Computer Help forum

General discussion

Turning off script error notice

by KitofTampa / August 13, 2004 6:03 AM PDT

I get all these errors when exploring the web. Runtime error and null object all having to do with web development. It ask me if I want to debug, ect. How do I turn that off because I don't care.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turning off script error notice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turning off script error notice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Turning off script error notice
by swisse / August 13, 2004 6:26 AM PDT

Open IE, go to Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, check Disable script debugging, and uncheck Display a notification about every script error. Click Apply and OK, close IE and open again. Those debugging errors shouldn't appear anymore.

Collapse -
by Harold Goldberg / August 19, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

Go to tools Click internet options, Click advanced tab, and check disable bugging script.

This should work.

Collapse -
by Kranders104 / August 22, 2004 7:40 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, and double-click "Internet Options". Click on the "Advanced" tab, and enable the option "Display a notification about every script error" check box.

Collapse -
Oops -- Typo Found in Last Message
by Kranders104 / August 22, 2004 9:12 PM PDT

I meant "disable", not "enable". Sorry!!!

Collapse -
Re: Oops -- Typo Found in Last Message
by auldtwa / September 5, 2004 11:29 AM PDT

I have done both the checking and unchecking and I am still getting the notices. This has happened on two different computers, so I don't think it is a problem with a particular version of IE 6. It has happened both before and after SP2. It does not happen on my work computer running Win2000. What else other than the two script boxes on "Advanced" might work?

Collapse -
Re: Oops -- Typo Found in Last Message
by joniain / October 12, 2004 1:47 PM PDT

I also found that this method does not always work. I believe it reduces the number of notifications that it doesn't eliminate them.

Therefore I too will be very interested in finding out how to eliminate them

Collapse -
Depends on the problem!
by Cursorcowboy / October 12, 2004 9:03 PM PDT

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

==and==

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

4. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

1. The article [Q188135] describes procedure for minimizing warning and explains that Internet Explorer treats Windows Scripting Hosts (WSH) objects as unsafe ActiveX controls, and if a Web site tries to initialize or script a WSH object (for example, to access files on your local computer), Internet Explorer does not initialize or script the object at high or medium security settings and renders a warning.

2. W2K and WinME users have version 2.0 installed. Win9x and WinNT 4.0 users have version 1.0. "Upgrade" to version 5.6, from this Microsoft Windows Script Technologies Web site. Several areas of functionality have been addressed in this "latest version."

3. Articles found specifically covering reported script errors:

a. "When You Try to View Graphic File Attachments (Q268136)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when clicking a message with a graphic file attachment after you upgrade to Outlook Express:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 107
Char: 1
Error: syntax Error
Code: 0
URL: mhtml:mid://00000002/

b. "When You Run the Windows Millennium Edition Preview (Q274486)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when trying to view the ME Preview:

Internet Explorer Script Error
Line:45
Char:1
Error : Automation Server can't create object
Code:0
URL: file://c:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\INTRO\CONTENT.HTA

c. "When You Click Search in Internet Explorer (Q178141)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when clicking Search:

Line: 159
Char: 3
Error: 'gEngineList[...].dom' is not an object

d. "Open in New Window" Command Does Not Work in Internet Explorer (Q180176)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when right-clicking a Web adress and selecting Open in New Window:

Line:
Char:
Error: No such interface supported

e. "An Error Has Occurred in the Script on This Page (Q229963)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when performing a search:

Line: 23
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'parent.t1'

f. "A Script Error Is Generated When You Create a Shortcut on the Quick Launch Toolbar (Q267818)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when attempting to create a shortcut on the Quick Launch toolbar in WinME:

Line: 15
Error: Permission denied
URL : hcp://system/css/PCHealth.htc

g. "When You Click Add/Remove Programs in Shared Program Files Folder (Q267819)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when opening Add/Remove Programs in WinME:

Line: 478 or 439
Char: 13
Error: Unspecified error.
URL: path to shared Program Files\Folder.htt

h. "When You Export to Excel from Internet Explorer (Q294973)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when attempting to use the Export to Microsoft Excel command in IE:

Line: 49
Error: This command is unavailable because the license to use this application has expired.
URL: res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE10\EXCEL.EXE\3000

i. "When You Attempt to Print a Web Page: "An Error Has Occurred in the Script on This Page (Q303486)" or "Error Message When You Print from Internet Explorer: Printing Error: The Printer Cannot Be Found (Q303360)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when printing a Web page to a file using the Print command:

Line: 1210
Error: Unspecified error.
URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/preview.dlg

Note: Perform the exact same procedure as described in article "Q303360" for the file SHDOCLC.DLL as pertains to:

4. "ActiveX Errors When You Run Internet Explorer (Q177943)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered when starting Internet Explorer:

Line: 78
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method.

5. "Cannot Open .jpg Attachments in Outlook Express (Q314424)."

Note: An error message similar to the following may be rendered RE: the subject of that article:

Line: 107
Error: syntax Error
URL: mhtml:mid://0000000 0000000

6. "Internet Explorer Script Error - An Error Has Occurred (Q285212)."

Note: Generally an error similar to the follow is rendered when opening certain programs with IE:

Line: 574
Char: 2
Error: Class not registered
URL: msell2://c:&v=2&pid=ELLE00A&cmd=openitss&itssname=ell&path=home/home.htm

Collapse -
For joniain
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2004 9:41 PM PDT

Did you try Firefox or Mozilla?

Bob

Collapse -
Computer help forum
by joniain / February 16, 2006 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: For joniain

Yes indeed Bob. I have been using both for some time now and I wish that Firefox could show me every page on the net but too often I get a message saying that a page could not be displayed (not necessarily in those words) so I have to past the link in MSIE to view it.

I wish the mailer would allow one to move to the next message instead of just the next unread message but what the hell it was written by a young guy who in his pic looks like a teenager

Collapse -
Error
by Rabfab / December 23, 2008 10:28 PM PST

An error as occued in the script on the page Outlook express Mail
Internet script error
Line 639
Char 1
Invalid Agrement Code 0
Url res/windows/System 32/shdoclc dll/preview dIg

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.