Samsung

Question

UA50ES5600m - Cannot read 1TB USB external drive?

by guyro1989 / February 5, 2013 4:57 AM PST

I bought the samsung ua50es5600m television, and I have it in my possesion for 3 days now. Since the first day, I tried to connect my WD "my passport 1TB", without any luck.
2. I heard a rumor about that the TV set has a limit for the memory that could be read from the extrernal drive. I have 1TB drive. Is that the problem? (I connected a smaller USB drive without ANY problem)
3. Is there a way to fix this problem without having to find another drive to connect to the television?

Good day,
I hope you'll help me. Wink

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UA50ES5600m - Cannot read 1TB USB external drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UA50ES5600m - Cannot read 1TB USB external drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is the drive USB 3.0?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 9:35 AM PST

If so, try some USB 2.0 drive. I did not ask if you formatted the drive according to the manuals.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually, it is compatiable with both USB 2.0/3.0
by guyro1989 / February 5, 2013 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Is the drive USB 3.0?

It has one cable that is supposed to fit both technologies.
The other drive I tested with the TV is a WD elements 500GB, that has the same compatibilty. This one, I have to say, did connect to the TV successfully.

Collapse -
Then you have to call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2013 1:55 AM PST

I can only warn you about the supposed 3.0 compatibility. It appears you think it is compatible in spite of many reports. What more can be offered?
Bob

Collapse -
I don't think it's relevant whether it's USB 3.0 compatiable
by guyro1989 / February 6, 2013 3:43 AM PST

Hmm, I should say the external drive works perfectly and it's not the issue, the TV is. I even don't know if i'll call an tech guy over the drive issue, even though I wish deeply to fix my problem.
As I said, it should be able to connect with the TV, as it's connecting to my PC (WinXP SP3).
Moreover, my other drive, an WD elements 500GB I use for work only (no movies in it) has connected to the TV without any problem. Is it the sheer 1TB volume of my primary driver, the WD passport?
If it is not an easy task to fix, I can try other methods or maybe to buy a flash drive to watch my blu-ray movies. The downside is that all of my movies are stored at my 1TB drive, and I thought it would be the easiest thing to do -- Watch my movies directly from the drive without having to turn to another storing device.

Well, if it's not really the volume issue, and no one has another offer for me, it's a bummer.
Bob - Thanks for the help so far (hopefully to fix the problem fast) and have a good day.
Guy

Collapse -
I apologize.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2013 6:22 AM PST

The issue has been gone over too many times. Please call it in and ask them directly what's up. I shared what folk have found and beyond the format issues, you will find USB 3.0 drives just don't work not matter what. Yes, it's supposed to be backwards compatible.

Now what to do? Have those that say it is make it work,.
Bob

Collapse -
All Fixed! Appears that a password was locking the drive...
by guyro1989 / February 7, 2013 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: I apologize.

Well I feel stupid...
I logged in my drive to the pc and the WD security window popped in. Then, it stroke me! I switched the security option in the WD software off, and tried to connect the drive to the TV again.
Miraclously it worked!
So, thanks for all the help, although it was not solved here... Have a great weekend without any tech issues. Happy
Guy

Collapse -
Nice to know what it was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 12:02 AM PST

Does it come by default switched on? I work as if it is stock out of the box condition.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.