Samsung forum

General discussion

UN55B8500 Discontinued!!!!!!

by jdpg2 / January 5, 2010 7:09 AM PST

Can someone from samsung shed some light as to why the UN55B8500 and all of the 8 series tvs are no long on the web sit and when you search for them you get "This product is no longer available"? I just got one of these for the holidays and i am going to return it unless someone clears this up for me. Is there an issue with the set? Or is it a web site bug. The TV just came out, I can understand why it was discontinued.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55B8500 Discontinued!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55B8500 Discontinued!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All series 8!
by Saaditani / January 5, 2010 2:15 PM PST

I would like to know what happened too!!

Collapse -
samsung spokesperson
by rwemersonrw / April 26, 2011 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: All series 8!

a samsung rep was on bloomberg the other day and said samsung (1) has been losing money on there 3d tvs and (2) only want to produce glasses free 3d tvs. samsung is basically redirecting all of its resources into this new tech. in the next 2-3 years they will start selling glasses free 3d tvs.

Collapse -
Source?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2011 12:46 AM PDT
In reply to: samsung spokesperson

I'm not aware of either points.

Collapse -
bloomberg - charlie rose
by rwemersonrw / April 27, 2011 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Source?

I missed the name of the speaker, but it is possible that the person was a tech analyst. I was listening to Charlie Rose on Bloomberg Radio. But he talked about how 3d tvs are not selling as planned and that is why 3d tv manufacturers are now throwing in a pair of free glasses. He also said that as the leading tv innovator, samsung, has been directing its resources to glasses free tvs and that LG is behind in that technology.

Collapse -
My response from Samsung
by elDup / January 5, 2010 8:16 PM PST

I sent an email to Samsung regarding this subject and here is the response I received FWIW.

Dear Samsung Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

With reference to your email, we understand that you are
interested in purchasing the 8500 series LED TV.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

The cause of the issue is Samsung website is being updated for
that reason few changes are noticed.

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Samsung Online Support.

Collapse -
Re:My response from Samsung
by mdkul / January 6, 2010 1:56 AM PST

Well the reply doesn't make sense. Although i get the hidden message that this is a website_update_bug.

I would have been happier if somebody authoritatively said that no the series is not discontinued.

anyways..

Collapse -
Re:My response from Samsung
by mdkul / January 7, 2010 9:13 AM PST

here is my chat transcript...both good and bad news..

-----
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Nathan A'
Nathan A: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?
Visitor: hi
Nathan A: Let me know the issue.
Visitor: i want to inquire about samsung un55b8000 tv i just bought
Visitor: i saw that it is nolonger available..
Nathan A: Go ahead with the query.
Visitor: was there any issue with the tv?
Visitor: i bought it like last week...
Nathan A: This model is a limited version model. Samsung is beginning production on our 2010 models and will no longer be producing this model. Other models will still be in production until March of 2010 when the 2010 lineup will be released.
Visitor: so is it going to be supported?
Visitor: is there a upgrade/exchange program for these TV's?
Nathan A: It will be supported.
Visitor: i have spend $3k on this set i want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the set
Nathan A: There is nothing wrong but as it is a limited version model, Samsung stopped producing them.
Visitor: so new features like 3d and widget support will come to these version as firmware upgrade?
Nathan A: Yes.
Visitor: oh thats cool..
Visitor: you are sure about the 3d support right?
Nathan A: Yes, it will.
Nathan A: Can I be of any further assistance?
Visitor: oh cool..you made my day..
Visitor: i had another question about netflix widget support on these sets...
Nathan A: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Nathan A: Let me check it.
Visitor: do you have any ETA on this?
Nathan A: I did not get you.
Visitor: i mean netflix support is not yet there but seems like it is planned..i was wondering when it will be supported
Visitor: as a widget on the tv
Nathan A: I am sorry, I do not have any information about it.
Visitor: oh ok..
Visitor: thanks..
----

Collapse -
"a truth" but not "the truth"
by rshaynes / January 7, 2010 10:52 AM PST

Limited production model is a load of cr@p. That would not explain why series 7/8/9 LCDs as well as the entire series 8 LEDs were pulled. It's no co-incidence that they were subject to a patent infringement lawsuit which (1) was levied on or around November 8th, 2009 and (2) had a 60-day review period that (3) expires/expired this week.

I also do not think for an instant any 3D or NetFlix support will come to those models now pulled for technical limitations as well as logistical ones. A legal order to stop selling in the US is also free license for Samsung to stop developing firmware for them as well.

Collapse -
UN55B8500 can NOT be upgraded to 3D......does anyone differ?
by togmancnet / March 23, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Jewel A'

Jewel A: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Visitor: Here is a clip of a previous conversation....Do you know if the UN55B8500 will be upgradable to 3D?

Visitor: Re:My response from Samsung by mdkul - 1/7/10 5:13 PM In reply to: Re:My response from Samsung by mdkul here is my chat transcript...both good and bad news.. ----- info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond. info: You are now chatting with 'Nathan A' Nathan A: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today? Visitor: hi Nathan A: Let me know the issue. Visitor: i want to inquire about samsung un55b8000 tv i just bought Visitor: i saw that it is nolonger available.. Nathan A: Go ahead with the query. Visitor: was there any issue with the tv? Visitor: i bought it like last week... Nathan A: This model is a limited version model. Samsung is beginning production on our 2010 models and will no longer be producing this model. Other models will still be in production until March of 2010 when the 2010 lineup will be released. Visitor: so is it going to be supported? Visitor: is there a upgrade/exchange program for these TV's? Nathan A: It will be supported. Visitor: i have spend $3k on this set i want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the set Nathan A: There is nothing wrong but as it is a limited version model, Samsung stopped producing them. Visitor: so new features like 3d and widget support will come to these version as firmware upgrade? Nathan A: Yes. Visitor: oh thats cool.. Visitor: you are sure about the 3d support right? Nathan A: Yes, it will. Nathan A: Can I be of any further assistance? Visitor: oh cool..you made my day.. Visitor: i had another question about netflix widget support on these sets... Nathan A: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with? Nathan A: Let me check it. Visitor: do you have any ETA on this? Nathan A: I did not get you. Visitor: i mean netflix support is not yet there but seems like it is planned..i was wondering when it will be supported Visitor: as a widget on the tv Nathan A: I am sorry, I do not have any information about it. Visitor: oh ok.. Visitor: thanks.. ----

Jewel A: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.

Visitor: I hope it is. The guys at Best Buy said no way. I already bought the 8500 and I'm happy. It would be cool if it will be the same as the 2010 model 3D sets.

Jewel A: Let me check the chat history.

Jewel A: Thanks for holding.

Visitor: curve ball question huh?

Jewel A: Samsung televisions are able to display streaming content from different external devices with Netflix streaming capabilities. However, currently Samsung TVs cannot stream Netflix without an external device. Televisions that are DLNA certified can stream stored media from your computer to your TV via your home network.

Jewel A:

However, because Netflix videos are not stored on your computer, they cannot be streamed this way.

External devices capable of streaming Netflix that you can attach to your TV include but are not limited to:

?The Samsung BD-P1590, BD-P1600, BD-P2500, BD-P3600, and BD-P4600 Blu-ray players
?The X-Box 360
?The PS3
?The Roku Netflix box
?Certain TiVo Boxes
?And other devices

Visitor: I only want to know if my 8500 can be upgraded to be a 3D TV just like the new series, by simply upgrading the software. Is it possible that Samsung will be releasing a software upgrade to make the 8500 capable of the new 3D format?

Jewel A: No, it is not possible to update the TV to 3d.

Jewel A: Are we still connected on chat?

Visitor: ok...damn. and you are absolutely sure?

Jewel A: Yes, TV needs 3D port, it is not possible to replace the 3D port on the TV.

Visitor: okay. thanks Jewel. bye

Collapse -
I noticed the same thing!
by jfern1960 / January 6, 2010 2:43 AM PST

I noticed this yesterday. I too bought an 8000 a few days ago. I am happy with it but it would suck to have just bought an orphan. Regardless the entire 8 series being pulled for updates means a major change is coming. At least thats how it sounds to me. Hopefully whatever is coming will be on the site soon. I can always return the 8000 if something better for the money is introduced.

Collapse -
Looks like it...
by rshaynes / January 6, 2010 3:00 AM PST

.. so I noticed this too yesterday and posted the following to the Samsung USA page on FaceBook

"Any reason the Series 8 and Series 7 TVs for LED and LCD respectively just disappeared from the Samsung website today? "Product is no longer available""

.. for which I received a reply today that has since been deleted

"Samsung USA commented on your wall post:

"Robert, these items have been discontinued by Samsung.""

So the person who operates that page stated yes they were and then deleted the response.

I expect if anything Samsung will be announcing the new 2010 lineup today @ 5 PM (Eastern or Pacific?) for CES 2010 -- and likely replacements for these discontinued lines.

Collapse -
How about some official response
by jdpg2 / January 6, 2010 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Looks like it...

I still can return my set, i have the orignal packaging etc ....

Collapse -
Hope you can return it...
by rshaynes / January 6, 2010 4:44 AM PST

... us-appliance right now has the UN55B8500 for $3079 shipped. Which is why I'm so damn interested in confirmation myself.

Collapse -
Patent infringement lawsuit
by streetfairie / January 7, 2010 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Looks like it...
Collapse -
Only for the US
by Saaditani / January 7, 2010 1:36 AM PST

I am from "MiddleEast" and its not discontinued. And I've checked all the countries in Asia/Australia/Europe all were fine.

So its just the US. Weird, why they are all defected or something?

Collapse -
Distributor says - pulled due to lawsuit
by ce4bnsf / January 8, 2010 11:19 PM PST
In reply to: Only for the US

My A/V guy talked to his distributor earlier this week. The 8 Series has been pulled due to the lawsuit from Sharp. Has to do with Side versus Back lighting LED technology. The 7 Series uses Side lighting and therefore still available. Got the lawsuit findings and in October Samsung was given order to cease sale in the US. They had 60 days - just made it through the holidays. I want the 8500 but also want solid future support. Heard this may open doors to a cross-licensing agreement with Sharp.

Collapse -
So are they saying...
by harjotbola / January 9, 2010 3:56 AM PST

that there will be no support at all for the tv. and i have the 8000 not the 8500, does this effect me as well?

Collapse -
Not saying anything...
by ce4bnsf / January 9, 2010 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: So are they saying...

I am not suggesting they will not support the 8000 series for break/fix...but it is hard to imagine they will provide software enhancements. My understanding is this is an issue with the entire 8 series.

Collapse -
All 240Hz
by caeguy / January 9, 2010 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Not saying anything...

I think it's not limited to the 8 series as all 240hz sets have been pulled in the US market.

Collapse -
that sucks
by harjotbola / January 9, 2010 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Not saying anything...

i bought the 8 series as it was the latest and would provide updates to the already great features. it would last me at least 5-8 years before i replace it with whatever new comes out. other wise i would have just gotten a regular lcd or plasma.

Collapse -
Dont worry too much
by jdpg2 / January 9, 2010 11:07 AM PST
In reply to: that sucks

Samsung has to realize that they sold many of these +$4000 sets to not your average buyers. I am sure they will support them, or a class action suit will be an additional thing for them to worry about. They sold a product knowingly containing technology that infringed on a patented, that?s called fraud. I am sure they are working on a solution with Sharp to make this right. Besides they probably have several 10?s of thousands of these in a warehouse somewhere that they want to sell. We should all just hang tight.

It would be nice if someone from Samsung would chime in here with some facts.

Collapse -
i agree with you
by harjotbola / January 9, 2010 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Dont worry too much

so what was it they did, the 240hz or the backlighting? and yes, usually the samsung hdtv guy would say something but notice nobody from them is commenting.

Collapse -
Possibly refresh rate rather than back-lighting
by erg1980 / January 11, 2010 8:06 AM PST

Erm, looking at the patents and reading between the lines, I think the lawsuit has more to do with 240Hz than back-lighting. The back-lighting might be a red herring since the 240Hz models also happen to be the only back-lit ones at this time.

Collapse -
Cheap at Amazon
by blckholehorizon / January 10, 2010 8:49 AM PST

Amazon is getting rid of the 8000's below some retailers cost... for 2399.

I really wanted to get one, but can't bring myself to buy a product that might get caught up in litigation, and brought to an abrupt end.

That picture was so sweet though. Now what are our options for a similiar tv?

Collapse -
(NT) They've announced the 9000 Series.
by SandFarmer / January 10, 2010 9:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Real reason why they are discontinued
by KraitosBlack / January 11, 2010 4:23 AM PST

I believe that the Samsung 8 series was discontinued because there were to many complaints about it. If you looke around the internet there are a lot of complaints about it and there all about the same issue. Appearently a lot of the tvs HDMI imputs would stop working in 1 to 2 months and the screens would start to produce lots of heat after awhile. Another one is that you cant watch the Tv in the dark? A lot of people were complaining that when the tv has a dark scene from like a movie or something. IT would look like there are little flash light in the corner of the screen projecting images onto the darkness. there were more complaints just dont feel like typing them all. Well that is why other places are now selling the tv for cheaper. They have to get rid of them. Before all the complaints spread. And i assume samsung is trying to fix this issue. As for those who already bought the tv good luck =)

Collapse -
continued...
by KraitosBlack / January 11, 2010 4:29 AM PST

i forgot to mention that people said if you compare the 7 series to the 8 series the 7 had a much better picture quality. and about the heat you can feel it from several feet if you pass the tv. and the auto brightness sucks. it adjusts way to much from its own light.

Collapse -
What you're overlooking...
by rshaynes / January 11, 2010 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: continued...

... is that they also discontinued the 7/8/9-series LCD sets as well as the 8-series LED. If what you're saying is true then it would be related to the 8-series LED only and not explain the LCD series.. However to pull the plug on the 7/8/9-series LCD and 8-series LED on the same date -- more speaks to the result of the lawsuit on patent infringement than anything else.

Collapse -
Conversation at "The Samsung Experience" in NYC...
by GaussianBlur / January 11, 2010 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: continued...

Take this for what it's worth and draw your own conclusions. Went to "The Samsung Experience" -- a showcase of Samsung technology at the Time Warner Center in NYC, and approached a rep there about the LED 8-series' disappearance. His immediately reply was "I'm afraid we cannot comment on that." I asked if he could confirm whether it is related to the lawsuit and he reiterated his inability to comment. I then said "look, I just bought the 55" 8000 and have no problem with it, but I can still return it and am looking for any indication that I might not get lost in a litigation black hole with no service and no support." He paused, and said, "listen, I cannot comment on the issue, but my advice to you is to hang on to your TV."

Again, apply as many grains of salt as you deem fit. As for me, I am very happy with my TV and am going to hope for the best.

Collapse -
Good for you!
by Saaditani / January 11, 2010 11:18 PM PST

I too have no complaints about this TV and despite all the user's bad reviews its amazing!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.