Computer Help forum

Ultra Slow Computer Boot

by Hubertsng / January 6, 2013 8:04 AM PST

Okay well my computer startup is really slow and i'm not sure where else to put this. It isn't the windows 7 that is taking a long time (well it is too) but the startup of the COMPUTER. HP logo is showing for more than two minutes and it just sits there starting it up.... This problem hasn't happened until i upgraded and restored the computer today from home to ultimate. Changing the w7 to 64 bit didn't help either and i got nothing. The computer has been slower ever since i did it. I got 4GB or ram so it shouldn't be that shortage. I have used many programs to clean the computer since then and even scanned the entire computer with kaspersky anti-virus. I made the BIOS default and it is still really slow

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultra Slow Computer Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultra Slow Computer Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keep writing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 8:08 AM PST

Installing Windows takes more than just the WIndows DVD so tell us the entire install you did. Also, if some USB things are plugged in, the boot takes longer so keep writing.

Collapse -
Could be a lot of things
by itsdigger / January 6, 2013 8:14 AM PST
but I don't like the way this sounds ->-> " I have used many programs to clean the computer since then and even scanned the entire computer with kaspersky anti-virus. I made the BIOS default and it is still really slow" ... Cleaners usually leave you worse off than you started. Am I also understanding you did an upgrade before you used that cleaner?
Collapse -
Well then
by Hubertsng / January 6, 2013 8:32 AM PST

@R. Proffitt
I just had the windows install disc and i upgraded home premium to ultimate and that is it. and all i changed was the OS, nothing else. It was perfectly fine and then bam, restored and the booting up with the HP logo takes forever....

I'm just saying that i cleaned the computer so that can't be a solution. The computer was fine before i upgraded it and then i upgrade and restored the computer to ultimate and then it was slow. I thought cleaning it might help but it didn't.

Collapse -
So that means you get to finish the OS install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Well then

Nothing has changed since Windows came out. You must find the drivers for your machine and follow the maker's install instructions. I am encountering folk that are trying to avoid this but if they want a nice fast machine or at least what the machine is capable of, then they get to install Windows properly.

Collapse -
and when your'e
by itsdigger / January 6, 2013 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Well then

sure you have all of the correct drivers installed, go into the start up menu and un-check everything that you don't need running at start-up.

Collapse -
by Hubertsng / January 6, 2013 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: and when your'e

I have driver reviver and i installed all the latest drivers on my computer so far. I've also done the exact same thing on my old computer (windows vista to w7 ultimate) and it didn't becmoe any slower
and it isn't my windows start up that is slow. it's the computer start up with the HP logo. Pretty sure there is a difference. The computer takes about two mninutes to load the screen to load the windows OS.

Collapse -
"driver reviver"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Well....

Odd idea. There can be other issues but until I hear about a standard install according to the maker's instructions it sounds as if it's the usual bum install.

2 minutes can be quite normal. But look at the details so far.

Collapse -
by Hubertsng / January 7, 2013 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: "driver reviver"

What do you mean details, like a program to look and it or do you just mean what has been said in this thread so far.
Well this problem isn't that bad of a problem since I hibernate the computer and it takes quick to start from there, standard less than five seconds.

Collapse -
Details such as make, model, install plan.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Details?

Read where we see the install plan.

Your posts so far omit the fine details and so no one can do more than guess.

It is a HP from what I can tell and you've used some driver reviver and found it to come up short. Why not install Windows like it's been done for over a decade? (with a plan.)

Collapse -
by Eric-JanHteA / January 6, 2013 11:45 AM PST

Never forget that hardware issues can cause slow startup too. Such as:

- overheating due to several causes
- bad seated connectors
- bad blocks on your hard-drive (just ran into this myself)
- etc

To rule these out,
- check the event log for eventual clues
- if no luck, perform a clean installation to a former good working
state (pre-upgrade) on a wiped or brand new hard drive

With Kind Regards,
The Netherlands.

Collapse -
HP Drivers
by pyrrhus55 / January 8, 2013 7:38 AM PST

I would recommend downloading the drivers directly from HP support.
In that way you are absolutely sure you have the proper ones for your model computer.

Collapse -
by Hodaras / January 8, 2013 3:24 PM PST

If you bought an HP computer, HP by defualt has many programs and services that run on startup that are very unnecessary, if you google black viper you will find a list of all the neccessary windows 7 services, disabling all non-essential services will undoubtedly improve start up and overall performance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.