TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

TV doesn't support HDCP, Can't use HDMI?

by klmccaffery / December 30, 2008 9:18 PM PST

Hello,
I just hooked up my new Sony Blu-ray and (also new) HDMI Cable box using HDMI through a new Bose V20 Home theater system. My about 4 year old Panasonic 50 inch plasma will only display a digital signal if I use HDMI. A message keeps appearing on the screen that says your TV does not support HDCP so hook it up using component video cables. So apparently I will not be able to View HDTV with this TV???
Anyone have any suggestions besides buying a new TV??
Thank you in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV doesn't support HDCP, Can't use HDMI?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV doesn't support HDCP, Can't use HDMI?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Model numbers
by klmccaffery / December 30, 2008 9:50 PM PST

If this helps here are the model numbers for my setup:
Panasonic TH-50PX50U TV
Sony BDP-S550 Bluy Ray
Bose Lifestyle V20 Home Theater System
Scientific Atlanta 8300 HDC
Any help would sure be appreciated!
Thanks,
Kevin

Collapse -
That's right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2008 10:50 PM PST

HDCP is not on component cables so some content will not play over component in HD. HDMI does require HDCP so that works.

In short, all component connections on all TVs should do that. Nothing busted here.

Fix? Use the HDMI port or play content that is not protected by HDCP.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm Confused!
by klmccaffery / December 30, 2008 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: That's right.

It's probably pretty obvious that I am confused.
The TV manual says it will broadcast in analog (480?) if I use anything BUT the HDMI cable. The message on the screen (from the Cable Box?) says since the TV does not support HDCP I must use the Component Video cables. Does this not mean that I will not be able to view the HD TV channels in anything but 480 with the component video cables? So in other words not HD.
Sorry about my lack of knowledge on this subject.
Kevin

Collapse -
You proved "everything."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2008 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: I'm Confused!

If I read your posts over again, it's all clear what is going on. Let's skip any long tutorial and move in for the kill.

It looks like you have content with HDCP. This means the only connection that you can use are HDCP capable ones like HDMI.
Bob

Collapse -
Are sure?
by ahtoi / December 31, 2008 2:53 AM PST

I thought by definition, hdmi are hdcp compatible (at least ver. 1.2 & 1.3 are). I think the problem here might be "through the HT system" which may not be hdcp compatible.

Collapse -
The Bose was the problem!
by klmccaffery / December 31, 2008 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Are sure?

Thanks for the suggestion that the Bose Home theater might be the problem. I unhooked the cable box HDMI from the Bose and hooked it straight to the TV and voila! the HD cable worked fine. I then called Bose and found out my unit was messed up. I bought an out of box unit for a $300.00 discount and apparently whoever had it before had screwed up a lot of the settings (the display settings were in french for instance!). The Bose tech guy told me how to reset the unit to factory specs and everything has been fine since then.
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Collapse -
Just to be clear...
by klmccaffery / December 31, 2008 8:36 AM PST

My setup is back to the original - Blue Ray and HD Cable Box to the Bose and then the Bose to the TV all through HDMI and everything is working fine.
Thanks again!
Kevin

Collapse -
It's Back
by klmccaffery / January 1, 2009 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Just to be clear...

Several hours after watching HD channels the message is back - your TV does not support HDCP and it says to use Component Video Cables??????

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: It's Back

As cable co's, Tivo, and others are tinkering with HD content this message is starting to show up all over the landscape. There is no do this cure for everyone. But you should know that it's not you.
Bob

Collapse -
Ahh, a new twist.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2008 5:23 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.