Samsung forum

General discussion

UN55B8000XFXZA Issues

by bobdeanrichards / August 8, 2009 5:48 AM PDT

Just took delivery of a brand new 8000 series 55" LED TV. The most I have ever spent on a television. The first night all was well, about 4 hours of use. The next night strange things started to happen. The source would switch randomly maybe once a hour. I thought maybe the Cable box was doing it. Watched a movie with the same result. Today, most strange of all! Now every few minutes the source changes, the volume goes up and down and when the source changes to antenna the channel numbers cycle.

I have two HDMI devices attached:

A comcast HDMI cable box and a DVD player. Nothing on the antenna input.

I called tech support and they had me do the following:

Get the TV to station and pull the battereies out of the remote. To see if the remote is the cause.

If the TV does the same thine power it down and unplug it for ten minutes then power it back up.

The result was the same. The TV goes into the same strange activity.

I finally did find something that leads to me to believe some kind of loose connection is the issue. If you tap your finger on the back of the televsion the strange behavior starts. I had the TV delivered and set up because I was worried about damaging the the thing in transit. My guess is it must have taken a bounce or something.

I will be getting a service tech out next week. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experieince or if I can do anything else to fix it?

BR

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55B8000XFXZA Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55B8000XFXZA Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UN55B8000XFXZA Issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 8, 2009 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: UN55B8000XFXZA Issues

bobdeanrichards,

I haven't seen any reports regarding that sympton, and more interested that you can actually reproduce the problem at "command". I'd definitely recommend going through the repair. If you're not satisfied, ask to exchange it for a new one.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
UN55B8000XFXZA The Story Continues
by bobdeanrichards / August 23, 2009 10:11 PM PDT

Since my last post I contacted Samsung and Best Buy. I had a service call scheduled but Best Buy said they would rather replace the television. This time I brought the televion home myself and set it up.

Within days we are back to same problems! The set leaves the HDMI connection scans the channels on the antenna. The volume goes up and down. Eventually the remote starts squealing and you cannot even turn the TV off. The blue LED on the TV blinks rapidly while all this going on.

And yes tapping the back of the of the TV reproduces the results.

I think I am done with Samsung and plan on taking this unit back to Best Buy. I can buy this hapenning to one TV but two leads me to believe this model has some serious problems. Until then I am will be watching my Sony that this TV was supposed to replace.

BR

Collapse -
UN55B8000XFXZA The Story Continues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 24, 2009 8:16 AM PDT

bobdeanrichards,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having these issues. I'm looking into this model to see if others are having this problem. In the meantime, I encourage you to do what makes you happiest, including returning it if it doesn't provide a solution.

--HDTech

Collapse -
UN55B8000 Switching Problems
by dbrea / September 23, 2009 5:57 AM PDT

Just wanted to post that I expirienced the same problem. I'm now on my second tv set regarding this issue and still the same problem. I think this should be research a little more. It is happening to other people.

Collapse -
UN55B8000 Switching Problems
by w_tom / June 22, 2010 9:26 PM PDT

Sometimes other appliances are also outputting IrDa signals. For example a computer that would normally use IrDa for connecting to an HP printer will periodically send out an IrDa signal looking for that printer. This signal is received by the TV in a confused manner. Periodically, the TV thinks it is a remote control signal to select a new channel or change the volume.

Step one - cover the IrDa port for the TV so that it never sees the remote control. Then wait for the typical 'unexplained switching' period (probably days). If no switching, then you know where to start looking for a confusing IrDa transmitter - some other appliances in your house.

Collapse -
similar issues with my UN55B8000SFXZA
by rdl31 / December 16, 2009 6:12 AM PST

Hi, I bought this new in August 09, and it has been working great until recently. I run it with a comcast TIVO hd receiver via HDMI and a Sony PS3 blu-ray player on a second HDMI. The TV is on its own dedicated circuit with a surge protector. I run a Harmony 1100 remote to control the system.

The TV will go into a channel scan mode spontaneously and the factory remote is locked out. This will happen maybe a couple of times a week (I first noticed this back in November, but it is happening more often) I noted, too, that the blue indicator light flickers when this happens. What I have done is power it down (by switching off the surge protector), but it will sometimes have the same problem when I turn it back on (after waiting 10 plus minutes). It appears to be random. At first, I thought it might be interference from the factory remote, but I have removed the batteries from it, so that is not the cause.

I have a service tag in and they are coming on Friday to make a repair. I will see how it goes.

Collapse -
UN55B8000XFXZA
by mk92 / June 22, 2010 5:32 AM PDT

hey how are you . i just your notes on this model. I been wanting to buy this tv for sometime now but i wanted to wait till summer hoping price drop. I started looking this week and found out best buy no longer carry this model, ebay does not have this model any more either and many of other places that I looked before carried this model but not any more. I guess this model is out. wow. I am glad that i waited and now i am very happy that I did no purchase it.

Well i am looking to get 46 to 55 LED tv. I have samsung and sony in my mind. I would appreciate if you could please help me to pick what to get to . Like what model to pick? I am not looking to get any 3d. Just LED. What to look for when making selection? What are the most important things I should be aware of. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you so much.

Collapse -
SOMEBODY GOT YOU MAN
by goonofgoons / October 31, 2011 3:20 AM PDT

AFTER READING YOUR POST I ALMOST DIDNT BUY ONE. I HAD TO THINK WHAT CAN CAUSE THAT PROBLEM. WELL ITS SIMPLY.. ALL SAMSUNG TV'S USES THE SAME REMOTE CONTROL .. SO ITS POSSIBLE SOME ONE WAS IN RANGE IN MIGHT HAVE BEEN PLAYING A TRICK ON YOU.. PROBLEM SOLVED...SORRY BUD

Collapse -
Completely off
by JMO65 / May 22, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

I've had this tv for almost exactly two years. It played fine during that time. Recently, it will not come on. The power light illuminates but the samsung melody and picture does nothing. That is with the remote and manually at the tv. They said call Lake Electronics which is their authorized samsung representative locally. I've read about nightmares about this outfit. Seems it should be a minor problem at 2 yrs old but Lake charges $90 just to offer an estimate. You would think a $3,000 tv would last more than 2 yrs? I have some old tv's that are 20 years old playing fine. Guess I will wait and see what the tech says is the problem before totally condemning samsung and associates.

Collapse -
Please post the exact model number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Completely off

Sometime it is on a list. Sometimes it is not. But one thing I must ask. Did you call it in and ask if it was any list like we've seen so far?

Collapse -
List
by JMO65 / May 22, 2012 4:12 AM PDT

I don't know about a list. What is it for? Defective TV's? The model # is UN55B8000XFXZA It is the 55" LED 3D TV. It was purchased along with the Samsung 3D DVD player and 2 pair of glasses. I believe it was around $3300 in May of 2010.
When calling in, are you saying call Samsung for a list? I emailed them and they said out of warranty, contact Lake Electronics in Kennesaw GA. TV simply will not power on now but the standby power light is on.

Collapse -
No. It's defective caps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: List

Many makers were hit with BAD CAPS and since you didn't CALL THEM!!! And I only know a little about these lists such as http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/ which is only one, my advice is to always use the PHONE.

I know some will write this issue was only in some model years but trust me, I'm seeing it in too much gear even from last year. And this is not limited to consumer electronics or any brand.

As to your how long it should last question they last from weeks to years. There is an entire course of study we do in school and later in electronics design about life span calculations. From what I see, many TVs are a 5 year design. This can upset makers that don't want to publish MTBF, MTTR and other such numbers.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry. I should edit that title.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 4:29 AM PDT

I can not tell you it's BAD CAPS without an inspection. And no TV tech does that without charging as it's something we have to open it up to look for.

90 bucks is a bargain compared to the usual 150 in my town!

Collapse -
Model No
by JMO65 / May 22, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

Looking on back of the TV, it says model no. UN55B8000XF. Underneath that it says Model Code UN55B8000XFXZA.

Collapse -
Armed with that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Model No
Collapse -
ouch
by JMO65 / May 22, 2012 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Armed with that

That link is just to the tv for sale. Are you saying the ouch is the panel is quite expensive? Either sony or lg has a new 55" 3D led on sale for $1500. It appears that in the future of purchases for me, I should get the cheapest size I can find suitable. If it quits, throw it away and get another.

Collapse -
Ouch as in the user reviews.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2012 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: ouch

Sorry but I didn't tell you to read the reviews. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.