PC Applications forum

General discussion

TuneUp Utilities Problem

by vigneshiyers / June 4, 2009 9:00 PM PDT

I have windows Xp(sp3) and tuneup utilities 2009 installed. When I use TuneUp there is a recommendation "Prefetech Data Deleted". But there is no option to correct. What is Prefetech data and I have never knowingly deleted it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TuneUp Utilities Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TuneUp Utilities Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

There is some urban lore about the Prefetch data that I can't vet. You can type What is XP Prefetch Data? on google to find out what it is.

-> YOUR CHOICE on this. I found no gain on hundreds of machines by doing this.
Bob

Collapse -
TU2010 is deleting the files from the Prefetch folder.
by tuddley3 / January 17, 2010 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

The initial question was not answered. I have the same problem he has. Tuneup Utilities deletes the files automatically. My question, and his, is how do you turn that off within Tuneup Utilities. I'm tired of having to change my Windows theme every time I do a system restart. One difference between him and myself, is that he has TU2009, and I have TU2010. But I suspect the solution to our problem is basically the same.

Collapse -
No up or downside here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 8:02 AM PST

As to how to turn it off? If they don't support the product you have your answer. Uninstall it and move on.

Collapse -
No up or downside here.
by tuddley3 / January 31, 2010 8:42 AM PST

Maybe you shouldn't be the one to be answering this question, because we are asking about Tuneup Utilities and how IT deletes the Prefetch folder. You are giving us tips about the Prefetch folder assuming we are deleting data from it. If Tuneup Utilities is deleting the contents of the folder, there must be a way to stop it from doing so, without uninstalling Tuneup Utilities. If you don't know what you are talking about, or what we are asking, don't ******* reply.

We posted here to get answers about Tuneup Utilities, not how to deal with the Prefetch folder.

Collapse -
Just sharing what we discovered about the Prefetch folder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 9:53 AM PST

If the Tuneup support is this bad, why would you use it?

Collapse -
Tuneup support?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2010 4:38 AM PST

I assume you have asked this question of the developers of this optimisation utility?

The problem here as I see it is two-fold.

1] You are using a software utility that is performing some action you don't want it to. Unless you have missed something in the software's Tools > Options, (or similar), then it seems there is no setting to change.

In that case, your first step would be to discuss your difficulty with the software developer. They are sure to have a Help & Support section in their web site.

2] A solution was offered here which prevents the deletion of the contents of the Prefetch folder. That is to stop using the software that appears to be deleting those contents automatically. CNET relies on members helping each other out in these forums, but since no other member posted in reply to the original post, may be that implies that no-one else here has the knowledge and/or experience of this software to offer any other advice. In that case, no longer using the software appears to be a relevant alternative.

Just a note though. Your first post in this discussion said that the original question had not been answered. The original; question was;

"I have windows Xp(sp3) and tuneup utilities 2009 installed. When I use TuneUp there is a recommendation "Prefetech Data Deleted". But there is no option to correct. What is Prefetech data and I have never knowingly deleted it."

What is Prefetch? That was the question, and a method of finding out that answer was given.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Google is your friend.
by Coryphaeus / June 4, 2009 11:00 PM PDT

And be extremely careful on what you have those utilities delete. Trust me here, your system can become unusable.

Collapse -
more problems...
by dotdll / June 7, 2009 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Google is your friend.

i am also using tuneup uti '09, the problem i face is that when i start tuneup uti on the Start Page where you those three portions:Maintenance, Speed and Health. All the recommendations expect those in the Health window can be applied easily but when i try to apply the recommendations like 'unique player identification' in the health window it doesnt get applied. i click on the 'disable unique player identification' but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
tuneup
by shoebob / June 7, 2009 4:29 AM PDT

Yeah i use tuneup 09 also... I run vista 64-bit and it did its quickscan to see how to imporve performance.. and it disables most my graphics... so when it came to playin a 3d game... it said sorry... your video settings are set to "This" and i remembered tuneup doing that// but luckily i could undo it myself.

- Yeah you have to be careful on tuneup and any other utilities... cuz they can mess up your system if you dont pay attention.!

- But it answer the Prefect question.... I would just leave it be... haha

Collapse -
Themes confusion
by wickedsinner / July 1, 2010 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: tuneup

hey
I have been using tuneup utilities 09 and wish to install 10 now. I want to know that the themes i have installed using 09, what will happen to those when i uninstall 09? Will i lose all my themes and need to install them again with version 10? Please help. Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) Answer to your question, if you are still interested in it!
by amoghkamath / November 10, 2010 3:59 PM PST
Collapse -
by amoghkamath / November 10, 2010 4:02 PM PST

It does not delete your prefetch data, it just shows you that your prefetch data has been deleted recently. That means, that there is no cure for it(and not necessary either), but you should be aware that you should not delete prefetch folder! So it just says that your data was deleted, that does not mean tuneup utilities has deleted it!

Regards,
Amogh

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.