Samsung forum

General discussion

TV Remote app (iPhone) is not working

by greppz / March 8, 2011 12:15 PM PST

Today I downloaded the Remote app from the App Store. The app is able to discover the TV. The TV prompts for allowing the iPhone to control the TV. Next, the TV appears on the app. When I tap on the TV entry, the remote control interface appears for about a second and then consistently this error message appears: "Disconnected.. Network Connection Failure..." with a Retry button. The Retry results in the same thing.

My setup:

The TV is connected to the WiFi router via an ethernet cable.
iPhone is hooked to the same router's WiFi.

Help!!! The hardware remote control is a real pain in the *** to use with Internet@Apps. It took me about 15 minutes to type my Pandora password. To add salt to the wound, I discovered that the last letter of my password (symbol Wink is not available on the onscreen keyboard. Urggg!

I desperately need Remote control app to work

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Remote app (iPhone) is not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Remote app (iPhone) is not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same issue - only started happening with iOS 4.3
by fixwhatsbroke / March 10, 2011 4:00 AM PST

Grrr. One of the handiest apps out there, too.

App = "TV Remote" by Samsung
TV = Samsung UN55C6900

Collapse -
Forgot to mention my devices
by fixwhatsbroke / March 13, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

iPhone 4 and iPad (1st gen)

Collapse -
by greppz / March 10, 2011 10:41 AM PST

Dear Samsung... please say something!

Collapse -
TV Remote app (iPhone) is not working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 11, 2011 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: Hello?

I don't have any information on the iPhone Apps, and I can't offer support on them.

I'll see what I can find out after the weekend. I've seen other people note that they can use it, but I don't know which models the App(s) are designed for.

Collapse -
Same problem
by wpfigueiredo / March 11, 2011 10:59 PM PST

iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3)
"TV Remote" by Samsung
TV: UN40C6900

"Network Connection Failure"

Collapse -
The hardware remote is simply useless for Internet@TV
by greppz / March 13, 2011 1:32 AM PST

Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

Just wanted to note that the regular remote is simply unusable if one wants make serious use of Internet@TV apps.

Please fix the app ASAP or else I will have to get Logitech Revue or someting

Collapse -
Dont work on ue40c7700
by nid_dotmac / March 22, 2011 6:21 AM PDT

Can see my new Samsung UE40C7700 in app on the iPhone 3gs iOS 4.3 (8F190) but after a few seconds before I can do anything it says "Disconnected Network Connection Failure .. .." on my iPhone

Pleas help!

Collapse -
Tv remote app connwction error
by Bustabeast / March 11, 2011 5:17 PM PST

Same goes for me since latest OS update for my iPhone 3gs! I can see my tv UE46C6700 but get a connection error as soon as I try to connect.

Collapse -
Same here.
by viannucci / March 12, 2011 12:37 AM PST

Hope someone is working on an app update.

Collapse -
Same Thing
by AdamElmquist / March 12, 2011 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Same here.

I had a great connection before the iOS update 4.2.1 but now with iOS 4.3 when I connect to my TV I get a disconnected 5 seconds afterward.

Collapse -
Samsung TV APP - Fails on iPhone 4.3
by gavingks / March 12, 2011 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: Same Thing

Great shame and hope it is fixed quickly. The Samsung APP was fantastic snd better than the real remote
Ah just rembered i have my old 3G, I'll use that for now

Collapse -
same problem
by miksem / March 13, 2011 6:16 AM PDT

same problem as soon as upgraded my iphone4 to 4.3 and Samy remote is not working anymore- "network connection failure"

Collapse -
same problem -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 13, 2011 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

I have sent this information up to our engineers over the weekend. If the limitation is due to new security measures employed by the iPhone's update, it may be an issue that these additional limitations may lock out the option to use the remote. If that's the case, it can go one of two ways:

1. An update is possible and may be made available. I can't promise that at this point, particularly since I just sent this up and I don't have any further information at this time.
2. The limitation may lock out other applications with technology that Samsung may not licensed to use or, by law, allowed to circumvent; particularly if this is an update by Apple that restricts certain applications or features from being used.

In the past, some DRM updates locked out features. Again, at this point I have no way of knowing if that's the case here, but if it is, it would require Apple getting involved to help or allow these feature sets.

It's not likely that I'll have a quick answer, but when one does become available, I'll be happy to post it in the forums.

Collapse -
Two to tango
by fixwhatsbroke / March 13, 2011 11:58 PM PDT

Yeah, it occurred to me that either Apple security or Apple competitiveness might be part of it. Looking forward to hearing from you if
1) it's just new security that needs to be implemented in the Samsung App, or
2) it's Apple charging third parties a toll for use of that function (in which case I'll still pay - pass the cost on - very handy app) ... or
3) it's Apple completely blocking all use of the function to provide its own solution.

Hope it's just 1, looking forward to it being patched if so and further looking forward to refinements in the interface (such as function customization by the user)

Collapse -
iOS 4.3
by C8000 / March 14, 2011 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Two to tango

Same here. The app no longer works with iOS 4.3. I called and talked to a "samsung app tech support guy" yesterday and he said I should call apple. It seems that the app developer would fix the app not apple.

iPad wifi only

Collapse -
Does this app support guy live under a rock, I wonder!
by greppz / March 15, 2011 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: iOS 4.3

When the underlying OS changes, occasionally apps have to update. If Samsung is not prepared for that, better stop developing apps!

The support guy knows that Apple is not going to change their OS to make this app work. Yet they ask the customer to call Apple. Isn't this like kicking the the customer around like a football? Almost any response would have been better than call Apple.

Collapse -
iOS 4.3
by C8000 / March 15, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

Netflix already issued an update for 4.3. I new better than to call, previous calls about issues were always unproductive. I was hoping that the CNET forum would be staffed with more knowledgeable techs that actually care about customer satisfaction.

Collapse -
Does this app support guy live under a rock, I wonder!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 15, 2011 10:01 AM PDT

I'm not convinced that no answer would've been better. People tend the least like a response, even if it's not the one they wanted.

While I'm certainly happy to escalate an issue to our developers (which I have done), I have stated that I don't know status of an app update, and I was straightforward about it. As rounded as I am on over 11 different product categories, I don't claim to know everything, nor do I have access to every possible answer for every question someone might have posted. I've requested an update. That's what I can do at this point. Until I hear back, I don't know the answer either.

I care very much about customer satisfaction, and that's evidenced by the number of people I've assisted with service issues and helping people get the issue resolved. I just don't have every answer, guys. Sorry.

Collapse -
My last post was not about you
by greppz / March 16, 2011 6:34 AM PDT

Just to clarify, I really like you. No complaints against you whatsoever.

I was referring to the app support guy (...I called and talked to a "samsung app tech support guy"..) that user C8000 (3/15 post) talked to.

sorry if my response bugged you.

Collapse -
My last post was not about you
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2011 7:05 AM PDT

Oh, I see. I was wondering about that. Heh.

Well, I like the fact that people are expressing their wants. The call center has a good bunch of people, but they might not be aware of this App. In fact, I learned about the iPhone App here on the forums only a few months ago, which means it was probably released by someone in the Korea HQ, and not Samsung US. So I was in the dark myself, admittedly. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if the call center doesn't have an update or any information. I know it 'exists' and "worked" until the update, but at this point, that's about ALL I know.

I'm trying to bring some attention to this unit specifically for the US (and subsequently other!) markets based on the popularity in these forums. There's no doubt that there are a lot of iPhone owners who would get a value from having this App. I'd love to see it happen, and remain supported. But I don't have any indication either way yet.

Not bugged at all. Just wanted to clarify since I thought it was directed at one of my above posts, and my assumption was wrong. I hope that adds a little more light to the topic.

Collapse -
App store
by C8000 / March 16, 2011 9:00 AM PDT

I checked the reviews for the samsung remote app on the app store and it appears the reviews everyone see's first are the "most helpful" reviews. If you sort my "most recent" you find page after page of reviews starting Mar 9th of users asking that the app be updated for iOS 4.3. If people downloading the app for the first time don't sort by most recent, they may not know why the app doesn't work.

Collapse -
App store
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: App store

That's helpful. I'll check it out and take some screenshots.

Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Hoping fo a quick fix
by nc30rider / March 16, 2011 4:44 PM PDT

Like C8000 said you can see all the reviews saying it no longer works if you sort them by 'most recent'
This app needs a fix, it is part of the @InternetTV experience. Trying to type with the remote control keypad is a nightmare. So much easier to type using your iPhone keyboard!!
Like I said it is a feature of the TV Menu system, so integral to the TV. It is also used worldwide (I am in the U.K.) Therefore needs some attention.

Hoping for a quick fix,

Collapse -
Got 2 Iphones and
by capolton / March 16, 2011 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Hoping fo a quick fix

Hi all

Just to confirma if iy has not been yet:
I have a 3G in IOS4.2 the App still working
I have an Iphone 4 in 4.3, the app is doing the network failure problem
TV model is UE55C8700 and or course i have tried to remove and add again the wireless remote from the tv menu

Hope that it will be fixed soon.

Collapse -
Samsung App - Update 2.0
by gallegd / June 16, 2011 11:14 PM PDT

Hi HDTech,

Collapse -
Bait and Switch
by PeekrC / March 17, 2011 12:00 AM PDT

Firstly, it is refreshing to see someone from Samsung (if he really does work for them) replying here to this issue. I like that. Or does he work for CNET? That's unclear.
However, this issue is really ticking me off. I purchased my Samsung lnc650-whatever, it's a Samsung LCD with Internet@TV, just a few months ago. (Oct 2010, I think) The selling point that pushed me over the edge was this slick iPhone app that let me control my TV AND BluRay player. With my phone! (3GS-iOS 4.3, obviously) Loved it, used it EVERY day, along with Comcast/Xfinity's lame app that at least changes channels and schedules/records the DVR. Fast forward to March 2011 when Apple releases iOS 4.3, delayed to tag along with iPad2 buzz, but which was originally rumored to be released as early as New Years day. That's now over 2.5 months ago. I'm sorry, but there is NO way I am going to blame Apple for surprising its app developers with "security measures" or some other reason involving licensing. I have not encountered another app that is not working since the update. The simple fact is that Samsung has successfully baited and switched on its customers. I am NOT going to spend money on whatever touch screen remote from Samsung that I saw someone mention here or on the app review page after I spent well over a grand on the TV. The company and its app developer have no excuse for not being ready for iOS 4.3. Every day that goes by with no update will drive me to more and more tech websites to vent about this.
iPhone 3GS
Samsung LN46C650 w/Internet@TV
Samsung TV Remote App

Collapse -
TV Remote App
by jab138 / March 18, 2011 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Bait and Switch
Collapse -
Samsung QWERTY Remote Control Coming Soon
by C8000 / March 18, 2011 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Remote App

The description refers to "D" series. Maybe they will throw us a bone and fix the app. I don't want to keep beating up on our resident forum samsung tech, as it is the company not the tech that makes these decisions. I keep feeling abused by samsung. They offer new 3d exclusive deals and don't allow us to buy the exclusive DVD without purchasing more glasses. I have several pairs and don't need more. They put up a 3d app in Aug 2010 and have the same movie trailers and a note of "Coming Soon" associated with additional content. I think 6 months is way beyond "Coming Soon". They should say "Don't Hold Your Breath".

Collapse -
(NT) New Samsung Remote
by jab138 / March 18, 2011 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
New Samsung Remote
by jab138 / March 18, 2011 4:44 AM PDT

This remote will come in the box with the new D series TV's, but can be purchased by itself to work any of the TV's that the app was intended for. I am still hoping they update the app, it just seems like it's connected somehow.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.