Android

Resolved Question

Trying to use my phone as a computer

by max-greece / February 21, 2012 4:42 PM PST

I have an HTC Sensation XE. This is a very powerful phone that I would like to use as a computer.

I purchased the USB2HDMI adapter that allows me to connect the phone to my 42 inch TV to use as a monitor. In theory this is sufficient to do what I want, but:

The HDMI cable in addition to the adapter and the power cable is too much weight for the mini USB socket on the phone. Its fine if the phone is not being moved but the stain should the phone be moved is excessive and if that port breaks I cannot recharge the battery.

What I would like to do is to connect the phone additionally to some kind of wireless keyboard / pointing device. This would allow me to leave the phone cabled in and then use it as a PC without moving it.

I have tried the bluetooth keyboard we purchased for my daughter's ipad. This works fine - but there is no way of negotiating the menus - opening apps or navigating around the screen.

Thoughts anyone?

max-greece has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to use my phone as a computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to use my phone as a computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by max-greece

Collapse -
You are limiting yourself
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 21, 2012 9:06 PM PST

A cell phone, no matter which model, is not a replacement for a computer. Get a cheap netbook or laptop computer instead. There is no easy way (if it all) to do what you want to accomplish with your phone.

Collapse -
lets just assume I know what I want to do.
by max-greece / February 22, 2012 12:10 AM PST

Thank-you for the response - although it is not exactly what I am looking for. The phone is all the computer I need for 99% of the tasks that I do. This is not to say that I do not have other computers - merely that this feature of the phone would be interesting.

I have already tested the setup for performance and found that in general it outperforms my wife's net-book. Certainly for handling video the phone is streaks ahead.

In general my computer use is for email, web-browsing, some office work using Google Docs and a bit of video watching / music listening. The phone handles all this with aplomb.

Right now the limitation is practical - to use the phone connected to the TV requires having cables running the length of the living room, which is risky as well as unsightly.

I know Android supports touchpads (they are built in to various phones) so all I need is a bluetooth touchpad / keyboard and I am good to go.

Collapse -
So why not get a bluetooth keyboard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 1:28 AM PST

Too many to list here.

Collapse -
Actually I need something a bit beyond a bluetooth keyboard.
by max-greece / February 22, 2012 3:03 AM PST

I have a bluetooth keyboard but it is for the iPad my daughter has and offers no way of controlling the interface. What I want it either a bluetooth touchpad or a bluetooth keyboard/touchpad combo.

If you know of one please share the info.

Collapse -
No problem
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 2:02 AM PST

Just offered my opinion. If you are happy with the phone and have the knowledge to configure it then do so. Too many folks post similar inquiries without knowing all the facts and/or limitations. You sound knowledgeable and it shouldn't be an issue. Have a good day.

Collapse -
Understood and thanks
by max-greece / February 22, 2012 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: No problem

Hopefully I'll be able to report back on a success soon....

Collapse -
Example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Understood and thanks
Collapse -
That one won't but it helped me find one that might....
by max-greece / February 22, 2012 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: Example.
Collapse -
Answer
This came to me today about Ubuntu on Android.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 2:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Interesting but probably a red herring
by max-greece / February 22, 2012 3:08 AM PST

Android in its native form offers sufficient apps to be a computer replacement for casual users. The combo of a browser that supports flash, Google Docs or 3rd party MS Office clone, email etc. are all there and make a basic computer. The advantage of being able to run Ubuntu would be in more esoteric applications that are likely to need CPU power that will expose the limitations of the phone (IMHO).

As it is I video skype using my phone in preference to my PC all the time now - works comparably well and is much more portable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.