TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Two stands on top of each other?

by hypnotoad72 / May 6, 2012 7:51 AM PDT

I started to do some cleaning (I've yet to finish) and wanted to raise the TV stand.

I did a level check and the bottom stand has always had a slight downward slant to the right.

The bottom stand will accommodate 95 pounds.

So I've put a second stand atop of it, and the TV on top of it.

TV set is 34 pounds.

Second stand is 50~60 pounds, and underneath it is a small prop to help counterbalance the difference between in weight on the left side of the second stand that's not parallel to the first stand. (the slight bowing came from the heavy 13x19" paper (net weight of it being 40 pounds) that had been sitting in the stand's shelves.

I've some books hidden in the left cabinet and behind the speaker there to help prop up the left side of the top stand as well. This is not the cause of the rightward slanting, which has always seemingly been there...

Dust bunny party aside, do you think this configuration will hold? Or would you think this is too risky and/or idiotic a thing to attempt?

hypnotoad72 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two stands on top of each other?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two stands on top of each other?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by hypnotoad72

Collapse -
I wouldn't risk it
by Pepe7 / May 6, 2012 3:45 PM PDT

Looks a little like a small disaster waiting to happen IMO.

Find a way to shim the stand if it's a truly bad angle, or mount the HDTV on the wall behind. Sometimes mounts go on sale, luckily Wink

Collapse -
Or if it needs re-seating...
by hypnotoad72 / May 9, 2012 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't risk it

I might get a new stand, taller, altogether...

Thx for the response!

Collapse -
I agree with Pepe7
by williamstech / May 10, 2012 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't risk it

If I was you i would hang the TV and use the smaller of the two stands to hold A/V equip.

Collapse -
Risky or not.. idiotic or not,
by ahtoi / May 6, 2012 6:16 PM PDT

my question is ..why? Whats cleaning go to do with it or are we doing a physics problem, hehe.

Collapse -
by hypnotoad72 / May 9, 2012 7:59 AM PDT

Well, I was a bit behind on cleaning, but the main reason for the height is to make playing Kinect games a tad easier...

I didn't recheck my wording before posting; I'd wanted to raise the TV by applying a second stand... oops. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.