Samsung

Question

UE32ES550: 2 USB ports - need to connect 3 USB devices.

by seanrm2711 / December 9, 2012 7:46 AM PST

Hi,

Just got my parents a UE32ES5500 Smart TV. They love it, but the 2 USB ports are taken up with the wifi dongle and Skype camera, but they also want to connect their wireless USB keyboard. Tried using a simple USB hub, but it seems that both the camera and the dongle don't like sharing!

Was wondering if a mains-powered USB hub would do the trick, or has anyone else worked out how to connect more than 2 USB devices at the same time to these TVs.

Thank you!

Sean.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UE32ES550: 2 USB ports - need to connect 3 USB devices.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UE32ES550: 2 USB ports - need to connect 3 USB devices.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 8:13 AM PST

From a prior reply, USB hubs of any sort don't work. No drivers. These are no PCs so it's like putting 4 slices of toast into a 2 slice toaster. That comes out half baked.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by seanrm2711 / December 9, 2012 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

Thanks for that.

Hmmm....

Is there any such thing as a HDMI > USB adapter?
If so, maybe they could make use of one of the free HDMI ports? (bit of wishful thinking here)

If not, I think the only option is to make use of the TV's ethernet port (couple of Powerline adapters) to get the internet connection, and free-up the USB port that the wifi dongle is currently using.

Pain in the a$$

Collapse -
(NT) We'll see what the Samsung rep adds.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
(NT) Hope so Bob!
by seanrm2711 / December 9, 2012 1:02 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: UE32ES550: 2 USB ports - need to connect 3 USB devices
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 10, 2012 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Hope so Bob!

Hi Sean,

Thanks for putting me on the spot, Bob. Wink

So here's the thing. Officially, they're not supported. But some customers have reported that different models of USB hubs will work. The highest frequency reports are non-powered hubs.

But I cannot guarantee that this will work.

HD Tech

Collapse -
HDMI 2 USB
by cad7348 / December 10, 2012 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Yes they make those also just Google it. I think I found the last weird one like that at "CableTech" or something like that.

Collapse -
Answer
Logitech
by cad7348 / December 10, 2012 7:37 AM PST

Logitech makes either wireless keyboard and mouse separately that both use 1 dongle or they also make a wireless keyboard with a trackpad on it so you would free up a port. I have both and they work great. I believe they also have a webcam that will all 3 use the same USB "transmitter" dongle. It is not bluetooth so all the Logitech pieces run on the same transmitter dongle....

Collapse -
Thank you
by seanrm2711 / December 10, 2012 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Logitech

Thanks lads.

HD Tech>
Will try one or two other USB hubs that we have lying around - see if we can strike it lucky.
If not, going for a pair of Powerline adapters.
At least I know they will work, and we'll be able to have everything working at the same time.

cad7348>
Couldn't locate a full-size HDMI > USB adapter...almost everything seems to be "micro".
Then I'd be looking for a micro > full-size adapter, too.
I was hoping to avoid spaghetti with this TV....
Anyway, without solid confirmation that such a thing would actually work with the TV, I think I'll give it a miss and go for the pair of Powerlines.

Already have the touch-pad on the wireless keyboard.
It works great, but only when the Skype camera isn't plugged in!
Samsung Skype camera works well (but expensive) so we'll stick with that.

Thanks again.

Sean.

Collapse -
non-powered hubs
by seanrm2711 / December 10, 2012 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

HD Tech>>

Do you happen to know the names of any makes/models of USB hub that have been reported to work, or possibly point me in the direction of the reports?

Cheers.

Sean.

Collapse -
Hubs
by cad7348 / December 11, 2012 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: non-powered hubs

No you are really trying to go the wrong direction with the power in a USB hub. That is why I suggested the Logitech keyboard and mouse since they both run off the same receiver; not a USB powered hub and does not use wifi or bluetooth to complete it goals. Like I said I think they may even have a webcam that would allow all 3 items to run off of only one receiver and leave you with more USB ports open.

Collapse -
re: Hubs
by seanrm2711 / December 11, 2012 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Hubs

In simple financial terms it makes sense for me to drop the 25 pounds Samsung wifi dongle and go for a pair of Powerline adapters (another 25) straight into the TV's Ethernet port. Then I'll have a USB port free for my existing wireless keyboard.

Going the Logitech route would mean wasting a 60 pounds Samsung camera + 30 pounds wireless keyboard and then having to replace them.

Collapse -
Re: non-powered hubs
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2012 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: non-powered hubs

Hi seanrm2711,

Sorry, I can't recommend any particular model or brand. As far as the reports go, there's no place I can point you because this wasn't knowledge I gained from a usnet forum or something else like that. I will say that the only consistent fact was that they were non-powered.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.