TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

TV Cable DVR

by fnanco / February 13, 2012 1:20 AM PST

I have read a lot about DVR, in my country almost everyone have DirecTV, it is almost a monopoly, I recently switched from Sattelite to a Cable company mostly cause the internet conection and the plan comes with Cable TV but for a really stupid reason in my city they dont offer what we called a "Decodificador" a DVR... So my question is wich DVR to buy that could work with my Cable Company and wont have to pay monthly fee to the DVR company... My cable company is called INTER and its website is INTER.COM.VE, they use Fiber Optic cable... If you need any other spec i could try to get it from them, but they wont tell me if for example a TIVO will work with them...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TV Cable DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TV Cable DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It may not be possible
by Pepe7 / February 13, 2012 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: TV Cable DVR

It depends on what sort of proprietary system they may or may not be using in Venezuela w/ your cable provider. If you can determine what DVR hardware (brand/model numbers) are being used in other areas (Sucre, Bolivar, etc.), perhaps we could get somewhere. But won't obtaining a TiVo be crazy expensive in your country???

Collapse -
TiVo
by fnanco / February 13, 2012 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: It may not be possible

Okey, let check on that...

Collapse -
Check with your Cable company first
by Dan Filice / February 13, 2012 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: TiVo

Before you buy any DVR, can't you simply call your Cable company and ask them if a third part DVD will work with their service? Pepe7 is correct in that the cable company may have proprietary coding in their signal that may not work with a third party DVR, thus forcing you to rent theirs. There may be no other option other than renting one from your cable company. My cable company has different models: HD, non HD, and different storage options.

Collapse -
Venezuela is a tricky place
by Pepe7 / February 13, 2012 12:49 PM PST

Based on stories from my wife's family who lives near Caracas, I'd wager that it may be more difficult than simply calling up the cable company like you would in the U.S. Wink And then there's the blistering "broadband" you are paying for @ 256kbps 8-).

Collapse -
You are right
by fnanco / February 13, 2012 9:49 PM PST

Yes, is a tricky place, but as all there is always corruption, even inside great corporation, i just called the guy who installed me the Inter Cable and he will make the diligence and find out the info for me... Also one of the reason I decided to change to Inter Cable is because is the only one that offers a 10mb internet plan, althought is not really 10MB, they will only promise you a max speed of 1.5 MB, I'm not wining, this beats by a long shot the 2MB plan that offers CANTV (They only Promise you 200KB speed), the difference is a lot, at least Now I can watch netflix and hulu and Amazon Prime, via a VPN of course, without the screen froze every 10 seconds...

Collapse -
I'm surprised
by Pepe7 / February 14, 2012 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: You are right

1.5MB/s seems pretty good for your neck of the woods.

Collapse -
Es un milagro...
by fnanco / February 15, 2012 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: I'm surprised

Mi pana es mucho mejor que PRETTY GOOD... Es un milagro de Dios... Jajaja...

Collapse -
;)
by Pepe7 / February 15, 2012 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Es un milagro...
Wink
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.