Linux forum

Resolved Question

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support 1GB ram

by Sarathikarthik / June 25, 2013 3:08 PM PDT

Hi ,
i have 1 GB ram ,duo core processor and running with windows xp and its very slow and hangs up many times , if i install ubuntu 12.04 it ll give me some good OS experience i dont want my pc hung when i m working on emergency ,all experts kindly suggest whether i can go for ubuntu else retain in the windows xp.

Sarathikarthik has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support 1GB ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support 1GB ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Sarathikarthik

Collapse -
XP should be fine on that much RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 8:49 PM PDT

The issues usually find a machine in need of the usual maintenance (cleaning, fresh heatsink compound) and maybe a scan for malware but as presented I'd expect troubles to follow the OS change if XP has such issues.
Bob

Collapse -
ubuntu migration doubt
by Sarathikarthik / June 25, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

There is lot of unwanted process like malware and virus running in my pc if i install antivirus software it takes most of the memory other application are getting lags ,and i m using chrome browser thunderbird mail client and zoc terminal and pdf this are my frequent application so if i migrate to ubuntu 12.04 it ll support all those ??,and if ubuntu can run within 1GB RAM and gives me good experience ?? .pls suggest me if i can migrate to ubuntu 12.04 or not
Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Then Kees reply is spot on as well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: ubuntu migration doubt

Just wondering, why didn't you clean out the malware? There are plenty of posts on that in the CNET Spyware forum and Kees offers a sure fix for that.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 8:56 PM PDT

So it seems that if there is no hardware issue, your choices are:
1. Reinstall Windows XP to go back to factory conditions, so it's as fast as it was when you bought it.
2. Use Linux.

It might be a useful experiment to run Ubuntu from the disc (CD or DVD). Then you can see how it would behave. If it gives the same problems as XP, it's a hardware issue.

Kees

Collapse -
ubuntu migration
by Sarathikarthik / June 25, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: RAM

There is lot of unwanted process like malware and virus running in my pc if i install antivirus software it takes most of the memory other application are getting lags ,and i m using chrome browser thunderbird mail client and zoc terminal and pdf this are my frequent application so if i migrate to ubuntu 12.04 it ll support all those ??,and if ubuntu can run within 1GB RAM and gives me good experience ?? .pls suggest me if i can migrate to ubuntu 12.04 or not
Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Yes
by 3rdalbum / June 26, 2013 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: ubuntu migration

Yes, Chrome, Thunderbird and PDF readers are available on Linux. I don't know what "zoc terminal" is.

Bear in mind, you can't run Windows programs on Linux. If you decide to switch to Linux, you will need to use native Linux programs (available from your distribution's package manager) instead of trying to use Windows programs.

Ubuntu 12.04 is a good choice for a Windows XP-era computer. It's generally a good choice no matter what. You can boot your computer from the Ubuntu CD and try the operating system without risk. When you know you want to install it, you can double-click the Install icon on the Ubuntu desktop to install Ubuntu to your hard disk.

Back up all your Windows data first.

Collapse -
Answer
Check out Linux Lite
by itsdigger / June 26, 2013 1:57 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.