Samsung forum

General discussion

Ultra Slim Wall Mount + Power Cord = Doesn't Fit Behind?

by cabelsa / April 30, 2009 5:02 PM PDT

Hey Guys,

I have a UN55B7100, and the Ultra Slim Wall Mount.

I just added a recessed power outlet into my wall behind the TV so I can eliminate cords.

Despite being recessed, when the TV's power cord is plugged into the outlet, the cord still sticks out about 1" from the wall -- even when I bend it as tight as possible.

The result: when the TV is then mounted, the power cord end is jamming right into the back of the Ultra Slim mounted TV, stick further out than the wall mount, which causes the TV to "bow" out at an angle -- tight at the top and far at the bottom. It looks ultra bad, not ultra slim.

The question: what have people done here? Do I need to find a more recessed power outlet somewhere? (Can you recommend one?) Or is there an alternate power cord I can attach to the set somehow that doesn't stick out so much?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

-Cabel

PS: Here is the outlet in question: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042505&p_id=4006&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultra Slim Wall Mount + Power Cord = Doesn't Fit Behind?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultra Slim Wall Mount + Power Cord = Doesn't Fit Behind?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another possibility....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 2, 2009 9:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
In-Wall Power Solution for the UltraSlim
by PowerBridge_Tech / June 1, 2010 7:32 AM PDT

Hello, new here to cnet. This was intended to catch attention of Samsung_HD_Tech. I'm not here to advertise, however in reading the thread regarding a solution for this issue, I felt it may be viewed as a positive.

I'm a tech support leader for PowerBridge Solution. We engineered a solution specifically for the Samsung Flat-Plug power cord to allow the cord to plug in to a specialized power outlet to allow the lowest profile possible.

This is actually a complete DIY ready to install in-wall power-extension kit for standard construction walls, (won't work too well in brick.) It's very easy to install and safe, you are never in contact with electricity while installing it. It also provides a method to have the TV plugged into surge protection.

We have 2 different solutions available depending on what you need. Take a look or ask me questions.
http://powerbridgesolution.com/flatplugsolution.html

Collapse -
same issue
by miclocker / September 30, 2009 1:24 AM PDT

Having the same issue as you with the power cord. Presently attempting to find a deeper recessed outlet box. You may have already found a solution but I will let you know if I find something that works.

tom

Collapse -
Any solution?
by may247 / October 20, 2009 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

Have you found a solution yet?

Collapse -
solution
by miclocker / July 25, 2010 3:01 PM PDT

tried several things but what i foung to work the best was buying another power cord (got one for $19.95 on ebay) because i did not want to ruin my warranty and then cut the cord and spliced it into another cord that would fit behind. it no longer sticks out and has been working well for the past few months and i still have back cord if something goes wrong.

hope it helps.

Collapse -
Questions on your solution
by PowerBridge_Tech / July 26, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: solution

Respectfully, not sure I fully understand what you actually did with the cord you bought from ebay.
Did you use it to replace the original flat-plug cord on the TV? Isn't that a "hardwired" cord attached to the inside of your TV? Maybe your does detach, some models might.
Was the "new" cord a standard straight-type end? Did you use a recessed power outlet?
Did you actually run the power cord or extension cord in the wall behind the drywall?

As a safety warning, you should not run the TV power cord or any extension cord in the wall / ceiling or behind the drywall as this violates national and local electrcial codes in the US and Canada.

Chris, PowerBridge Solution Tech

Collapse -
answer
by miclocker / July 31, 2010 10:24 AM PDT

had a recessed plug behind the tv. but it was still sticking out to far. so bought another cord as my cord is detachable but i did not want to ruin the warranty because i was told if the cord was cut that it would. so used another cord that would fit behind and then just wired the end piece that connects to the tv as it was a special connector this way it would fit behind the tv in the recessed plug and not mess with the connection to the tv or the electric in the wall. hope this answers your questions.

Collapse -
by PowerBridge_Tech / August 1, 2010 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: answer

Thanks for the time to reply. Didn't know the Ultra Slim TV's had the ability to unplug the power cord to replace with a straight plug.
Sounds like your solution worked well for you. Guessing you aren't using a super low-profile wall mount.

Note, if you are installing the WMN1000 mount or any of the ultra-low-profile mounts from Sanus or Peerless that have less than 2" clearance, the straight-end power cord plugs will stick out too far with any of the standard recessed outlets.

Chris PowerBridge Solution Tech

Collapse -
ebay power cord
by fdkiani / April 6, 2013 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: solution

can you please help me find this on ebay? what did you search for? i tried "slim power cord"....couldn't find it

Collapse -
A hope you haven't already torn apart your wall....
by PGAjg / September 19, 2010 10:50 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my new PN63C8000... the damn plug is so big it wouldn't even fit in a recessed outlet, and when left normally it pushes the TV out.... however, included with the slim-mount packaging are 4 grey washers that push the tv away from the wall by about 1/2-3/4," enough to clear the plug. Yes that means the tv isn't mounted as closely to the wall as it could be, but it's still pretty close and at least it's not tilted from one corner.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issue before they start doing crazy DIY stuff

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.