TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV with built-in DVR??

by ahigs / January 4, 2007 12:19 AM PST

Has anyone heard of such a product?

I've found that LG makes a 42-inch LCD and 50-inch plasma with a built-in DVR -- but I'd prefer something in the 34-37 inch range.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV with built-in DVR??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV with built-in DVR??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Heard of it? Who wants it?
by NM_Bill / January 4, 2007 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: TV with built-in DVR??

General recommendation - avoid it. A convenience of compactness - yes. Combos have been around for years, like TVs with VCR, etc. When part breaks, then you're let feeling youhave a piece of crap sitting there, & more often than not, are motivated to replace the whole works.

TVs generally should last longer than recorders. Stay separate.

Collapse -
lg are the only ones who have it right now
by masterying01 / January 4, 2007 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: TV with built-in DVR??

but as the previous poster stated...stay away.

1.) cannot record onto dvr via component or hdmi inputs. will only work with svideo, rca, and coax
2.) only 2 ways to record using an antenna and recording OTA HD, or hook up a cable card to it (which gets rid of ondemand and onscreen guides). satellite users are out of luck.
3.) there are soooooooo many better dvr's out on the market right now. if you dont like wires can easily buy a few ir blasters and hide the box somewhere while still being able to control it.

Collapse -
Why I Want It
by ahigs / January 4, 2007 6:04 AM PST

1) Don't plan on recording onto DVR via component. I'm not even sure what that means, making that limitation a non-issue.

2) Don't have or plan on getting HD satellite or even cable, on-demand or otherwise. I have antenna and only want antenna -- so that limitation is a non-issue.

3) Don't need no fancy schmancy electronics, multiple boxes etc.

I really only want to watch TV (network, broadcast TV) how I want and when I want. For the last 12 years I have had a 19-inch TV/VCR combo. Yes, I still "tape" shows on the old-fashioned VHS when I'm not home to watch. No problem with components malfunctioning independently, and rendering the rest of the set unworkable. No, I've gotten along fine with the low-tech combo so far and was hoping to be able to upgrade modestly and conveniently.

In all honesty, my desire to upgrade has nothing to do with the quality of my current TV/VCR -- it's just a little small at 19 inches. But I can't upgrade the TV without losing the recording capability since it's a combo. (OK, so that's the 1st drawback to the combo I've had in 12 years.)

I can't believe I'm the only one on the planet with low-tech needs and ambitions -- hence, I can't believe that some manufacturer hasn't provided a solution.

Now I'm just venting . . .

Thanks for the responses.

Collapse -
Not a tech thing
by NM_Bill / January 4, 2007 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Why I Want It

I'm just amazed you are one of the few people who have ever gotten 12 years out of TV/VCR combo. Chalk it up to luck. If you want a combo...

Chances are the recorder will go before the TV. Why not your choice of TV & recorder individually? Anyway, the new recorder will make the VCR recordings look nearly intolerable in comparison.

Collapse -
by masterying01 / January 4, 2007 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Why I Want It

the reason why i was putting such a big emphasis on HD programming was because any tv that big will be HD...and regular sd would look horrrible for the most part.

i have a 20 year old hitachi vcr that i am still using for my 21 year old 13" sony crt tube (both of which i got from hong kong).....and they are both still working very well for me. so if you dont like new technology, there is definitely no need to change.

basically, its your decision....either go with an HD tv now or wait a few years and then get one. if you dont want to get into hd now, u can pick up a nice standard definition tube tv for not too much money. get rid of your vcr, and switch to a panasonic dvd recorder (or any brand that records in dvd-ram). ram will let you schedule recordings, seperate them by chapter, and delete partial things...and the video quality is a lot better then vhs. this will make things 1039540139 times more convenient for you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.