Laptops

General discussion

Ultrabook vs. Tablet + Desktop

by escobarcaruso / November 9, 2012 5:00 AM PST

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a mobile solution for several purposes and at the same time, I really really want to replace my desktop, an old Dell dimension bought in 05.

For some reason, I'm really indecisive about what kind of machines I should get, a tablet / hybrid and a new desktop or simply an ultrabook. There's lots I don't know about mobile devices and I completely missed the smartphone / tablet "revolution" of the last couple of years. I also never owned a notebook, so I'm not sure about the comfort of one.

Mobile applications:

- reading, listening to music and watching stuff in public transportation, mainly busses, 90 minutes each day
- taking notes in class
- reading PDFs and listening to mp3s for guitar lessons
- displaying sheet music (.pdf files) on the note-stand of my piano
- watching Starcraft streams via Twitch.tv and gomtv player

Stationary applications:

- light gaming, mainly Starcraft II and maybe some of the more recent games (would love to play the upcoming Bioshock!)
- tons of research and office-applications for class
- watching movies on 2nd monitor
- music recording, editing and digital effects / drum

Especially regarding the office-applications and notes for class, I'd LOVE some sort of automatic synchronization.

I have a massive digital library of mainly Mp3s and if I understood it correctly, Apple-devices can only play videos and music you bought on itunes, so the iPad is out of the question. I've had the Surface for about a week now, and I love the hardware and general design, but the software leaves me wanting in a million instances, so I'll prolly return that to Microsoft. The Ultrabook-solution wouldn't work on the Note-stand I assume, but would cover most of the stuff I want. Convertibles would work even better, but would preclude me from any gaming.

I have about 1400 € to spare I'd like to invest, so here are the options I considered:

1. Getting a convertible sporting an i5 / HD 4000.

That would cover all the tasks, but cover all of them badly. More recent games wouldn't really work, I'd have to view .pdf-files in 16:9 and I'd always have to carry about a bag.

2. Getting a 7 Inch Tablet alongside an Ultrabook.
Here I'd miss out on a solution for the piano-stand and gaming wouldn't be ideal, but otherwise I'd be perfectly covered with some money to spare.

3. Getting a Desktop and a tablet
Neat, perfect gaming options but limited on note-taking for class, unless I'd stick to the awesome Surface. Still the 16:9 aspect-ratio sucks for .pdf, I'd still have rather limited mobility, would still have to rely on that bag and so on.

I'd really appreciate any and all imput on which solution might be better for my purposes. I've given this a lot of consideration, so please don't just reply with a wikipedia-article or an Amazon link.

Thanks so much guys,

c.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultrabook vs. Tablet + Desktop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultrabook vs. Tablet + Desktop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You had me till SYNC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 6:43 AM PST

And then you wrote " Apple-devices can only play videos and music you bought on itunes, " which can't be true as I've used HANDBRAKE to encode videos for the iPad.

What do I use. An OK laptop and the tablet is rarely used except to demo the software our office writes. I've found tablets to be far too limiting.
Bob

Collapse -
iPad
by escobarcaruso / November 9, 2012 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: You had me till SYNC.

Maybe I don't get how these Mac-products work, but I've been told that you can't just plug an iPad in to your PC via USB and drag and drop music on it.

But obviously I've been trolled, I should have realized that it would be rather ridiculous and totally nonsensical to not include such a basic feature.

Suddenly that makes the iPad a considerable option, since I really dig the 4:3 screen.

Collapse -
The drag and drop is true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: iPad

There are folk that will never accept using an app to do the loading of the hardware. And let's see about a drag and drop replacement? How about -> DropBox <-?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330?mt=8

OK, now I drop my content into my DropBox folder and it shows up on the iPad thing. Neatly sidestepping iTunes.

Does that count as a drag and drop?
bob

Collapse -
Dropbox App
by escobarcaruso / November 9, 2012 7:16 AM PST

Well, if an App that serves an extremely basic function costs USD 99.99, I can kind of relate to the reluctance to adapt.

Jesus Christ...

Collapse -
Edit:
by escobarcaruso / November 9, 2012 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Dropbox App

Also doesn't seem to support music.

So on an Apple-device, I can't use any of my 400 gigs of music, simply because I haven't purchased it via iTunes? What about music I recorded myself? Can't I listen to my own band because Apple isn't getting paid?

Collapse -
My DropBox was free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2012 9:20 AM PST
In reply to: Edit:

Where is this 99.99? Very odd. It appears that you are not going to like iTunes, DropBox and more.

And without such things, Sync is going to be trouble. In your case maybe there is no tablet for you.

Here's a very nice laptop I'm looking at. It boots in seconds from a zero power sleep. But I have encountered folk that will have nothing to do with that and will turn it off and suffer the longer boot. Your posts give me the impression you may be of the group that won't do iTunes or much else? I could be wrong.

-> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083S3MT2/
Bob

Collapse -
Well you could look at the option
by orlbuckeye / November 14, 2012 9:16 PM PST

of the desktop and the Samsung Galaxy Note tablet. You could even try the Sony that is a tablet and an all in one desktop. I'm not sure about the 16:9 aspect-ratio on the Sony.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.