Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Two admin accounts

by tomron / August 19, 2007 1:15 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Two admin accounts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Two admin accounts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by Jackson Douglas / August 19, 2007 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Two admin accounts

There is a "hidden" admin account called Administrator that is there as a kind of failsafe. It's sort of the master account, the equivalent of root on *nix systems. Best to leave it be. If you want to delete the Compaq_Owner account you can, just make sure you know what the Administrator account password is before you do.

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / August 19, 2007 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: No
Collapse -
I suspect that it is the same account as the Tomron account.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 19, 2007 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

I don't know why Belarc calls it different, perhaps the way Compaq records it, but I doubt you want to delete that account.

What shows up if you reboot into Safe Mode? The hidden Administrator account should show up there, and perhaps you can see what else is displayed.

Or, better still, what happens if you use Windows Explorer to navigate to C:\Documents and Settings? All of the accounts should be displayed there.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by tomron / August 20, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

I probably created another administrator account and named it tomron and the other is probably is the default admin account.

I read it is better to have an additional admin account for security in case there's a problem.Since I have a second admin account should I create a limited account as well,if so do I have to always be forced to use a password and how about transferring from one account to the other.

I checked in windows explorer to no avail.No matter what I click on I don't see anything.I have thew home version,don't know if that makes a difference.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/333/accountsap4.jpg

Collapse -
I forgot
by tomron / August 20, 2007 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark

In safe mode it says.

1)ADMINISTRATOR
administrator

2)TOMRON
adminustrator

Collapse -
FYI,
by Cursorcowboy / August 19, 2007 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: OK

at the command prompt, which you can get there by typing cmd on the "RUN" line and then pressing ENTER, type Lusrmgr.msc and then press ENTER -- shows your accounts on a pop up screen.

Collapse -
For Your Information
by Darton Fury / August 20, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI,

If you're running XP Pro you can simply enter lusrmgr.msc in the run dialog box.

Collapse -
Cursorcowboy
by tomron / August 20, 2007 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI,
Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2007 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Cursorcowboy

Your Windows Explorer shows Compaq_User but Safe Mode shows Tomron. I wonder why.

Just as a check Tom, can you right click your My Computer icon on your Desktop. If you don't have one there, try on the Start menu, then click Properties. Does it say "Registered to:", then your name?

I don't pretend to know why there is this difference.

As to your other point about a 2nd Admin account and a limited User account; I also have a 2nd Admin account, and so I have 2 self-made Admin accounts, plus the hidden Administrator account. 3 Admin accounts in all. That may be overkill.

For security reasons it is said that we should only use a limited User account, one where we cannot install anything. That way, whilst surfing the internet, or opening emails, etc, viruses and spyware cannot install themselves. However, I must admit that I don't use a limited account. I still use my main Admin account. Neither do I use passwords. People will say that is risky, and I can't argue with that. But it is personal choice.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by tomron / August 20, 2007 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.
Collapse -
Also
by tomron / August 20, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

I guess it came with two admin accounts,

1)ADMINISTRATOR
2)Compaq_User

Cause theres no way I would have named it Compaq_User,so I changed the name to tomron.

Collapse -
And that is why it shows up differently...
by Edward ODaniel / August 20, 2007 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Also
Cause theres no way I would have named it Compaq_User,so I changed the name to tomron.

If you just rename an account it still used the same user account info in Documents and settings\[username]. Essentially all you did was change the display name. The SID is retained and contains all the information on the account such as its description, password, group memberships, user environment profile, account information, and any assigned permissions and rights.

You could make use of the info on the following link to COPY an existing account to another new account with a different name.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sysdm_userprofile_copy.mspx?mfr=true
Collapse -
Sounds good,but
by tomron / August 20, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

would you know why no accounts are listed in explore.

Collapse -
I think Explorer does show all the accounts
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 20, 2007 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds good,but

It shows "Administrator", (standard), "All Users", (standard), "Default User", (standard), and "Compaq_Owner", which is your Tomron account.

I reckon Edward's Microsoft link explains why it is listed in certain places as Compaq_Owner, and in others as Tomron. I would be hesitant to try and change the name through the registry unless anyone knows exactly where to go and that it is a foolproof method, otherwise your account, (theTomron/Compaq_Owner account you use all the time), could become corrupt. Better to use Edward's link to make a copy, ensure that the copy account works exactly as the original, then delete the original, if that is what you want to do.

As an aside, I have another Microsoft link to enable you to insert your name in the Registered to field of System Properties. Again it is a registry change but it seems less likely to cause any problems. The link is here;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310441

But the usual safety measures should be taken, eg create a System Restore point first, (this copies the registry).

Mark

Collapse -
You may find this interesting
by tomron / August 20, 2007 7:00 PM PDT

When I click on a administrator,and only administrator there is an image.It is an image of a piece of film on which you can see the outline.Of course the screenshot doesn't do it justice since the light and the angle one is viewing has to be just right.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3598/adminta9.jpg

Collapse -
Tom
by PudgyOne / August 21, 2007 12:16 AM PDT

I have XP Home, also.

A while back I went to the control panel, user accounts and changed the name of the one account. It shows up on the login screen correctly nut the folders still have the old name on them.

The way to fix this would be to create a new account and transfer the files from the old account to the new account. After you're satisified that all the information is there and not lost, then you can safely delete the account.

Rick

Collapse -
As far as I remember ...
by Kees Bakker / August 21, 2007 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom

you can't delete the 'owner' account. It's created by Windows XP setup and has some special status. The Microsoft default is Owner (unless you specify another), but apparently Compaq choose to name it Compaq-owner (ugly!). All you can do is to rename it, but - as pointed out above - the folder name in Documents and Settings stays what it is. And - apparently - Belarc uses the original name also.

I hope for Tom that I remember it wrong. Than he can create a Tom-account, transfer his data (and that's more than the contents of his My Documents folder) and delete the compaq-owner folder. It would be interesting to read if this works.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Thanx people,this was very informative
by tomron / August 21, 2007 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Two admin accounts
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.