Audio & Video Software

Question

Tying to find an Song Lyric SRT Download Site

by mikebinz / February 7, 2013 12:39 PM PST

Does anyone know of any Site where you can download Song Lyrics in SRT Format?

Preferrably free and collaborative

Google has failed me so far...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tying to find an Song Lyric SRT Download Site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tying to find an Song Lyric SRT Download Site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Should be few. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 12:18 AM PST

As you discovered the lyrics are also copyrighted and can't be freely disseminated.
Bob

Collapse -
I Don't Understand
by mikebinz / February 8, 2013 3:26 AM PST

There are a multitude of sites you can get Song Lyrics from only from; are they all illegal?

Surely putting up SRT's would be no different?

Collapse -
Many don't get it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: I Don't Understand

If you find it, then you're done but as I'm no lawyer all I can share that lyrics are copyrighted so it's not a sure thing that you will find them.

And anyone that runs such a site would be in constant threat of legal actions.

What's to understand here?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Possible, but requires work
by GBVishJourno / February 16, 2013 2:17 PM PST

Well, you won't get srt files for lyrics online, simply put, and I know this because I was also searching for the same.

What you can do however is download lyrics from any site and then make them into subtitles using software.

Most people recommend using Subtitle Workshop, which allows you to create and modify subtitles which can then be mapped accordingly.

It will obviously take time, but the end result is pretty good.

You could also try another method that I haven't. Download two files - minilyrics and the DivXI and Media Subtitler.

Once done, when you open a file in Windows Media Player, you should see a lyrics tab somewhere. I have never tried this method so I don't know if it works. That will open the requisite lrc file (LRC), which you can then open using the Subtitler and save as SRT.

If you want free software for the same, try AegisSub or SubtitleEdit, both of which are free.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
1/2 Way There
by mikebinz / February 17, 2013 3:09 AM PST

Thanks GBVishJourno; some good tips here

I have made quite a few .SRT Files manually and it is a pretty slow process

DivXLand Media Subtitler boasts "Automatic caption timing set and correction", which would be a massive time-saver if it works, I'll post a review after trying it

If anyone knows for certain about the legality of sharing Lyrics and Subtiltles I'm still very interested to know

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.