Samsung forum

General discussion

UN55D8000 and bluetooth keyboard

by paul54729 / April 8, 2011 8:24 AM PDT

I like the new Samsung TV but the mini keyboard on the back of the remote doesn't cut it for serious web browsing. I'd like to be able to pair the TV with a standard bluetooth keyboard (perhaps the Apple one). Has anyone done this? Is it possible? If not, is it something that might be possible in the future? It would be a shame if browsing was limited by the tiny Samsung remote.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55D8000 and bluetooth keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55D8000 and bluetooth keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UN55D8000 and bluetooth keyboard
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2011 12:59 PM PDT

paul54729,

The televisions just reached the market this month.

I don't believe the will be able to work with a Bluetooth keyboard from other makers, but I just haven't tested it or seen it tested yet. (Too early to tell, I suppose would probably be the best way to put it).

I'll be happy to bump this back to the top of the discussions.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung UN55D800 v. Toshiba 55WX800U
by paul54729 / April 8, 2011 10:57 PM PDT

I know this is a Samsung forum but I just noticed that Toshiba also has full internet capability on their 55WX900U and so I wonder if that one would allow a bluetooth keyboard (such as the Apple keyboard) to be used for internet browsing. Surely with a full internet browser it must be considered important to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard rather than a miniature remote controller.

Collapse -
This is not quite what you had in mind...
by xtasee / April 11, 2011 5:11 AM PDT

but I have the same 2 sided remote/keyboard, and in my case, couldn't get the bluetooth keyboard to pair at all with my TV (PN59D8000). As a work around, if you have an iPad and feel that suffices as a keyboard, you can download the "TV Remote" app from the App Store (free) which will allow you to connect via Wifi with your TV and then use the "keyboard" function. Works pretty well actually, and the great thing is that you don't have to worry about bluetooth range, since it is connecting via Wifi.

-Dave

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip.
by paul54729 / April 11, 2011 12:22 PM PDT

So... the use of an iPad and the "TV Remote" program to serve as a controller for the TV has given me the idea to develop a "TV Remote" program for my macBook. Happy

A side benefit of using my iPad as my TV remote is that I can now justify getting the newest version of the iPad. :))

Collapse -
Thanks for the tip.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 12, 2011 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the tip.

paul54729,

About the App - verify that it will work with 2011 products. I haven't been able to verify yet, so be aware. Happy

To stasee, did it work with the UN55D8000?

--HDTech

Collapse -
D8000 Web Browser
by itzme1234 / April 15, 2011 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone for any alternatives to control browsing on the D8000s? I love the way the Wii remote controls the Wii browser, and I wonder if there are any after-market products that give better control. Has anyone been able to confirm if the iPod or Droid Samsung Remote apps work? Maybe the gestures feature?

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV Virtual Keyboard with foreign characters
by vpermakoff / May 17, 2011 10:55 AM PDT

For me the biggest problem was inability to enter foreign characters on this keyboard.

You can try http://www.softcorporation.com/smarttv/ It works with regular remote control and I was able to type "Lord of the Rings" in 4 clicks (besides moving cursor), not bad.

It also allows entering text in some other languages, Like Spanish, Russian, etc.

For TV the trick is to enter URL for the first time, but if you will set it as a homepage for TV browser, it will always stay there and allow you easily enter queries and navigate to other sites and URLs.

Note, if you try it using regular PC, you need to use mouse and it may not work properly in IE 7 browser, only 8 and 9.

Collapse -
Virtual Keyboard
by itzme1234 / May 17, 2011 2:33 PM PDT

On the Wii browser, 6-yr old technology, a virtual keyboard appears automatically whenever you click on an input form. You then move around the keyboard by pointing with 1 hand. It also has that same auto-complete. That's the technology I wished Samsung put on their browser.

Collapse -
Using Apple bluetooth keyboard on Samsung Smart TV
by nachtjenevel / May 27, 2012 8:04 PM PDT

It is possible to do it, yes. On the TV, go to menu, then settings, device manager, keyboard. On the Apple keyboard, push and hold for a few seconds the ON button on the side. On the TV, click to add a keyboard. It will find the Apple keyboard and say it needs to be paired. To pair it, on the TV select the Apple keyboard. The TV will give you a message with a series of numbers and ask you to key them in on your Apple keyboard. Key them in and hit return on the keyboard. The device will then pair with the TV. Thank you, Apple, for being so awesome!!!

Collapse -
FYI Apple have nothing to do with it, bluetooth rocks
by mcguirerj / November 19, 2012 4:25 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.