Camcorders

General discussion

Trying to show video tape from Canon ZR830 on tv or laptop

by elsabordelamor / April 29, 2007 6:18 PM PDT

I have just made the first film with my canon ZR830 and I want to show the film on my laptop. I have the USB cable hooked up per the instructions, but my laptop doesn't seem to be recognizing it. Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2200 (about three years old) and runs Windows XP. I'm pretty new to sharing digital data between devices, so I may be missing something that is simply language based. I can't find in the manual where it refers to transferring data that's on tape. It only refers to transferring data from a memory card. Can I transfer the data from the tape onto a memory card? What are my options for showing this film on my Toshiba plasma screen? My TV only has ports for the red and white cables, non for the yellow...can someone set me straight?

Ultimately, I want to show it on the TV, went to the laptop as plan B. Thank you very much for your input, Digital Newbie (Kim Marie)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to show video tape from Canon ZR830 on tv or laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to show video tape from Canon ZR830 on tv or laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use Firewire to transfer video. The USB connection is for
by Kiddpeat / April 29, 2007 8:39 PM PDT

still photos.

Collapse -
you said a few odd things...
by boya84 / April 29, 2007 11:24 PM PDT
"I want to show the film on my laptop": You can't use the laptop as a monitor like a TV. I am not aware of any laptops that allow their monitor to be used as anything more than the PC monitor.

"I have the USB cable hooked up per the instructions": Connecting the USB cable is not tough to do... In those instructions you refer to, what is that USB connection supposed to be used for? It is usually in the title of the section or the first paragraph of the section.

"I can't find in the manual where it refers to transferring data that's on tape": Perhaps the section which starts on page 98, "Connecting to a computer" will help. Your laptop likely does not have a FireWire port. FireWire, IEEE1394, DV and iLink are all the same thing. Your laptop needs a PCMCIA card. You will also need a FireWire cable - they don't include it in the box. The one you get will depend on the PC card you get for your computer. How much available space do you have on your computer? Video uses LOTS of room and laptops don't normally have large hard drives. Using FireWire, you can transfer the video on the miniDV tape to to the computer for editing... if you have a video editing application. Normally, after editing, you can show the edited content on a TV by connecting it using the video out... Normally, this is a 15-pin x-VGA cable (the same on you might use when you connect to a projector - if your TV is equipped with that (most are not - mine is) - you may also be able to use an S-Video cable. Most TVs do not have a FireWire port - again, this is just for transferring data from the camera to the computer for editing...

"What are my options for showing this film on my Toshiba plasma screen? My TV only has ports for the red and white cables, non for the yellow": The red and white cables are normally right audio and left audio. If your Toshiba plasma has nowhere to plug in Yellow (video)-Red-White, what are the game console, DVD player or VHS tape player, cable box, satellite receiver, DVR connected too? If you have none of these, someone paid way too much for that plasma. My Panasonic plasma has multiple sets of analog, component and HDMI cables on the back... including connectors on the front. Maybe there are some side connectors you missed? Which model Toshiba plasma is it?
Collapse -
Sony DCR - TRV460 playback on laptop monitor
by mgrich / August 3, 2009 12:48 PM PDT

From what I've read so far you "Cannot" view tape from your video camcorder on you laptop monitor. Other than a TV monitor is there no other option to view tape via the camcorder?

I too have the USB cable and the camera menu includes the following:

- A/V-> DV OUT
- US Steam
- STD - USB
- PictBridge

This leads me to belive that there has to be some sort of playback functionality via my laptop monitor using the USB cable included with the camcorder. If so, is there a program I need to install in order to view the video?

Thanks for the feedback!

Collapse -
Correct.
by boya84 / August 3, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

"you "Cannot" view tape from your video camcorder on you laptop monitor" - not in the way the original poster wanted.

"Other than a TV monitor is there no other option to view tape via the camcorder?" Possibly, but it is not high quality DV format video - like when you connect the AV composite video to a TV with AV inputs.

"A/V" is the analog AV out just mentioned. "DV OUT" is the DV port -the 4-pin firewire port. No mention of USB. An a USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter/hub thing won't work, either.
USB Streaming can work under certain conditions... It is not supported so if t does not work, most manufacturers will not help you. Not all camcorders have this option. You must have a specific USB driver for THAT camcorder and you must be using some sort of application - typically from that manufacturer. The original poster was asking about a Canon that is a couple of years old. Your Sony TRV460 is many years older than that Canon. From Sony, I think you want the Picture Image Viewer, a LOT of luck and somehow accidentally getting the whole thing to work.

STD-USB has nothing to do with video.

Good luck!
PictBridge has nothing to do with video.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.