TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV remote control sensor

by Tony Jagmohan / August 15, 2005 3:05 AM PDT

My tv does not respond to the remote control signals for power, channel nor volume. I have tried several remote controls and the all work intermittently. I have even tried changing the batteries on the remote controls. I have a 51 inch wide screen Toshiba TV. I have taken off the screen and there are 4 devises on the inside of the 4 sides of the screen. I though there was only 1 sensor. Are these sensors or is the sensor behind the screen?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV remote control sensor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV remote control sensor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
might not be a solution but...
by grimgraphix / August 15, 2005 3:03 PM PDT

When I sold big screeen tv's a few years ago we experienced an interesting phenomena with some models...the red neon lights in the show room interfered with the infra red beam of the remote causing it to not work at certain angles so if you have changed lighting recently then this could be an issue.

to double check the remotes ...if you have a cam corder or a digital camera... the ccd sensor behind the lense can "see" the beam from the remote and will display it on the lcd display screen...using this method you can check all the buttons on the remote if you suspect one or two high use buttons have gone bad.

Finally, be careful about messing with the sensors behind the screen...I have seen repair people dislodge them from their mountings when replacing the screen causing an apparent "failure" of the sensor when in reality it just got knocked loose. Also, I hope you or anyone out there unplugs the tv before opening it and also remember that the capacitors can still hold a charge that can electricute despite the power being disconnected!

Collapse -
Audiovox FP 1500 t.v. remote sensor
by bobbeach / November 5, 2007 1:35 AM PST

I have a 5 yr old Audiovox Model FP1500 T.V. that does not work
with the remote, changed batteries, bought a universal reomte that
works on every other t.v. in my house but not on the Audiovox, called
the company & was told I need a remote sensor ( part # cs336p021 ) which they do not sell, got any ideas where I can buy one? its a
small board about 2 inches long X 1/2 inch wide with 5 wires, 3 gree &
2 white going into a connector. can you help me to find this part as I
dont want to through a good T.V. away....but can't get up every minute
to change channels Thanks, Bob

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.