Laptops forum

Question

Turning off CAPS LOCK display

by DoctorPanacea / May 1, 2012 1:11 PM PDT

Okay, I have spent the whole evening using Google to try to figure out how to TURN OFF the obnoxious Caps Lock / Unlock displays that pop up when you use the Caps Lock key and then turn it off. I am NOT trying to turn off the Caps Lock function, just the annoying display.

I have encountered many answers on the internet. None of them works. For example, someone at Microsoft said to edit a certain registry value. Only, that registry value does not exist in my completely up-to-date version of Windows 7. Other trails involving the Control Panel were dead ends, too, usually because the "tab" or whatever was nonexistent.

The problem seems to relate to keyboard software. Does anybody know how to handle this problem? I have looked at the Acer hotkey utility and the files associated with it. By the way, why does the HotkeyUtility.ini file have a semicolon before TRUE? It is the only "True" value in the ".ini" file that is handled like this.

[CapsLock]
Extended = ;True
Scancode = 58
VKcode = 20
WaitKeyUp = True

I would love to get rid of this idiotic display that pops up. Thanks for any help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turning off CAPS LOCK display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turning off CAPS LOCK display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Sorry, what OS too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 1:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 7
by DoctorPanacea / May 1, 2012 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, what OS too?

Actually, I did say Windows 7 in my second paragraph. But no matter. I would appreciate your help. Let me reiterate that I have already looked at various solutions involving the Control Panel and the registry. One guy said that of six Windows 7 machines that he looked at, the problem of the unbanishable display started after keyboard software was installed. The machine is an Acer Aspire X1430G.

This appears to be a common problem regardless of the brand of the Windows hardware.

Collapse -
Missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

"It is part of the WIDCOMM Bluetooth software by Broadcom. The part responsible for the caps, scroll and num lock on-screen displays is called BTTray.exe."

Collapse -
Thanks, but that is not the solution
by DoctorPanacea / May 1, 2012 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Missed it.

Hey, thanks, R. Proffitt.

That is one of the solutions that I already knew about, and it does not work on my system, because the registry entry does not exist in my up-to-date version of Windows 7 (Home Edition).

However, it does not matter, because I have figured out the solution.

It all has to do with the HotkeyUtility.exe file.

The hotkey utility was appearing as an icon in the system tray. I right-clicked on it and exited. The icon disappeared. The caps lock display also stopped popping up.

I discovered this right after I posted. I googled HotkeyUtility.ini and then clicked on a site that said Hotkey Utility. The site offers a free utility (system_tray_cleaner.exe) that will uninstall the Acer HotkeyUtility entirely or just remove it from the startup. Right now I have just closed it, and it will reload as a startup program when I reboot. But later I will remove it from the startup by using the utility.

I am really glad to have solved this.

Thanks, again!

Collapse -
That's an issue today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2012 2:06 AM PDT

There are often multiple answers. So everyone gets to add in what they know and you get to sort it out.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
fixed
by dardisco / October 11, 2012 11:40 AM PDT

Done on Win7 64bit but should work on any system with Launch Manager.

Look for Launch Manager.
Right click icon then 'Open Containing Folder'.
(Should be c:\Program Files(x86)\LaunchManager)
Open subfolder 'OSDRC'.
Delete the files CapsLock_On.png and CapsLock_Off.png (or move them elsewhere).
Thus it can no longer find the icons it wants to display.
You can do the same for any of the other icons that are troublesome.

Note I also use AutoHotKey to remap keyboard, however this won't affect the keys displaying the icons when you press them.

Collapse -
Answer
Bluetooth
by JJFamous / December 23, 2014 8:31 PM PST

I had this problem and all i had to do was:
Open up start menu
Search for "msconfig"
Go to "Start Up"
Scroll down until you find something with Bluetooth in it. In my case it was "Bluetooth LE Services Control Program"
Untick the box
Click Apply and then Okay

After all of this, then the big padlock in the middle of the screen when caps lock or num lock is pressed should not show. If this isnt the case, restart computer.

Thank you R. Proffitt for the answer which helped me sort this out Happy

Collapse -
Answer
This is what I had to do.
by Chaaseup / January 7, 2015 3:14 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.