Desktops forum

General discussion

two workstation on one machine ? is it possible ?

by smoopi / December 18, 2006 1:16 AM PST

Hi,
i'm having a computer that has one display, one keyboard and one mouse.
i want to add another set of display+keyboard+mouse,to the same computer, so two users can work at the same time, and each one can run different program, or use the internet.
is it possible ?
if so, how ???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: two workstation on one machine ? is it possible ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: two workstation on one machine ? is it possible ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) It's cheaper, faster and easier to buy another workstation
by gtelliott88 / December 18, 2006 9:24 AM PST
Collapse -
How is it cheaper? i think otherwise...
by smoopi / December 19, 2006 1:47 PM PST

instead of having 2 machine with hard disk, cd, memory etc.. you will need only one!
you will need 2 display, 2 keyboard and 2 mouse any way.
i agree it may be bit slow if the 2 users run heavy programs, but for most applications (like word, or internet..) there shouldn't be any performance problem.
if you look at the Windows Task Manager, under Processes, you will most likely see you'r cpu is Idle in 99 percent of the time....

Collapse -
If you've been around for a few years...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2006 2:00 PM PST

You'd know. But I'll give you the benifit of the doubt here. With the current Microsoft OS they will hit you up for another license ($$$) and you still need some way to handle keyboard and such.

You may be wanting to run "Windows" but if you ran Linux you could find some old PC and connect it to the host PC and do such for cheap. But I wonder if you could only use Windows? You didn't say.

For example there are millions of 486s and Pentiums in dumpsters all over the world. Take one of those and this...

http://linuxgazette.net/issue68/swieskowski.html

Bob

Collapse -
Need this for office setup
by jenn333 / January 2, 2007 1:03 AM PST

I am looking for something similar and not sure if it is possible. I need to hook up 2 x keyboard, mouse and monitor to one tower. One set must be located ~ 100' from the tower. Is this possible to do? The end user needs the same system but does his work in two different areas of the office. He can't work off of two different systems since when he moves in between the different work areas he bascially needs to pick up where he left off.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Which is why we have laptops and wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2007 1:30 AM PST

Bingo, done.

Bob

Collapse -
So there is really no feasible solution?
by jenn333 / January 2, 2007 2:26 AM PST

Okay. I just figured there must have been something out there. I thought maybe people would use a solution such as this for controlling server rooms, etc. Thanks for you help.

Collapse -
Not quite what you want, but...
by steve749 / January 2, 2007 2:38 AM PST

You could set up a server that accepts multiple remote connections and uses something like "Remote Desktop" so that you can have 2 people on the same machine, though this does mean having 3 computers as each of the 2 have their own to connect to the server.

What you have in server rooms usually is one display that can switch between machines which is the opposite of what you're looking for I think.

Collapse -
Yeah, this is a tough one...
by jenn333 / January 2, 2007 2:50 AM PST

Everything works in the way of a KVM. Several systems but only one keyboard/mouse. I think I have found a KVM console extender (SV565UTP) through Startech that may work the way I want. If I connect the tower to one KVM and then run a network cable to the KVM console extender it should work. Then I will just run the second set of monitor/KBD and mouse off of the KVM extender box. "In theory" in should work. Thanks again for your help!

Collapse -
Costs involved with long KVMs exceed that of a cheap laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2007 2:56 AM PST

It's something some don't factor in. I'd take the cheap exit.

Bob

Collapse -
I understand what you are saying
by jenn333 / January 2, 2007 3:19 AM PST

but this is a CAD workstation. A simple cheap laptop will not suffice. I was trying to find an alternative to purchasing another 6K system and having to run some type of PCanywhere type software which is way to system heavy.

Collapse -
Surprise. Core 2 Duo laptops are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2007 3:43 AM PST

Doing great at CAD. But you left out so much detail in your first post that I offer the simple solution.

As to PC Anywhere, there is TightVNC, REALVNC which is free for you to use.

bob

Collapse -
not really
by pfred / January 6, 2007 5:28 AM PST

Reading though the thread as of 1/6/07; I found that we got a little offtopic.

You probably are looking to SAVE $$. The way that current PCs are built, it won't easily respond to multiple 'CONSOLE'

My advice is for you to look towards networking. what do you need or want to share, what are the license restrictions...

After you review what you need, re-post with your reqs & we should be MUCH better able to help you get there.

Collapse -
Use one PC to run up to 9 independant workstation
by bpl5000 / January 12, 2007 9:56 PM PST

If you have 3 PCI slots in your computer, you could run up to 9 PCs. I am currently running 3 workstations from one PC. The X300 runs about 220 for 3 boxes, which is not bad considering the fact that you turn 1 computer into 3. Take a look at the X300.

http://www.ncomputing.com/ncomputing/products/direct.php
http://ncomputing.com/ncomputing/download/flyer/X300_flyer_(eng)2.pdf

They also have ethernet workstations. Just plug it into your network and you are ready to go. It uses the power of your host PC over the network. You could have one PC in one room and a workstation box in another. Take a look at the L200. It runs about 200 for each box.

http://www.ncomputing.com/ncomputing/products/typel200.php

These are great products and you can find them on TigerDirect and I think CDW. At my workplace, we have over a thousand PCs and we have a replacement plan of 4 years. Now we are going to start using these workstations and it will be saving us over six figures in 2 years.

Collapse -
Why not go to 7 figures? (use Linux)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2007 10:04 PM PST

With Linux you could do even better both on hardware and software costs.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.