The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Twitter Bacn: Twitter is not a "life aggregator"

by jthrock / January 23, 2008 5:08 AM PST

I love the fact that I have my new Buzztown friends on Twitter. Seriously it's great.

However, I feel some people simply flood my timeline with b.s. auto-aggregated stuff.. I know I'm guilty of using the Wordpress plugin to hit-up my twitter whenever I make a new post. But this is typically at most once a day. (it seems to be broke at the moment though)

I don't know about you all, but I don't follow thousands of people nor do I ever want to follow that many people. I like to see the "conversation" of what's happening, especially since most of the people I follow also each other. But it's annoying when I have to go to page two see tweets from more than the one or two people that have dominated my timeline for the last few hours...

One thing that could easily fix this might be to have a way of filtering auto-posted type tweets so that I can have a user-generated only view, or an all-tweet view.

I guess one of the biggest things is I feel like with all the auto-posting stuff that I loose the sense of community I feel with my fellow twitters (being like 99.999999% of Buzztown residents). I'm sure Tom, Molly, and Jason feel this in some capacity since they have so many followers and are so popular that it can easily be overwhelming and I'm sure it begins to feel like a job.

Shesh, I'm spewing text like the fat-kid who got his revenge on the pie eating contest in "Stand by me" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STB4s7Qhf40

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Twitter Bacn: Twitter is not a "life aggregator"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Twitter Bacn: Twitter is not a "life aggregator"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I agree
by alex_smurf / January 23, 2008 5:15 AM PST

It's annoying that you have to view page after page to just get some other peoples tweets. I myself am also guilty of doing this (pownce posts to twitter (trying to switch it of but don't know how any tips?))
But the great thing about twitter is that you have that friendly buzz community feeling Wink

Collapse -
it became too much
by filmn / January 23, 2008 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

It became too much for me, in the end (along with other reasons) I deleted my account.

Same with the fact that due to my identity being stolen I've had to clean up on my online life, so apart from my personal site the only social network I will be using in Linkedin, with the privacy features turned on.

Collapse -
Peter has uploaded a Photo
by fulltimecasual / January 23, 2008 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: it became too much

i cant stand the auto-feed stuff either. generally, if you reply to someone "dude, switch that frakkin flickr updater off" then usually will.

if pain persists, unfollow them.

Collapse -
This takes the cake...
by fulltimecasual / January 28, 2008 7:13 PM PST

just saw a tweet that was an auto-update from someones blog. the blog post was the auto-update of that persons tweets for the day...

Seriously people, the madness ends here!

i just snapped and unfollowed about 30 people... Happy

Collapse -
Yeah, but
by navsimpson / January 28, 2008 9:55 PM PST

Last week I twittered a link to a post I had just put up on my blog. Someone who has an influential media blog picked it up and subsequently, so did a blog on USA Today. By the end of it, that story got 4000 hits which, for a little blog like mine, is a big deal. So while I also get annoyed by endless streams of tweets, there's an upside for people who occasionally post things to twitter as well.

-Nav

Collapse -
I think blog post tweets are just fine!
by jthrock / January 28, 2008 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah, but

I'm fine with blog posts, I had mine doing that until it broke recently. I mean, the "average" person only blogs about once a day.

I'm just not all about the post on pownce and twitter kinda thing.
Also, the people doing Mahalo follow and posting 30 or so links a day is annoying. Especially when its like:
"Wow this is really cool http://tinyurl.com/2eu9823f298u2"
Awesome, I have no idea where that link goes, it looks as if is something some bot would send out if it ever hijacked someone's account.

Collapse -
I will admit
by ssravp / January 30, 2008 2:35 AM PST

to being one of those Mahalo Follow people. I will say that it could be a lot worse. I have submitted 360+ links to Mahalo, and I would estimate that more than 2/3 of those I don't post to my social networks for the exact reason you mentioned. I don't post the random links to my social networks. I try to keep it to news stories and such that I think people will find interesting. If you don't want to see a lot of links coming from me and you are on one of my friends lists I won't be offended if you unfriend/unfollow as long as you at least have enough courtesy to say "hey back off, or I'm gone". Just my opinion. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.