TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

TV with no Audio output

by hensamhall / November 28, 2011 12:29 PM PST

We recently pruchased a Samsung TV(model UN40D5005BF). This tv has no audio output only 2 HDMI in ports. Is there a way to hook up the tv audio to our surround sound through a receiver? We have cable but no cable box. We also have a dvd player and Wii.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV with no Audio output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV with no Audio output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes there is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2011 12:46 PM PST
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/led-tv/UN40D5005BF and on page 159 of the slim manual writes:

"You can listen through a receiver (i.e Home Theater) instead of the TV speaker.
1. Select Receiver and set to On.
2. Press the EXIT button to exit.
NN If your receiver supports audio only, it may not appear in the device list.
NN The receiver will work when you have properly connected the optical in
jack of the receiver to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack of the TV.
NN When the receiver (i.e Home Theater) is set to On, you can hear sound
output from the TV's Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV (air)
signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the receiver. When the
source is a digital component such as a DVD and it is connected to the
TV via HDMI, you will hear only 2 channel sound from the receiver."

Yes there is audio output on this model.
Bob
Collapse -
Peculiar
by sunwatcher / November 29, 2011 11:38 AM PST

I was just looking at the Samsung page that Bob posted, and it appears to have been updated as I was reading it. Previous manual was linked to here, is now linked to a different manual dated Nov 29.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201111/20111130101556560/[UD5005-ZA]BN68-03777A-02Eng-0622.pdf

The latter manual is completely different, and shows only inputs; no digital audio out shown.

If you are watching cable TV with no cable box, then you are very likely receiving just an analog signal. You can route the cable to a VCR with RCA audio out or to a demodulator, then connect the audio out to your surround sound system.

Collapse -
In Addition...
by sunwatcher / November 29, 2011 11:43 AM PST

You would need to connect the DVD and Wii to the surround sound system separately.

The more expensive solution would be to purchase a new A/V receiver with HDMI inputs.

Collapse -
Samsung TV Model # UN32EH4003FXZA
by RobertLWalker / March 4, 2013 10:53 AM PST

I also (regrettably) purchased a 32" Samsung Flat Screen LED TV (Model # UN32EH4003FXZA) that has no audio output. By the way, this was my first flat screen TV purchase, so I didn't pay attention to what I was purchasing. I didn't set up the TV until recently (sat in the box for several months), and when I turned it on for the first time, I couldn't believe how lousy the speakers sounded. So, a friend suggested that I purchase a soundbar to help enhance the sound. Well, it's a good thing that I haven't purchased one yet, because Samsung's customer service confirmed a moment ago that this particular model doesn't include audio output. I was very disappointed to hear that. Is there anything I can do at this point? Thanks for your assistance. Rob

Collapse -
Nope
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Always research your purchases to your particular tastes/needs, and test them out during the return/warranty period. There's nothing you can do if there's no audio outputs unfortunately.

Collapse -
TV with no audio out
by booby100 / February 1, 2014 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: Nope

Well stated Pepe7...by someone who needs more imagination and creativity. It is always easier to find fault in others thinking and actions, rather then take the time to have empathy and find solutions. There are many options, Tivo being one possibly.

Collapse -
Corrrection- are you certain this is your model?
by Pepe7 / March 5, 2013 12:07 AM PST

From what I see online at least, there seems to be a digital optical output. You may not have spotted it though. The Best Buy site indicates this as well. See the following Samsung support page-

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN32EH4003FXZA#content3#

The PDF of the product on the Dell site shows it has digital optical out as well-
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=a6351207

If your audio system doesn't accommodate digital audio input, you can always try a digital optical to RCA converter of some type.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.