Laptops

Question

Ultrabooks: Your Thoughts

by CharlieC1991 / December 16, 2012 4:16 AM PST

Hi Everyone,

Apple has been releasing some really great laptops these last few years, the Air I find a very attractive piece of hardware while the Retina display Mac books are great if not a bit pricey. But after all that I'm still a Windows man, and am glad to see innovation by the laptop producers, especially in the Ultrabook category with Windows 8. I have a Sony Vaio Ultrabook and love it to bits!

Big question really, but whats your favorite and least favorite things about Intel's Ultrabook category of devices in general? I am asking this for some university work so would be really grateful for your opinions! Has this definition helped laptop makers catch up with Apple in terms of design, usability, innovation and customer service or has it hindered the laptop industry in general? Is Windows 8 pushing these products in the right direction?

What are your favorite devices where the category has flourished and what are some failure devices that are a bad representation of the Ultrabook brand?

What would you change or improve about Ultrabooks, or are you a happy owner of one? Would you prefer a Win7 or 8 Ultrabook and what about interesting new features like touch screen on laptops?

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultrabooks: Your Thoughts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultrabooks: Your Thoughts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For now you can keep Windows 8.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 4:30 AM PST

But the basic features of the ultrabook such as the few second boot time is in really cheap laptops now. My dad needed a laptop cheap and asap and got a Samsung rv515 for less than 399 and some of those features are in this lowly laptop.

For college, get a 14 inch laptop and go home?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Well I will start by saying I'm a big screen
by orlbuckeye / December 16, 2012 10:17 PM PST

laptop guy. I has an Acer with a 20.1" screen, a 18.4" screen and I just bought a 15.6" laptop. When I purchased the 18.4 I purchased an SSD drive and a new wireless card when I purchased it. The 15.6" i bought to work with Windows 8. The 15.6 boots real fast for having a HD. When shopping I found there aren't any touchscreens above 14" except for Acer and Acer has a couple. So the trend for the Ultrabooks is smaller screens, more battery life (because of the power conserving processors and SSD's). I'm an Acer man since I've had 3 and only one has needed to be repaired. Acer has been in the Ultrabook battle since the beginning.

I think tablets are pushing the industry more then the Ultrabooks. Windows RT is driven by the downloadable apps and the live panels. They are bringing the cloud to the personal devices. One day the whole country will be wired. GPS is being used more and more in our applications (both gaqod and bad ways).

These tablets and Ultrabooks are making our devices more mobile. I'm flying up north and with be taking 2 laptops in my laptop bag so I don't buy a laptop because it's light. I do like the the designs of the ultrabooks but if you but it next to a large laptop I myself will be drawn to the features of the larger laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.