Samsung forum

UN55B7000 LED TV Panel fried in just about 2.5 years

by izoot / January 20, 2013 10:45 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I wanted to post about the Samsung UN55B7000 LED TV whose Panel fried in just about 2.5 years. I've talked to a few techs and shown them the pic of the horizontal and vertical color bars which the TV now displays. They've all said they've never seen something like this and all they can call it is a fried panel. Being I bought it in late OCt 09 ... it's out of warranty. I called Samsung to see if they could do anything at all for me considering it was obviously a defective panel. This should have lasted easily 5-10 years and it last 2.5. They told me that I was out of luck ... doesn't matter defective part or not ... it was out of warranty. After spending $1500+ on this TV hearing this brush off from a billion dollar company didn't sit right with me. Any suggestions before I go to the BBB, consumer reports and continue posting about the inadequete customer support and care from Samsung? Thanks, Ira

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UN55B7000 LED TV Panel fried in just about 2.5 years
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UN55B7000 LED TV Panel fried in just about 2.5 years
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a few questions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 1:33 AM PST

Did any of the techs mention tab bonds?

And do you remember the Color CRT days back in the 60's? History seems to be repeating itself so think back and consider what happened then and do what you came to hurry along a repeat of the past solution.

Collapse -
Samsung led failure
by izoot / January 21, 2013 6:04 AM PST

Thanks for the note ... the techs didn't mention anything. Samsung refused to do anything for me. They said they would arrange for tech service for $200 to check the TV and if the panel was bad it would cost me $1200 so they pretty much told me to screw off. Which really disappoints me for a company that makes like a billion $$ and who before this I thought made a pretty good product and cared about their customers.

As to remembering the old days I really don't remember any fixes besides a quick rap on the side of the set Happy

Collapse -
Research TAB BONDS as it's an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung led failure

That is, some don't last as long as the engineers claimed and the symptom sounds familiar. The problem is that you can't fix these bonds in the field except by replacing the panel.

About Color Tube CRT days. When they came out there were failures in a few years and well, it's pre-internet history about the consumer agencies and more that the makers got a little beat up and later you found sets with 5 to 10 year color tube warranties.

Today we have a market place full of 5 year designs. Consumers seem to be OK with this in the cellular market as folks flip out phones in under 2 years now (on average.) Source? Some tidbit I got from a CTIA tradeshow from ATT's head honcho opening show speech.

Collapse -
Thanks ...
by izoot / January 21, 2013 9:22 AM PST

Should I point this information out to Samsung? Being that it's out of warranty is this a problem that shouldn't have occurred on a 2.5 year old tv? I'm relatively clueless about TV tech ... I just know is that for $1500 the TV should have lasted at least twice as long.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks ...

But we've been down that road before. I don't want to upset you but thought I'd share something to research. That is, hit google and try HDTV TAB BOND REPAIR. Interesting reading but I should preface all this is that you took a course in electrical safety.

Collapse -
by izoot / January 21, 2013 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: Your choice.

Hi Bob ..
I'm not opening anything and putting my hands into the works. I'm good at a number of things
but being a technician isn't one of them. I'm mostly interested in figuring out if this is something
that happened due to a defective part/s and being able to point it out to Samsung so as to get them to
stand behind their product.

Collapse -
sale of goods act
by garethjv / January 21, 2013 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: REply
Collapse -
by izoot / January 21, 2013 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: sale of goods act

I'm in the US but this is interesting and I will into it further ... thank you very much.

Collapse -
As to that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2013 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: REply

I call on my background in reliability studies. The current designs appear to be 5 year designs so you will have failures from delivery to end of life. These are not 10 to 20 year designs and it shows as well as another effect. In the past, pre-internet we didn't get to publicly discuss this in the wide open so that's another effect.

There's also those warranties. I see 1 year warranties all around. In the past Color CRT days the makers got hit with early failures and you can see what happened then. History has a way of repeating itself and while this does little for your set my advice is to get long warranties on the expensive items.

Collapse -
Talked to Samsumg executive support
by izoot / January 24, 2013 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: As to that.

Well ... finally talked to "higher ups" at Samsung with the same results. They don't care that this was a defective panel that went bad on it's own. That it's out of warranty apparently let's them off the hook regarding doing what I consider would be responsible action, good business and at least offering me something.

They could have at least offered me a rebate for being a good customer and understanding that sometimes parts just go bad. But they very clearly stated that they will not stand behind this defective part ... it was out of warranty ... go f myself. (Not quite those words but same meaning)

All I know is that I am very disappointed in Samsung ... I'm a repeat customer who didn't ask for anything outrageous from a billion $ + company. At least from now on I know better than to buy Samsung and will make sure to convey my experience anytime their brand comes up in discussion.

Thanks to those who tried to offer info here ... it's appreciated.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.