TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TV Height

by suzycat1 / February 4, 2009 6:14 AM PST

I am in the process of buying a 46" LCD TV that we will be viewing from approximately 7 feet away. I need to buy a console, and I have seen heights from 20" to 32". Is there a difference in the quality of what you see on the screen whether you are looking a little bit up at the TV, a little bit down at it, or directly at eye level? Or is it just personal preference?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Height
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Height
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looking up at a TV
by leohifi / February 4, 2009 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: TV Height

I find it a bit tiring to look up at a TV, after awhile I would think you would have neck strain. Our HDTV is eye level when we are seated on the couch.

Collapse -
Eye level
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2009 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: Looking up at a TV

I agree that eye level is ideal, but to be perfectly honest most folks have a tendency to situate flat panels bit higher. It sometimes has to fit the existing furniture sometimes with not enough wiggle room to place it where it would be ideal. That said, mounting a 3K plasma above the fireplace defeats the purpose IMNSHO. My ultimate favorite was someone who bought a Kuro for a lower level rec room and practically mounted the darn thing touching the 8' drop ceiling <vbg>. The visits down the road to the chiropractor end up costing 4K ;).

best,
Pedro

Collapse -
Your eyes do not like the strain of always having to look up
by NM_Bill / February 4, 2009 10:21 PM PST

The saving grace is that often seating is somewhat reclining so that the pupils actually are gazing at their approximation of eye level or slightly below. Obviously, that is how hospital televisions can get mounted so high - the patients are viewing from a reclining position. Even movie theater seat backs are slightly reclined as opposed to being very upright.

My main TV in the living room is up a bit, but the seating has the somewhat sloping seat backs.

If you give a quickie test to yourself where the pupils have to be actually looking up from within your face, you will easily notice looking up for much any time is a strain.

Collapse -
Another real problem is neck strain
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2009 11:58 PM PST

That's almost the worse problem since people don't really notice it. Over time it can adversely affect one's health.

-Pedro

Collapse -
tv stand
by chesschess / February 5, 2009 7:29 PM PST

Hi,
Don't forget to consider the height of the tv stand.
I have my tv bottom edge at 57cms. Just perfect for me.

Reagrsd
chesschess

Collapse -
cms does not mean cm
by MAXSPENCER / February 14, 2009 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: tv stand

tv stand, you must mean 57 cm

Collapse -
I am going to look at this differently;
by ahtoi / February 6, 2009 2:10 AM PST

12" difference at 7 feet is not going to make that much difference. Your decision should be base on decor and not viewing. Unless you got a vaulted ceiling, I would go for the 20" height (am I right? hehe).

Collapse -
Try eye level
by GENE8 / February 13, 2009 4:20 PM PST

Since the TV you're getting is an LCD, then I would advice you to sit directly at eye level to the screen. The image quality of LCD TVs, like LCD monitors, tend to shift if you don't sit directly in front of the screen when viewing them. If you were getting a Plasma TV, then this wouldn't be a problem, since Plasmas don't suffer from color shifting when you view them off-angle like LCDs do.

Collapse -
Active LCD on a floating mount.
by ````` / February 14, 2009 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Try eye level

Passive LCDs are made into televisions? HDTVs come in plasma? Sick.
Floating mount should be installed to compensate for reflections and furniture movements... or just put it on the ceiling and flip the futon down.

Collapse -
Mounting Height and Viewing Angle
by Hi-def Jeff / February 15, 2009 6:02 AM PST

Dear Suzycat1,

There is definitely a difference in quality due to viewing angle. If you've seen a laptop and have adjusted the angle to the best viewing, you will find the best viewing when the screen is parallel to the plane of your face.
The best viewing of an LCD is eye level to where you watch the TV. It is actually more important with a console because you will have no angular adjustment to compensate for height as you would with many wall mounts.
It is not only picture quality that will be affected but also viewing comfort. Too low will be a hassle. Better to be slightly higher than lower for your comfort.
Lastly, a 46" TV should be around 7'8" from your eyes, though if you are purchasing a 1080 model, 7 feet will probably be just fine.

Here is some help:
http://www.wowvision.tv/buying%20confusion.htm

Collapse -
tv height and sitting distance from tv
by Joan Senior / March 13, 2009 2:41 PM PDT

46" LCD TV SONY BRAVIA Z SERIES

WHAT HEIGHT WOULD THE TV GO ON A WALL AND WHAT WOULD THE SITTING DISTANCE BE FROM IT

Collapse -
Mounting height
by Hi-def Jeff / March 14, 2009 5:32 AM PDT

Distance to eyes = approx. 7 foot+

Height= Using a flat wall mount, the center of TV should be as close to eye level as possible and higher would be better than lower. With a tilting wall mount that will provide a downward tilt, then you could mount it somewhat higher than eye level. (i.e. sitting on a couch, your eye level could be say 3-4 foot. You could mount with the center of the TV 1-2 foot higher without affecting picture quality.)

Collapse -
TV height
by suzycat1 / March 14, 2009 7:38 AM PDT

We already figured everything out and bought the TV and cabinet. We found some sites that had recommended measurements. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.