Laptops forum

General discussion

ultra portable & fastest MINI LAPTOP 2G of RAM to run Skype?

by miniskype / March 26, 2010 1:13 AM PDT

I am a medical doctor who will begin to make home visits this coming July. I need to purchase a laptop with at least 2G of RAM. I would like to find the thinnest & lightest, ultra portable mini laptop that will also run SKYPE and surf the internet via a wireless connection fast and efficiently. Please advise. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ultra portable & fastest MINI LAPTOP 2G of RAM to run Skype?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ultra portable & fastest MINI LAPTOP 2G of RAM to run Skype?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try another voip client
by white-bread / March 28, 2010 10:30 AM PDT

and another processor.

Collapse -
Ultra portable
by pipoates / April 16, 2010 2:20 PM PDT

I have very successfully used my Acer Aspire One with skype and it often works better than my desktop. I only have 1GB of RAM but that can be upgraded to 2GB. I have been exceptionally happy with it. I have the 6 cell battery so it runs for ages, no problem

Collapse -
Acer Aspire 1410

I own this laptop a i can tell you that its quite possibly the best ultra-portable
that money can buy.
It includes:
HD 11.6" LED LCD screen
160 gb Hard Disk
Intel Celeron Prosessor
6 cell Li-ion battery
Windows 7 Home PREMIUM
It's a bit more expensive and a little bigger. But for what you get with it
,it's a bargain.

Collapse -
Get an MSI netbook
by zxxxt / May 24, 2010 4:50 PM PDT

I can vouch for MSI quality and reliability. This is my only laptop and it serves its purpose well. I can use it for making VoIP calls not only with Skype but with a regular VoIP provider like Onesuite.

I'm running X-lite softphone and it works every time. I can even play some games on it.

320GB HD
2GB Ram
9 cell battery

Here's my own review for the MSI U210x netbook

Collapse -
MacBook Air
by larrydunt / September 13, 2010 3:27 PM PDT

MacBook Air is the thinnest and lightest notebook I can think of.

Height: 0.16-0.76 inch (0.4-1.94 cm)
Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)1

120GB 4200-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive or 128GB solid-state drive2
Optional external USB MacBook Air SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM

1.86GHz or 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed/1066MHz frontside bus/2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM onboard

Built-in iSight camera
Mini DisplayPort

Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking4 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.