Sony forum

TV pic blinks on/off when connected to satellite via hdmi

by MadmanJoe / April 7, 2013 4:54 AM PDT

We have a sony bravia LCD tv, model KDL-60EX500. It's 26 months old. We have satellite TV. 3 weeks ago we had a window stating "Hard drive failure" of the satellite receiver. The satellite tv company sent a new receiver, which we installed. The tv then started "blinking" on and off - no sound, black screen - for a half second or so. It was happening every few minutes. The satellite tv company sent over a technician, who replaced the new receiver with another new receiver. Same problem. I should mention we have a second,old, non-HD tv running off of the same receiver box. No problem with the second tv.
I switched HDMI cables. No difference. I switched HDMI inputs into the TV (there are 4 of them), it made no difference. The blinking happens on all 4 inputs.
I switched to the old style component cables with male ends, using the "component 1" input.
It works. No blinking.
I use HDMI to connect my blu ray player to one of the HDMI inputs. There is no problem when using the blue ray player, but if I switch that input on the tv and hook the satellite reciever to it, the blinking returns.
Summary: the satellite feed for TV reception causes "blinking" on any of the 4 HDMI inputs, but not on the component feed. The 4 HDMI inputs do work for the blu
ray player and for a "wii" we have connected to the TV

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV pic blinks on/off when connected to satellite via hdmi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV pic blinks on/off when connected to satellite via hdmi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sadly a well worn issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

HDMI blinks when its handshake fails. You can try other HDMI cables but I find many consumers to counter with "it works with my Xbox" and are unwilling to pay for our tech to go out to try a new cable. We use those Amazonbasics with no issues.

If that fails, try the old unplug everything from the tv, including power and wait 10 minutes. Now apply the AC then the lone HDMI connection and if it fails the two devices are incompatible.

HDMI is not consumer friendly. It has HDCP and when there are issues you find most companies feign ignorance of the issue. I won't.

Collapse -
A well worn issue:
by MadmanJoe / April 8, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

Hi R Proffitt.
Thank you for the advice. A new hdmi cable was one of the first things I tried. I have not shut the TV down. I have shut the satellite receiver down and unplugged all of that. I'll try unplugging the TV from the power, and unplugging all cables and components from the TV.
I will follow your advice and report when done.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
It's good for a couple of days
by MadmanJoe / April 14, 2013 10:02 AM PDT

Hi Bob.

I did as you suggested. I unplugged everything - cables from the tv, power cord, everything. I waited 10+ minutes. I plugged in the AC, then the new HDMI. It worked for a couple of days, then went back to its blinking. I have repeated the whole sequence a couple of additional times, same results.
Do you have any other suggestions? I have a hard time believing a 2 year old tv and a new satellite receiver box are incompatible. I never had a problem until the previous satellite receiver box had a hard drive failure. If the hard drive failure damaged some component in the tv, do you have any idea what it could be?
I have 2 side notes:
A. I can tell the tv will start blinking again in the near future because I start to see small, white dots flashing on the screen. They're small, subtle, and not easy to see, but when they start up, the tv starts blinking shortly after that.
B. If I hook up the tv to the receiver box with the old fashioned video/audio 5 plug component cable, it works fine.

Collapse -
Not hard for me to believe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

I've swapped so many boxes it's not funny.

HDMI handshake troubles are legendary and I can only guess folk won't believe until all their hair is gone.

Component connections do not suffer the HDCP on HDMI issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.