Storage

General discussion

Two Hard Drives, Now What?

by judyneric / December 1, 2003 10:02 PM PST

I started with a 20GB hard drive, and just added a 120GB hard drive. Everything is still on the 20GB. I use XP.

Where should I put files? Should I keep XP on the 20GB and move all my data and programs to the 120GB? Or vice versa? Any ideas on this?

One thing I will be doing is putting old Hi8 tapes through my camcorder (via firewire) so I can convert them to DVD. I would assume I am best off transferring these to the 120GB as it is faster and larger.

But should I move anything off my old slower 20GB HD; would my system performance increase by moving EVERYTHING over to the new drive?

Oh, and how would I do any of this? THANK YOU!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two Hard Drives, Now What?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two Hard Drives, Now What?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Two Hard Drives, Now What?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 10:20 PM PST

"Where should I put files?"

Where you can find them.

"Should I keep XP on the 20GB and move all my data and programs to the 120GB? Or vice versa? Any ideas on this?"

I just did something similar. I used Ghost2002 to copy a system from one drive to another, removed the older slower drive as a backup and made the newer faster drive as the master and wher the OS is and files are. Much nicer and no big questions.

"One thing I will be doing is putting old Hi8 tapes through my camcorder (via firewire) so I can convert them to DVD. I would assume I am best off transferring these to the 120GB as it is faster and larger."

You'll answer this soon enough since for each 2 hour home movie (which is best limited to 1 hour, your choice), I see my temp workspace to be about 20 to 30 GB. This question will sort itself out as you will soon realise.

"But should I move anything off my old slower 20GB HD; would my system performance increase by moving EVERYTHING over to the new drive?"

Your choice. But what I did.

"Oh, and how would I do any of this? "

I used Ghost 2002. But the drive may have come with software and instructions to do this move. Try that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Two Hard Drives, Now What?
by judyneric / December 1, 2003 10:29 PM PST

Thanks for the quick and helpful answers, Bob!

I will move everything over to the new drive, and then make it the Master. Is there a need to change anything in BIOS, or do I just switch the jumpers around and let the system boot up?

As far as transferring data, the new drive is a Western Digital and came with Data Lifeguard Tools, which should do the trick, I believe.

I will then use the old drive as my back-up drive. Is it okay to just leave the old drive in as a Slave, and back-up to that on occasion? Or is there a chance that if the system crashes, both drives could be obliterated?

And thanks for the tip about preferably limiting movie files to 1 hour.

Sorry to ask more questions on top of my questions! Much appreciated!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Two Hard Drives, Now What?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 10:55 PM PST

"I will move everything over to the new drive, and then make it the Master. Is there a need to change anything in BIOS, or do I just switch the jumpers around and let the system boot up?"

Too dependent on the machine in question. The last time I did this, the BIOS settings were on AUTO and not even a jumper was moved because 80 conductor IDE cables use the drives in CABLE SELECT mode.

"As far as transferring data, the new drive is a Western Digital and came with Data Lifeguard Tools, which should do the trick, I believe."

I've used that. Seems to work for most.

"I will then use the old drive as my back-up drive. Is it okay to just leave the old drive in as a Slave, and back-up to that on occasion? Or is there a chance that if the system crashes, both drives could be obliterated?"

I removed the drive for various reasons.
- The drive was smaller and slower and created too many questions about where to store files.
- I didn't want to upgrade the power supply or worry about cooling issues.
- Yes. Data on writeable devices is at risk during any disaster.

Bob

And thanks for the tip about preferably limiting movie files to 1 hour."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.