Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Two operating systems, how do I safely remove one?

by adlianb / February 25, 2010 11:35 PM PST

my previous install of wins7 is not fucntioning well so i reinstall it but it seems i did not do a fresh install, instead the 2nd install was piled on top of the initial wins7. so now whenever i start up the pc, it ask which operating i want to use, even though both are wins7. how do i delete the initial wins7??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two operating systems, how do I safely remove one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two operating systems, how do I safely remove one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reformat
by jeff_windows_team / February 26, 2010 2:12 AM PST

When you boot from the installation disc you are given the option to reformat your hard disk. Once you format, follow through with the instructions and you should have one partition with Windows installed on it.

Collapse -
Sometimes it's just confused
by wyrmzr / February 26, 2010 7:37 PM PST
In reply to: reformat

When it's not a complete Windows install, but it's showing up as an option anyway, you can simply tell Windows not to show it as an option (typically it's not taking any real drive space, so it can be ignored).
Right click on your Computer icon, or get there from Control Panel, under System. Under the Advanced Settings, go to Startup and Recovery. There's a check box in the option "Time to display list of Operating Systems". Just uncheck it and that annoying prompt for a non-existent O/S goes away.

Collapse -
Time to display list of Operating Systems , undo plz.
by best_nada / June 3, 2010 10:06 PM PDT

Plz. help
I do this
When it's not a complete Windows install, but it's showing up as an option anyway, you can simply tell Windows not to show it as an option (typically it's not taking any real drive space, so it can be ignored).
Right click on your Computer icon, or get there from Control Panel, under System. Under the Advanced Settings, go to Startup and Recovery. There's a check box in the option "Time to display list of Operating Systems". Just uncheck it and that annoying prompt for a non-existent O/S goes away.
But, when i make restart nothing work
pleeeeeeez. help me to undo it .

Collapse -
One more time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2010 10:11 PM PDT

Since you just installed the OS and failed then tried again and ended up with 2 installs then broke that, WHY NOT wipe out and use what you learned to install one more time?
Bob

Collapse -
hi
by best_nada / June 3, 2010 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: One more time.

thanks
how can i start safe mode, i try f6 f8 , nothing can do
but lets try anything before re-install
10x.

Collapse -
Looks like a dead end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2010 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

If you can't boot the Windows 7 DVD and if the repairs fail...

It's this simple. You have a fresh install so nothing much will be lost.

If there is a lesson about repairing Windows, it's not a sure thing.
Bob

Collapse -
Edit boot.ini
by best_nada / June 4, 2010 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Looks like a dead end.

Hi, i install fresh copy wind 7 ultm.
it's still asking which operating sys. you need to login
i need to delete xp, ank keep the wind.7
i need to edit boot.ini
i know that i can delete the xp operating from there
Can u help me
Note: i delete the old_windows folder
Thanks

Collapse -
Since Windows 7 does not use BOOT.INI
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2010 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Edit boot.ini

I can't help you. Do some research on this title -> EASYBCD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.