Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

TuneUp Utilities vs System Mechanic Premium

by Clorey69 / October 5, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

I bought and installed System Mechanic Premium 2012 and I also downloaded free for 15 days, TuneUp Utilities 2013. I am very impressed with TuneUp. The trial period is over now and I am wondering which program is better. I like System Mechanic also, but I don't think it does what TuneUp does. Both are new to me. I would love to get some answers about both from someone who has used either or both. Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TuneUp Utilities vs System Mechanic Premium
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TuneUp Utilities vs System Mechanic Premium
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't use either of them
by itsdigger / October 5, 2012 4:27 AM PDT

Nothing but Grief when you use those sort of programs . Malwarebytes , Super Anti Spyware , Ccleaner , all used smartly works great .......Digger

Collapse -
I'll Suggest "Neither"...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 4:37 AM PDT

Although I've used older versions of both tools previously, just as a test, our advice regarding such "optimizers" and registry cleaners is they usually do more harm than good. In my previous tests, (not specifically of the new versions you've listed), after running a cleanup scan of a brand new installation of Windows, which surprisingly found hundreds of "faults" in the system, I let the tools remove the "problems" found.. After a restart of the system, I ran the same scans again.. Hmmm, the tools found LOTS of "problems" again.. Makes one suspicious of the validity of their scans.

In addition, since I have never been able to find a good third-party testing site of such programs, it's clear to me they are basically useless.. Most importantly, discussions about this topice generally indicate such programs provide little to no performance increase anyway.

And in many cases, they're worse than useless, they frequently remove important files and registry entries which cause computers to run poorer than before.. Sometimes, the computers cease to function at all.

As a general rule, unless you've got enough knowledge and experience to approve each of the files and registry items the programs identify as "bad", why let such a tool run on your machine?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
To: Grif
by Clorey69 / October 5, 2012 8:50 AM PDT

Hi Grif,

You have given me good advice in the past, so I will listen to your advice. I will not buy TuneUp Utilities at a special price of $29.95. I did use it for 15 days and it did clean up a lot of files, start up programs, registry files etc. and to be honest, I found this computer to run quite a bit faster. I think I had every program starting up which would of course make the computer slower. I delete files etc. in IE 8.0 on a regular basis. The computer shuts down quicker too since I have used TuneUp. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not. I have been advised in the past not to use programs like these, but I thought I would try them out because this computer was so darn slow. I will try the programs you are suggesting I use, like Malware and CCleaner etc. I assume they are free? If I uninstall both of these programs and install the others, is there anything that I should know about start up programs and making the shut down process faster than it was before I used the two mentioned programs? I do believe that I have too much going on with this computer. What about disabling programs? I am sure there are a lot of programs that don't need to be running in the background, but I don't know which ones they are. Perhaps you could guide me in this direction. I am very happy that you answered my questions so quickly. I really appreciate your help. You are very knowledgeable. Awaiting your answer when you have time. Thanks again. BTW. I am using Windows XP Professional, Media Centre Edition Version 2003 with XP3. This computer is an AMD Althon Processor, 3800+ 2.00 ghz and 1.87 gb ram. I don't know what any of this means and this computer is now 6 years old. I also use I.E. 8.0 for the browser. I got an IPad in July 16 GB, which I love. No problems with it so far and it is very fast.

Collapse -
I'm weighing in with .. "neither of the two".
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

Grif said it all.

I think if you do a forum search, you will find most feel the same way.

Carol

Collapse -
To: Digger
by Clorey69 / October 5, 2012 9:00 AM PDT

I want to thank you very much for your quick response to my query. I will not buy TuneUp Utilities for a special price of $29.95 and I will uninstall System Mechanic Premium. I bought it from Worldstart and paid only $15.00 for it, along with two other programs on the disk. Buying it this way, I just received the disk, no box or anything. I will try the programs you have suggested I try and see what happens. Perhaps you can read the reply I received from Grif and the reply I sent to him. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question. I truly appreciate it.

Collapse -
Your Welcome
by itsdigger / October 5, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: To: Digger

A good free uninstaller would be Revo Uninstaller....Digger

Collapse -
To: Grif
by Clorey69 / October 5, 2012 9:04 AM PDT

Grif, something that I am afraid of now and I forgot to mention it to you is what happens after I uninstall both of these programs as far as what TuneUp Utilities changed, moreso than System Mechanic Premium. TU changed all kinds of start up programs, the desktop, the way IE looks, so many things to mention. Will everything go back to the way things were before I used it? I sure pray that things will be okay. What do you think? Thanks a lot

Collapse -
As To What Happens When They're Uninstalled
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 5, 2012 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: To: Grif

I'm not sure.. My guess is the changes will remain "changed" as you see them now. At least, that's what I've seen before. Uninstalling probably won't change the registry entries that were altered by the program. But to be sure, try visiting the website of the program and see if they have answers.. Generally though, before you uninstall the program, changes made can be "undone" from within the program IF the program has an "undo" option.. If that's the case, you may want to use the "Undo" option and go back to the beginning.. (If there is no "undo" option, you might simply uninstall and see what happens. Using "System Restore" to a time before the installation of the programs should allow you to take the computer back to its original state should you not like the results.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.