Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Trying to restore shortcuts to 2 x Icons (created by ANO)

by TechnofobiaRulesOK / October 4, 2012 12:13 AM PDT

User Name is entirely appropriate - NB.

Apologies if this is an old chestnut, but it is new to me.

Stand-alone Windows XP PC

Extremely simple steps instructions required (please ?).

Tried to find the RUN Dialogue Box, buit got stuck with Save to Hard Drive - How ?

Masive thanks for your time & help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Trying to restore shortcuts to 2 x Icons (created by ANO)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Trying to restore shortcuts to 2 x Icons (created by ANO)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My answer to your other post.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 12:23 AM PDT

(that was in a very old thread): http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102-220354/i-can-t-see-run-dialog-box-pressing-on-start-button/?messageId=5369231#message5369231 (which I locked now).

Things you don't tell:
1. Did the first method from Tufenuf work? That was this: Right click your Start button, choose Properties, under the Start Menu tab click the Customize button, under the Advanced tab-(Start Menu Items:) checkmark Run Command, click OK/Apply/OK
2. Why you think you need the run box to solve your problem about missing shortcuts.
3. Who ANO is (your boyfriend? or any of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANO ? Or something else?)
4. If ANO can't create them again
5. What you mean with "off-line storage devices".
6. What you mean with "shortcuts to links"
7. Why you can't make that shortcuts in some other way (or did the links disappear also?).
8. Where that short-cuts were before they disappeared
9. Why that shortcuts disappeared and if they don't happen to be in the recycle bin.
10. Why you didn't copy those shortcuts to your backup if you didn't want to lose them.

Ten easy questions, so I'm expecting 10 answers.

The answer to how to save the reg-file to your hard drive is to click on that link Tufenuf gave, and then click on the Save File button in the dialog box that pop ups.

Kees

Collapse -
10 Easy Questions answered
by TechnofobiaRulesOK / October 4, 2012 2:35 AM PDT

1. Line 5 of my original Thread refers.

2. Run box required because that was what appeared to be required.

3. Am Male and Straight ! ANO = ANOther.

4. ANO is not here.

5. Seagate & Iomega are the 2 x Storage Devices - Copy certain Data and Files to them OFF-Line, as security against Loss.

6. Each have shortcuts, BUT now (for inexplicable reasons) they have bid RED Questyion Marks over them indicating that they cannot be linked.

7. I'll gladly try. But what would you suggest. Would it not be easier to recreate what had worked 'fine' for 2/3 yrs.

8. Dont understand. No idea where shortcuts are or go - kinda hard to see software.

9. Shortcuts have NOT disappeared. Still there,as Icons, BUT they dont work. Zilch in Recycle Bin. Have checked.

10. Good point, BUT right now - Shutting the stable door, AFTER the horse has bolted is the phrase that springs to mind.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Re: your answers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 5:46 AM PDT

2. What exactly was required (by whom or what?) to do in that run-box?
3, 4. Thanks for the explanation <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> Blush .
5. Great idea.
6. Very unclear.
8. I had expected an answer like "on the desktop".
9. If they still are there, they aren't in the recycle bin.That's 100% OK.

You told you needed to "restore" them. There's no way to interprete that as "remove question marks" without being told so.
And I surely wonder what those question marks are. I've never seen desktop icons with question marks on them.

Now an alternative for the run box:
Start>All programs>Desktop accessories>Command prompt.
That's 4 clicks to get a very big run box. Now type what you would have typed there (that's still a mystery) and end with the <enter>-key (there's no OK button, but the enter key does the same here).

Hope this solves your problem.

Kees

Collapse -
Let's get down to BASICS ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 4, 2012 9:11 AM PDT

and fix the shortcuts.

Right click on EACH of the shortcuts and then select PROPERTIES. Tell us what EACH says about the shortcut's properties since they will point to the file that is to be executed.

If, for example the shortcut's properties says something like C:\batch_files\Outlook_back.bat then we would know to look at the batch file indicated to see what the problem is.

If these external drives were disconnected at some point and got assigned different drive letters that too could cause the shortcut to not work.

It is up to YOU to tell us SPECIFICS about the shortcuts and not make us guess about your abbreviations.

Collapse -
Short-cuts that aren't !! Aaaaargh !
by TechnofobiaRulesOK / October 4, 2012 8:16 PM PDT

What 'abbreviations' are you guessing ... ? 'ANO' I thought was fairly universal.

Hey Ho - I will write in full to save ... etc

Right click, then Propereties, results a window called Shortcut to Seagate (F) Properties. In it is shown a Target & Target Location - F:\

An Option across the bottom being 'Find Target (or two others).

This Option results in Browse - but where - if I try 'My Computer' it shows drives - A, C, D, E (& J, which is interesting as that is the drive of the 2nd Off-line Storage device that has the Red Question Mark on it).

It appears, but I may well be worng, that my PC is having difficulty in Locating Drives.

Could this Issue be caused by incorrect Removal of Hardware (not doing Safely Remove .... process) or by Installing some New Software - like a PC Clean-up or Maintenance suite.

Many Thanks once again for you help

Cheers

Collapse -
Re: shortcuts
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 8:34 PM PDT

First check if you can access those disks from My Computer. Don't use shortcuts, just find it and click. If it's not there or give an error message, either something is wrong with the disk or with the computer.
If it can be accessed: just make new shortcut (right click on an empty part of the desktop, choose New>Shortcut) and let it point to the drive letter currently assigned to your Seagate disk in My Computer. Or edit the current one to point to the right drive letter. Or realise you don't need those shortcuts if you know how to use My Computer and delete them.

The first thing to do if they can't be accessed: find another PC (friend, family, work, where-ever) and see if you can access them there.

If they can't be accessed elsewhere either, well, it's just a backup disk. So you won't lose any data by throwing it away and buying a replacement, will you?

If they can be accessed elsewhere but not on your PC, something is wrong with the PC. It can be hardware and it can be software. A PC Cleanup suite can certainly cause such things (why did your PC need cleanup and why did you trust such a program?). Anyway, you can't claim it didn't work: your PC is cleaner without those 2 disks.
It might be time then to find a repair shop and let them solve it. Take your recovery disks (or Windows disk and driver disk) with you, just in case they need it.

Best of luck,

Kees

Collapse -
PS.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: shortcuts

Buying new disks might not be necessary, if you know how to use Disk Management to repartition and format them. That's the case if they don't turn up in My Computer, but you can see them as 'unallocated' or 'unknown' filesystem in Disk Management.

If you hesitate about your own competences, let it do by a repair shop also.

Kees

Collapse -
From what you describe ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 5, 2012 2:08 PM PDT

Either the drive letters changed or the drives can't be seen by the computer as the shortcut is simply to the drive itself and if double clicked would open that drive in a Windows Explorer window IF THE DRIVE IS RECOGNIZED AND ASSIGNED THE DRIVE LETTER by the OS.

Are A, C, D, E (& J (I am betting that the (& might be drive I) the drive letters you normally see in Windows Explorer (or My Computer)?

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Now select Disk Management (if you don't see it expand Storage) and see if the drives show up and what Disk Management says about each. If they are there but the drive letters have simply changed you can use Disk Management to assign the proper drive letter to them again.

If your computer can't "see" the drives make sure they are turned on and if they are do as Kees suggested to discover if the drives are visible to another computer.

If not I wouldn't toss them right away, I would try taking them out of their enclosure and getting a converter to interface their connector (IDE or SATA) to USB unless maybe they are firewire or SCSI drives.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.