Samsung forum

Alert

UE40D7000 - Wd- 3TB

by TodorfromVarna / August 28, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

UE40D7000 TV can not read these discs -WD 3TB -3.5

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UE40D7000 - Wd- 3TB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UE40D7000 - Wd- 3TB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2012 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: UE40D7000 - Wd- 3TB

We've seen many posts that USB 3.0 and the new large drives do not work.
Bob

Collapse -
Activate EFI in special partitions for linux kernel
by maromo1961 / November 18, 2012 5:07 PM PST
In reply to: Probably true.

This problem is easily solved in the VDR firmware for a very old Siemens Gigaset 740 by simply changing to "yes" the support for EFI in the special partitions item of the siemens-linux kernel 2.4.14-xfs and recompiling the firmware (this has been checked that solve the problem for many 3TB and 4TB usb disks).

It is really hard to me to think the we must assume that Samsung cannot do the same thing on the kernels they use to implement their firmwares.

It is as easy as activating a support that already appears in 2.4 kernel family.

Collapse -
Nice to read but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 3:10 AM PST

Who said they are using Linux? There were a few models with that core OS but as you can guess UEFI or EFI carries a license fee so makers may avoid this for years if they can.
Bob

Collapse -
We are talking about EFI/GPT (GUID partition table).
by maromo1961 / November 19, 2012 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: Nice to read but

Maybe, I haven't explained very well my question/demand.

There is no license fee for supporting EFI/GPT tables on hdd drives as a substitute for MBR tables. That support is a Intel standard implemented in GPL linux kernels since the change of millenium as well as in OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

Then, Bob, what are you talking about? We are talking about using bigger than 2TB usb disks at full capacity. That's all. To do that the clearest alternative is to give support to EFI/GPT partition tables. This is what is achieved in a linux kernel in a basic system by configuring the kernel with CONFIGURE_EFI_PARTITION=y. Despite the name this means support for GPT tables, amongst other things.

EFI/GPT is a standard to go beyond the limitations of 32-bit partitions using MBR.

The problem with Samsung is that everything about its firmwares seems to be mysterious. As an example, many people think that their usb hdd's and pen-drives are broken because nobody tells them that formating them with their UE40D7000 TV puts an XFS filesytem in them. Of course, many of them do not have support for the XFS filesystem in their MS Windows boxes (they do not have something like GPL Crossmeta, for example). This support for reading and, the most important, writing for the XFS filesystem made me suspect that they were using a Linux kernel. Were Samsung violating the GPL license is not my problem and I suppose not yours; in any case, this wouldn't have anything to do with paying any license fee.

Anyway, the main question is that activating GPT support shouldn't be hard, even without using a Linux kernel, because we must take into account that we are not trying to boot any system from the USB hard drive porting the GPT table. This is the important point, I repeat it: we are not trying to boot from a GPT partitioned usb disk, we only want to use its full capacity.

If a very old Siemens Gigaset m740 can do it, why not our "SmartTV" from Samsung ?

I own two Samsung TV's: UE37D5000 and UE40D7000 and I only expect being of some help in order to address this issue properly.

Miguel

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2012 1:04 AM PST

Keep posting and asking for support. For now we know to avoid the USB 3.0 drives.

If you want to get closer to Samsung developers, join the team at the next link.
http://developer.samsung.com/home.do

You can get a lot more insight if you develop on their platforms. I will not reveal all that I am doing at the office so I'm going to remain a little mysterious as well.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.