Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

TV for gaming - Mom getting bday gift for son needs help :)

by techquestion49 / January 30, 2011 2:06 AM PST

I am trying to surprise my son for his birthday. He has XBox 360 60 gig HDD and does a lot of gaming with Call of Duty and such type games. Currently has a 17-inch computer monitor screen that he uses. We want to get him a TV that he can use for a better screen and will obviously also be able to use as a TV. I went out looking yesterday and realized I am way, way over my head! Happy Need to stay within the $500 range and am overwhelmed with things like 720 vs 1080 and LCD vs LED vs plasma. Everyone I talk to gives a different opinion. A lot will be determined by price obviously. I am assuming we'll end up with a 32" - don't want to go smaller but probably can't afford to go higher. Also since he will have in his room I think bigger than 32" is probably overkill anyway. Then in reading forums there are many other details and numbers that are way over my head. I would like just some simple input about 720 vs 1080 and also about LCD vs LED vs plasma. One other thing is that he ultimately wants to do some gaming, etc. on the computer - the computer will come later but need to take that into consideration when getting the screen. I don't know if there are things I should be considering about that aspect as well though I assume all of the new TVs will have a PC connection.

Thanks to all who can can give some pointers / advice. I am clueless! Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV for gaming - Mom getting bday gift for son needs help :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV for gaming - Mom getting bday gift for son needs help :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which 360?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2011 2:16 AM PST

If the 360 has HDMI my son loves to play on his 1080p HDMI connect 23 inch Samsung. We did get it on sale and it gets triple use as a PC display and TV.

He didn't know it but it's sized so that he can take it with him to college or an apartment.
Bob

Collapse -
My thoughts
by Jimmy Greystone / January 30, 2011 5:17 AM PST

My thoughts on the matter.

I'd say definitely go with 1080p over 720p. Without getting overly technical, all other things being equal, 1080p will be a better overall image quality compared to 720p.

If you can find LED backlit sets for under $500, definitely go for one, but odds are you won't. So on the LCD vs Plasma, go with LCD. Plasma gives a better picture, but they don't tend to last as long, use significantly more electricity, and also generate a lot of heat as a result of all that electricity they use. So unless you want to get him an in-window AC unit to go along with the TV, stick to LCD.

And personally, I have a pretty basic 60Hz TV, and I use it for gaming. Works perfectly well for me. Don't get sold on all this 120/240/680Hz crap. Most of it's a gimmick anyway, and they get those numbers with a bit of funny math. If you can find two otherwise equal sets, except one is 120Hz and the other's 60Hz, and the price difference is negligible, then definitely go for the 120Hz. Otherwise, it's far better to spend money on a set with a good quality display as opposed to one with all the whiz-bang features.

The one little snag here is that TVs tend to make for lousy computer monitors. They just aren't designed to hold a static image for long periods of time. So, first you need to make a choice between TV or monitor, and then you can go from there. If you go monitor, your screen size will probably be a bit more limited, and you'll pay a little more, but the display panel will be designed with computer use in mind as opposed to TV. I might suggest going the TV route, and then when you get around to the computer part of things, you can look for some kind of computer/monitor bundle.

Collapse -
Thanks very much ...
by techquestion49 / January 31, 2011 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: My thoughts

The information you have provided coincides with conclusions I have been coming to meanwhile. I think I've found a good deal on an LCD 1080 120 Hz - that goes on sale later this week. I've found that the salesmen often serve to confuse me more as there are so many different opinions. However, have most recently talked to a guy who impressed me that he knew what he was talking about, and his thoughts also were very similar to yours. I feel pretty comfortable now that I've made a decent choice at a good value for the price range. Now for the fun of the big surprise - he's gonna love it!!! Happy Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

CNET EDITORS' CHOICE

Roku Streaming Stick 2016

Roku has the most apps, the simplest interface and the best search, making it CNET's favorite way to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO and all the rest.