Phones forum

General discussion

Two cell phones sharing the same number

by gbuntyn / April 25, 2009 12:52 PM PDT

Is it possible to have one number on two cell phones?
Either both at the same time or one at a time?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two cell phones sharing the same number
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two cell phones sharing the same number
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sharing number
by Kees Bakker / April 25, 2009 8:32 PM PDT

For a GSM the number is burned into the SIM-card. And your provider won't make 2 SIM-cards with the same number. But you can use that same card in different phones at different times.

Collapse -
Possible in Europe
by LucJs / April 25, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

Depends on your operator. I have a phone built-in into my car, and another portable one. Both have a SIM card with the same number. Network routes call to the phone that last communicated with the network.

It's not ideal, you always have to switch-off one and then switch on the other one, if you want to make sure that the calls go where you want them.

Collapse -
phone in US
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 25, 2009 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible in Europe

Might be possible in Europe but not in the US. The billing systems simply will not allow two SIM #'s active for the same phone #. I also think that is considered illegal in the US (cloning).

Collapse -
that's too bad... :(
by pianoplayer88key / April 26, 2009 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: phone in US

... a while back I was looking into the possibility of getting one of the regional unlimited $30-50/mo or so plans for local area calling from a place like MetroPCS, Cricket, etc, while retaining my T-Mobile prepaid for roaming, but both having the same number so people I have given my number to in the past wouldn't need to be given a new one. Also I was wanting a data plan, because I'm getting tired of being restricted to T-Zones, ESPN, ABC and CNN for web browsing on my phone. I was thinking it would be nice to have it set up so that an incoming call would ring both phones simultaneously, and whichever one I answered would determine which account gets billed for the call. And, if I missed a call, either it would go to the voicemail of the phone last used on a successful call (or one I attempted to initiate), or I'd set it up so my voicemail all went on one account.

Oh well... one can dream, I guess Plain

Collapse -
Also check out Google Voice
by Pepe7 / April 27, 2009 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: that's too bad... :(
Collapse -
(NT) I too have the same dream...
by hiredan / November 30, 2010 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: that's too bad... :(
Collapse -
yes it is
by ellis feigenbaum / April 27, 2009 7:35 PM PDT

It is absolutely possible to do on a cdma network, however if you just walk in to your local verizon they will never let you and will tell you it is impossible.
What you need is a friendly local wireless shop and for a fee( very often in cash under the table- you never heard this here) they can programme the same number into both phones.
I have found this useful in the past when I had a hard wired car hand set, these days i dont find it so useful.

Collapse -
Verizon will spit such a scheme back out
by Pepe7 / April 28, 2009 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: yes it is

System audits on the current technologies eliminate such schemes. It won't work, certainly not more than very temporarily.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.