Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Ultimate: Extremely slow copy & paste

by DryvBy / February 8, 2007 3:52 AM PST

My specs (so you'll know):

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ultimate: Extremely slow copy & paste
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ultimate: Extremely slow copy & paste
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ict-cramps / February 8, 2007 9:30 PM PST

depends on where your are copying it to. if you are copying it to another place on the local disk then you probably have a problem, if you are copy it to a wireless network disk then i would HIGHLY doubt that in 2 minutes you could copy 10GB. Look in task manger under processes see whats holding your cpu up , try breaking down the files your copying

Collapse -
Same slow copy and paste problem on Vista Home Premium
by dfeeney73 / February 10, 2007 12:09 AM PST

I am experiencing exactly the same copy and paste problem on my HP Pavilion Slimline s7700n with Vista Home Premium with very similar specs. Even copying 21 KB from one C:\ directory to another just took me about 40 seconds.

My Windows Explorer is not intolerably slow, except when trying to read from CDs. I backed up some pictures from my old XP PC, and trying to view them on the CD is so slow that it usually locks up Windows Explorer. Each time is locks up, it takes literally about 3-4 minutes to recover (much longer than even on my old XP machine).

I could probably accept this if I knew it were a known issue. Until I saw this thread, I assumed there was something wrong with my particular PC. If anyone is familiar with the issues above, I would be settled to know that it's Vista that sucks and not me. Thanks!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.