Samsung forum

General discussion

TV won't turn on

by wild4trout / November 22, 2008 4:21 AM PST

I have the Samsung FP-T5084 50" Plasma tv. I went to turn it on the other day, and it wouldn't turn on. No clicking. No red power indicator light. Nothing. It was plugged into a power strip with other components, and they all work fine. I unplugged it for a while and then plugged it into a different outlet on the power bar, but it still won't turn on.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power Cord
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 22, 2008 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: TV won't turn on

Is the power cord firmly inserted in the back of the television?

Have you tried different plugs in the power strip?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Power Cord
by wild4trout / November 22, 2008 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Power Cord

Yes, I disonnected, and reconnected the power cord in the back of the TV. I also removed the plug from the outlet it was in, and plugged it into the other outlets on the power strip that are working for the other components. But the TV still won't turn on.

Collapse -
Power Supply
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 23, 2008 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Power Cord

It sounds like it may be your power supply.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Power Supply
by wild4trout / November 23, 2008 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Power Supply

Ouch. Hopefully that can be fixed. I'm glad it's still under warranty. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Me too
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 23, 2008 8:17 PM PST

Please keep me posted. If you'd like the direct number for our service, it is 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I'M JUST SICK OF THIS SAMSUNG TV!
by joncole818 / February 3, 2009 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: Me too

So I left the power cord in and the power light kept clicking back and forth until after about 5 minutes, it turned on.

So i leave the TV on overnight. I finaly got the tech to come back out. He comes out, turns it off and on over and over and the tv WORKS PERFECTLY.

This morning, ITS HAPPENING ALL OVER AGAIN. THE NEXT DAY. This time, the power light lights up and clicks sporadicaly. The light never does that blinking thing before the TV turns on. It just goes solid one click, and off the next click. I'VE NEVER PHYSICALLY TOUCHED THE TV SINCE THE REPAIR GUY. I used the remote power button this morning.

I'M SO SICK OF IT!. I've totaly lost my faith in Samsung!

POS - LNT4042H!

Collapse -
TOYOTA AND SAMSUNG
by SURVEYO / February 16, 2010 2:52 AM PST

OK have you notice this trend especialy with all the samsung tv,please forgive me but i dont mean to offend anyone but samsung reminds me of toyota i think that the company needs to reconsider going into something other than making tv and electrical products if samsung made the tv and cant firure out the problem then i think it would be wise for consumer not to buy any samsung products.

Collapse -
Samsung simply doesnt' give a crap
by tortoise40 / March 3, 2010 12:22 AM PST

Had same problem with my Samsung LN46A650. Wouldn't turn on 18 months after I gave them $1900. That's about $105/month for a television.
Samsung didn't care, despite the fact that it's happening to a lot of people, so I joined this class-action lawsuit because I have no other recourse.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact...amsung-lcd.htm

Collapse -
ARRGGHH
by nosoup4samsung / May 21, 2010 11:24 AM PDT

My PN58A650T1F just died as well 18 months after purchase! 3000 dollars only gets me 18 months worth of TV? That's pathetic. Unfortunately I have TOC Blu Ray player and Samsung suround sound system as well. I promise I won't own another Samsung electronic....

Collapse -
Samsung lawsuit
by KGronka / June 3, 2010 12:26 PM PDT

I have the same problem and wanted to take part in the lawsuit, but when I clicked the link it was a dead end....any other links that work?

thanks!

Collapse -
can i get some info
by samholland / October 7, 2010 9:38 PM PDT

hello can i get some info on that lawsuit if its still available i have a tv and its doing the samething at about the same time i see that this was posted in march so i hope i can be involded or at least get my tv fixed

Collapse -
This suit will not fix your TV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: can i get some info

If you want it fixed you get it fixed. Feeding the lawyers and going after the wrong company or not all of them is a shame. Read above and why isn't the maker of the capacitors in the suit?

The fix is very cheap if you do your own work.
Bob

Collapse -
same problem
by tunadigger / May 19, 2011 7:31 AM PDT

hay can you tell me how you fixed your problem i have the same problem. it would sure help me out.

Collapse -
Power Supply?
by dkn5 / January 29, 2009 5:49 AM PST

Hi, I have the same TV with the identical problem. Just happened this morning. Do you have an update as to what your problem turned out to be or the solution??

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Power Supply?
by wild4trout / January 29, 2009 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: Power Supply?

Yes. It was the Power Supply (inside the TV). Took 4 weeks for Samsung to get someone here (Samsung kept switching the repair company), and about 20 minutes for the guy to fix it. Best of luck!

Collapse -
Re: Power Supply
by dkn5 / February 27, 2009 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Power Supply?

Turned out my issue was the same as yours - power supply module. Quick swap over and it works great again. Only problem was it took 5 weeks to get the part into my house for the 20 min fix.

Collapse -
Power Supply
by jwaldchen / March 9, 2010 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Power Supply

I just bought a PN50B860 3 months ago and this past Saturday it went completely black. TV will still "turn on" by making it's initial chime but will not "click", LED power light will not come on, and no OSD/input will display. IMMEDIATELY, I hopped on Samsung's site and submitted a service ticket. Got a call from a local Greenville, SC repair center this morning and they are coming out Thursday. I hope it's a bad PSU or something simple to fix. Haven't bought a new TV in 10 years. Spent $200 on a 27" CRT that still works today...spent $2000 on a new TV that craps out after 3 months. I hope Samsung stands behind their products and gets this fixed quickly.

Collapse -
Same TV, Same Problem!
by AJ_Harnak / February 15, 2010 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Power Supply?

Hey there - wild4trout -

I'm wondering if you had a similar problem to me - it seems like this thread was hijacked and everyone's talking about a clicking noise and the power light blinking, but I noticed that you didn't mention either of these. I'm having a similar problem to you, I have the Samsung 50" FP-T5084, and it just stopped turning on. A few days ago we noticed that the shut-down noise had stopped, but we ignored it. Last night, the TV just shut off and would not turn back on. I don't have a clicking noise, I don't have the red light, etc. Are these the symptoms you experienced? I'm noticing two parallel issues with Samsung HDTV's not turning on, and since my TV doesn't even have enough juice to make the light blink, I'm assuming its power supply is shot.

You said you did replace your power supply; do you mind me asking where you ordered it from? I'm anxious to get the nicest TV in the house back in working order...

Thanks!

A.J.

Collapse -
Same Here......
by omatthew1 / March 2, 2010 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Same TV, Same Problem!

Sounds like Samsung should work on this issue. My wife was watching TV last night on this same model and this identical thing happened. She said she heard a crackle sound and then nothing. TV is DEAD.....will not turn on....not even the red power light. I have been reading today and it seems like some people have to switch out the entire power board, while others just had to replace a fuse. I am amazed that SO MANY people have had issues with their TVs just dying like this.

I also can't remember if we got the TV from Circuit City or Best Buy and whether or not we got a "performance plan." I guess we should just have a technician come out. The TV is no longer under the manufacturer's warranty....we have had the TV over 2 years.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Me too. Replaced capacitors.
by tortoise40 / March 2, 2010 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Same Here......

Love this thread.
The Samsung customers here are actually solving the problem themselves and the Samsung HD Tech just posts, "Sorry to hear that," "You may need to call service," and "Keep me posted!"

Anyway, my 42" LCD crapped out with the clicking noise about a month ago and I replaced the faulty capacitors that shipped with the unit, despite never having used a soldering iron in my life. Unfortunately it died again this morning. No clicking, just dead. Guess I'll be cracking it open again to see if I can fix what Samsung won't.

The capacitor fix that's been succesdful for many is described in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm51C_RDIZE

and elsewhere in this thread.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Ditto
by sadenoir / April 17, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

Same model #, same problem happened two days ago. This is ridiculous!

Collapse -
Got mine from best buy!
by VNSProductions / May 9, 2010 12:21 AM PDT

I have the exact same issue. I called best buy today to see if my service plan was still valid. I got the TV 1 1/2 years ago and I got the 3 year and I have to say I am relieved. They are sending a tech out tommorrow to fix it and they are having him bring a new TV (upgrade) incase it is toast. I love that place!

Collapse -
Might not be power supply
by samsuck93 / July 15, 2010 7:43 AM PDT

My Samsung (along with thousands of other people) started doing the same thing....won't turn on.
I swapped my power supply out and there was no change. I checked my wall outlet and tried different power strips.
I also bought a LED monitor from Samsung that had the same problem and THEY couldn't even figure out how to fix it!
My advice to EVERYONE on this site that has problems with their Samsung products is Google class action lawsuits against Samsung and let's get our money back so that we can buy products that last longer than two years!

Collapse -
Samsung 50" F-PT5084 turned off and would not turn on
by natsuye / September 12, 2010 6:27 AM PDT

Purchased the 50" Samsung plasma Model FP-T5084 in 2007, just past the warranty and on the first Sunday of football season, tv powered off on own and would not turn back on. Looking online seems like this is a very common problem although when I called Samsung, they said it was not. They referred me to a service center saying that I would be contacted in 2 days for a technician. Needless to say, football Sunday can not wait. I called a local repair tech, he came out and resolved the problem for $150- a blown fuse- said I was lucky. I am sure the Samsung repair tech would have charged more and made me wait longer. Regardless after less than 3 years (conveniently right after warranty expired) the tv should not have issues. I have a Panasonic and a Sony which are older and have not had any issues to date. Go with a local repair person and ask them to check the fuse first.

Collapse -
fuse
by kidstocks59 / May 18, 2011 3:07 PM PDT

good luck, it's more of a problem than just a fuse.....it will blow again...I changed mine several times and now the power light just flashes and the tv doesn't go on....SAMSUNG SUCKS! I got taken on this POS and will not buy another samsung product...$1700 and only got about a year and 1/2.....the new 50" tv's are selling for $700 now....not even worth fixing this DOG!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Update
by kidstocks59 / May 19, 2011 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: fuse

After reading and watching some youtube video, I decided to give the capacitor thing a whirl...I won't pay any service tech to get screwed....bought the capacitors at digikey,com got the 105c with 2200uf at 25v...the originals were 10v...was told it's good to up the volts

Collapse -
Update
by kidstocks59 / May 21, 2011 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

Changed 4 capacitors from 10v 2200uf to 25v 2200uf and it works fine. very easy

bought from digikey.com

Collapse -
Wish I had check this site before buying Samsung 50" Plasma
by OHSPANMAN / December 17, 2011 11:01 AM PST

Well hind sight is always better than no sight. I wished I had posted the question about the Samsung 50" Plasma. FPt5084. Great picture for a year and then it blew a fuse so I replaced the fuse and it ran for another 8 months, right after warranty ran out and now it doesn't turn on and the power light blinks. So I am ordering the new CAPS tonight. I removed the board and found 4 caps domed out. Also found one over on another board off to the left facing the back of the tv. Only one there and it is lightly domed. But its not on the power board so will do them first.

Thanks all for your venting and TECH SUPPORT is a poor choice of words. Samsung should have stepped up to the plate two years ago when this first started to show up and then have the same issue with 2010 models is plain greet at the corperate level. No wonder we have OCUPPIERS all over. VENT VENT VENT.

Collapse -
Samsung Plasma died
by Hpetty / October 22, 2014 2:05 AM PDT

We've already replaced the power board because the capacitors looked fine, no bulging, nothing. Could they be dead and look totally fine? Nothing looks burned out. We've changed the cord, the plug, the power board, still nothing. No power at all. Just like some others, ours just went off one night and never came back on. Brand new. Bought it in January.

Collapse -
For Hpetty
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2014 8:47 AM PDT

Note: Due to the depth of this discussion thread, no additional replies can be accepted for this post. If you have comments to make, please reply to the original post at the beginning of this thread.

Also, this thread is more than 2160 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so.

Burying what looks like a plea for help where it can't be replied to in a very old post is well, it's like the plans in the display department in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.