Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Turning off antivirus component of Webroot Spysweeper

by PipoNYC / March 21, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

Is there a way of turning off the antivirus component of that Webroot Spysweeper has added on? I already have an antivirus program (CA) that I use and want to avoid conflicts (Windos XP Home).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Turning off antivirus component of Webroot Spysweeper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Turning off antivirus component of Webroot Spysweeper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Donna Buenaventura / March 22, 2008 1:37 PM PDT

From their support page:
http://webroot.custhelp.com/

"In order to disable the Anti-Virus components of Webroot Anti-Virus you must go to two separate sections:

Anti-Virus Shield Disabling

1. Click on the Options button on the left hand side of Webroot Anti-Virus

2. Go to the Shields tab of the Options Menu

3. Under the section labeled Anti-Virus Protection, take the checkmark out of the Protect against Viruses box.

Anti-Virus Shields have successfully been turned off.

Anti-Virus Sweep Disabling

1. Click on the Options button on the left hand side of Webroot Anti-Virus

2. On the Sweep tab, put the dot into Custom Sweep (please note you can only disable Anti-Virus Sweeps by using the Custom Sweep option)

3. Under the section labeled Sweep Settings Summary, click the Change Settings link which is next to Custom Sweep Settings

4. A Custom Sweep box will appear with various sections to click on. Click on the What To Sweep button on the left side of this Custom Sweep box.

5. On this screen, take the checkmark out of Sweep for Viruses under the Viruses section.

6. Click the OK button at the bottom of this screen and you will be returned to the Sweep tab. (Again please note that you can only disable Anti-Virus Sweeps by using the Custom Sweep Option which will now be selected)

Anti-Virus Sweeps have successfully been turned off.
"

BTW, there is webroot spywsweeper (with antivirus). If you prefer the antispyware only and you just purchase the product, you might want to request 'exchange' or 'refund' then purchase the program that do not have their AV.

Collapse -
How do you turn off Webroot antivirus loaded when I updated
by Nancille / September 2, 2009 11:38 AM PDT

I have a HP XP Home Desk top and a Karpersky Anti Virus progam. I used the Webroot progam specifically for the removal of spyware. There is nothing on the new updated Webroot homepage for disabling their anti virus. I hope that I do not have to remove it using the Add Delete option.

Can you assist me?

Collapse -
The same guide they have..

Hi,

The above post is the same guide they have to disable/turn off Webroot anti-virus. You can also see it here.

That should disable the antivirus only but might not disable the startup item and its services. You will need to configure Webroot to not not load during startup and then, if you have access to services console in Windows (start>run box>type services.msc>hit OK), you will disable Webroot Antivirus services.

Give it a try.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.