HD Tech

Collapse -
by doc605 / June 12, 2013 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: FYI

Bluetooth is the WORST excuse for a wireless protocol ever invented. RF would have been MUCH better for your peripherals, and if I had been on your dev team I would have fired the person that pushed for bluetooth.

Collapse -
Logitech K400
by stef24x7 / June 13, 2013 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Bluetooth

The Logitech K400 is not a Bluetooth keyboard. It is wireless with a 2.4GHz protocol and has a receiver that plugs into a USB port on the TV.

You'll probably find that mouse gestures, and keyboard strokes are not recognized everywhere on the SMART TV. On mine, the keyboard will not work in YouTube, Netflix, or Amazon Instant Video, apps but it will in some other places.

Very frustrating. Very poor integration / functionality.

Collapse -
Very poor authors. That Youtube app is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Logitech K400
Collapse -
Logitech KBD with Web Browser on UN40EH5300
by stef24x7 / June 14, 2013 1:52 AM PDT

At least on my LED Smart TV, the Web Browser works well (surprisingly) with the Logitech. The Web Browser wasn't developed from scratch by Samsung, and it works with the keyboard and trackpad. And so I KNOW, their firmware could be made to serve up the keystrokes to the YouTube, NetFlix, and Amazon Instant Video apps.

It might require the manufacturer to work with these authors but they should.

This sort of usability gulf is just not acceptable in 2013.

Collapse -
Sadly untrue (keep reading.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

When the app launches, the app rules the set. This is how it works in this system. I think you are thinking this is some PC with a BIOS or OS.

Sadly I've been to the developer meetings and it's more of an embedded system and when an app launches it sets what does and does not work.

I hear you but it's not a PC. It's a TV. And I know it's unpopular but I won't pay more for a Smart TV today. It's still in its infancy (yes I know guys and gals that work on this, sorry but it has a long ways to go.) Nice effort so far so for a TV it's not bad.

Collapse -
Re: Logitech KBD with Web Browser on UN40EH5300
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 14, 2013 2:17 AM PDT

Hi stef24x7,

It's in the Smart Hub API already. I just checked it again. For some reason, many app developers have chosen not to implement it yet.

HD Tech

Collapse -
The forum bottomed out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2013 2:07 AM PDT

Sorry but I was unclear in what part was untrue. There's a lot to discuss but what this TV is not is a PC. I see many comparing it to a PC and I have to go with "not even close." You started off with a scathing discussion of the keyboard, began to put forward that everything work with everything (Bluetooth everywhere) and some post (maybe not here) exclaim Bluetooth is a horrible thing (tell that to Sony and their PS3 sales.)

So here we are and does it all matter at all? That is, if this is that bad, why keep it?

I can discuss how all this came to be, and since I went to the developer meetings can explain a little about how when an app launches, that app controls almost all things. But as a consumer why should you care?

I want to part with another observation. Not all apps are perfect. We see that on the Apple's and PCs today. But folk buy them and use them anyway. Same for Smart TVs.

To say "we're not putting on the YouTube app because it's broke" won't work because you are talking about a consumer product that the market won't accept if that app was missing and since it all works with what came in the box then it's not really broke, is it?

Collapse -
To stef24x7
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2013 2:20 AM PDT

Please don't hijack other member's discussions. If stef24x7 is doc605, then tell that so we don't think it's some hijacking.

Collapse -
Doc IS NOT stef
by doc605 / June 14, 2013 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: To stef24x7

Doc605 isn't stef24x7

As to returning the tv, there isn't a company on the planet that will refund your money or allow an exchange after 15 days without a 15% restocking fee.

Collapse -
They do here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2013 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Doc IS NOT stef

If a product does not function as sold, you have return rights. Well in England and USA at least.

Collapse -
You're right
by Cbumkin / October 29, 2015 5:34 PM PDT

I have this tv and just purchased the Samsung keyboard model VGKBD2000 at BestBuy for $100 and all it does is turn the tv on and off. Nothing else. My Logitech keyboard works fine for $30. The Samsung keyboard will be return immediately. I really wanted the Samsung keyboard to work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.