Samsung

General discussion

TV Calibration

by odnanref63 / March 14, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

I just purchased a PN850. I was going to use the Monster calibration disc, how long should I wait before calibrating ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Calibration
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Calibration
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TV Calibration
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2010 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: TV Calibration

odnanref63,

You can do it now, if you'd like. The picture won't change significantly, so feel free to use it now. Of course, if you'd like to check it later on months down the line, you'll have the disc so you can perform another one if you think the set needs it.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung calibration
by odnanref63 / March 16, 2010 1:38 PM PDT

thanks!!

Collapse -
Samsung PN50C550 Set up
by sgrigory / April 9, 2010 12:23 AM PDT

I was very pleased when Best Buy set up my TV at no charge to confirm it worked before leaving. I was going to return it right then if it had the infamous Samsung buzz ? but it is very very quiet. Had to stick our heads behind the TV to hear anything.

We read on forums like this that all TVs are set for show room floor display out of the box. Best Buy in our area uses an outfit called the GEEK Squad to calibrate your TV in your home at extra charge. I had planned to do it myself.

During set up there was a menu choice between "show room" use and "home use" so Samsung has taken that issue off the table for out of the box picture quality. The picture is so good I am in no hurry to do a GEEK TWEAK - meaning a change in settings for an improvement that no one can actually see.

This set looks good in our bright living room and in the dark at night. I used AV cables during setup to confirm a picture so the delivery guys could leave as it turns out the HDMI output on the Directv DVR does not work. The picture was surprisingly good. It got better when I hooked up component cables and HDMI from the Blue RAY DVD was terrific. So I can see the difference. I will check posted calibration settings before changing anything.

Collapse -
Samsung PN50C550 Set up
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 14, 2010 5:46 PM PDT

sgrigory,

Thanks for posting your experience, and the kind words!

CNet, when they review TVs, sometimes post calibrated darkroom settings on the HDTV Picture Settings Forum. I don't think they've done the 2010 "C" series yet, but if they do, they'll post them in this forum:

http://forums.cnet.com/hdtv-picture-settings-forum/

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.